Thread: Lab pups, AKC

Default Lab pups, AKC

Fellow small game hunters, I have the upland (and waterfowl) gun dogs for you.
    I've also posted more info on the waterfowling thread, under AKC lab pups, on 11/13. All the info on the sire and the dam is there.
    I have 1 black female, 1 black male, and 2 yellow males. The stud and the dam are incredible hunting dogs; great noses, biddable, good disposition, great confirmation, and both have extensive experience in the uplands (and on ducks).
    I can provide pictures, pedigrees, and any information you want, if you're interested. Why wonder if you've walked past birds, or if that one you thought you hit good is dead or not? With a pup from these dogs, you'll know for sure!
    You can reply to the thread, email me at tjking@hotmail.com, or call me at 373-6125.
    Thanks!

I love labs,,I own 2 of them right now.My first lab I bought was about 13 years ago.He was a "purebred",had all the lineage paperwork,I even saw the parents of the pups.I spent $400.00 for the pup,I figured I want a good bird dog,get something with championship lineage..done deal.I worked with the dog...yeah..he became THE YARD DOG.He didnt like water,didnt want to retrieve.And if I did shoot a bird he would try to inhale it.I finally ended up getting a lab again ,not quite purebred ,no paperwork.That dog was a natural,best nose I ever saw,Retrieve,flush,,,never even really had to work with the dog.He died a few years ago.Never thought Id cry for a dog...I lost it.But i learned for myself, anyways,that purebred doesnt really mean a whole lot.ill take the mixed..There calmer ,and easier to work with.The purebred I did own came from the Hiwood lineage of labs,Quite a few up here.

Default look before you leap

there could be some truth in what you say. Trialing is one thing, hunting is another. But my dog DOES hunt, and so does the stud, and both have excellent dispositions. I invite anyone to check out my dog/pups/whatever! The HUNTING lines are there. Are you GUARANTEED a good hunting dog? Of course not. You can't guarantee something like that with animals. But are your chances better to have a good hunting dog when the dog comes from long lines of HUNTING dogs on both sides? Of course.
    So maybe you'll get a good dog out of a questionable breeding, maybe not. My point is due your due diligence and make an informed decision, either way.

Default Look

I agree - hunting instincts are critical. How are the Sire and Dam hips and eyes? That's critical too.

Default hips and eyes

The stud is OFA good, and CERF normal.
    The dam has never been done. Her mom and dad were both PenHIp passes, and not ofa'd. Where we were in Texas, the closest vet that did CERF was three hours away, and only three days a week, so I never got it done.
    When I moved up here, getting my family into a house and getting going on my new job was my first concern, and the next thing you know, she was in heat, and this stud was available.
    The dam is three, with absolutely no problems, and I will put her through the paces, lactating and all, to prove it. Well, I should say, I'll demonstrate some speed work and retrieves, but obviously she can't use too much energy while caring for the pups. But before her litter, I would road her and my Spaniel up to 6 miles a crack, and when it's over she's ready for more! I have talked to people that live and die for OFA ratings, and others who think it's a total scam. I think I fall somewhere in between, and I definitely wouldn't let it be my one and only dealbreaking criteria, after all, it didn't stop me from buying the dam! I think it's more important to feed your dog properly and be careful what kind of surfaces it jumps on to (and how far) during those first two years.