Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Private property reminder

Default Private property reminder

Every year for the last 10 years I've had at least one encounter around moose season with a hunter on my small farm (30 miles outside Fairbanks) who didn't obtain permission to hunt here, and it's gotten increasingly worse since the cow permit drawing was established in this area. This year I've already had two separate hunters, one from Palmer and one from Anchorage, scouting the woods on my farm, and season isn't even open yet. I've never had to involve law enforcement, but I have encountered some pretty crappy attitudes, and that doesn't help give private land owners a good impression of hunters.

I'm sure these folks are the exception, not the rule, but I just want to remind folks that just because you're beyond the city limits doesn't mean there's no private property. Please check the land ownership where you plan to hunt, and don't just assume it's open public ground.

For what it's worth I'm a hunter too, and I live here year-round and watch the game daily. There's much better hunting on State land just a few miles away. I won't give away my favorite spots, but I'll be glad to point you in the right direction and probably give you a much better chance of success. I imagine that's the case for most people in my position if you approach them with a friendly inquiry.

Hope everyone has a good season.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

I fully agree with you Iron sites. thanks for the reminder... i too have folks every year try to use my land. I have even had people using my camper when i have returned home.... and been told OH well...

just because you may not immediately see a house or cabin.... in a drive by. does not mean some one does not live out there... Fairbanks and the Interior area can be VERY deseving... there are THOUSANDS of people off the road just a little bit. There is very little room along side the Highways that is not already privately owned, at least in sections.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Is the property posted because if it's not thats just going to happen. If you don't want hunters on your property you need to post it.
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Default You've got it backwards

Quote Originally Posted by ironartist View Post
    Is the property posted because if it's not thats just going to happen. If you don't want hunters on your property you need to post it.
    It's the hunter's responsibility to know the ownership of the land s/he's hunting on, not the land owner's responsibility to compensate for the hunter's laziness and irresponsibility. "It's just going to happen" is a poor excuse for illegal, irresponsible behavior.

Still, I have posted my property four times over 10 years, each time at considerable expense. Each time people have shot up and torn down the signs, and it has not had any effect on the number of trespassers. Increasing responsible behavior, not increasing the number of signs, is the solution to illegal trespass.

It is strange that people do not even see the signs, and if they do see them, they figure that "THEY" are SPECIAL, and the signs are for others.

They Do NOT see the Video Cameras.

What people do see is American Flags, and for the most part respect the American Flag. So I have started putting American Flags above the signs, and it seems to help.

Quote Originally Posted by ironsights View Post
    It's the hunter's responsibility to know the ownership of the land s/he's hunting on, not the land owner's responsibility to compensate for the hunter's laziness and irresponsibility. "It's just going to happen" is a poor excuse for illegal, irresponsible behavior.

Still, I have posted my property four times over 10 years, each time at considerable expense. Each time people have shot up and torn down the signs, and it has not had any effect on the number of trespassers. Increasing responsible behavior, not increasing the number of signs, is the solution to illegal trespass.
    Right on! You're very respectful in your posting and handling of this, and I applaud you.

Private property rights are a pillar of the constitution. Anyone who doesn't back that principle is anti-freedom. You've gone out of your way to help people know that it is private property. Time for them to step up to the plate and respect your rights with a little effort of their own.

Lack of respect for private property is even worse than gun control in my book.

If theres no perimeter markers " it's just gonna happen" I used marker paint and painted tree's orange at eye level to show it's private property, they can't remove or destroy my permanent property markers,
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

I am sorry for your issues w/ people busting up your stuff and I would love to see them arrested and jailed for the offense. Legally however the requirement is with the land owner to post their land.
    We have absolutly hammered this topic in the past. As of today however the statute remains unchanged.

http://www.forums.outdoorsdirectory....ad.php?p=69234

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I am sorry for your issues w/ people busting up your stuff and I would love to see them arrested and jailed for the offense. Legally however the requirement is with the land owner to post their land.
    We have absolutly hammered this topic in the past. As of today however the statute remains unchanged.

Personally, I'm not interested in seeing people arrested and jailed. I just want to see them be informed and behave respectfully toward others.

I'm aware of the statute. It says "enter and remain upon" not cut trees, dig holes, run ATVs in muddy areas, frighten livestock, damage farm equipment, shoot or tear down signs, or aim weapons toward my house. I guess you can come stand on my land all you want, but when you start causing damage, I don't believe any court would say it doesn't matter because I didn't have signs posted.

I do have very strong feelings about this, but I didn't intend to start a debate. I guess if that's where this thread goes, that's fine, but I just wanted to post a well-intentioned reminder to people to have land ownership in mind when they set out on their hunting trip.
    Last edited by ironsights; 07-26-2009 at 12:45. Reason: improve clarity

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    We have absolutely hammered this topic in the past. As of today however the statute remains unchanged.

SO do the Native Corporations have to post every 50'.......?

They charge rent to use their land......Can I charge $300.00 per day or any part there-of, rent for trespass.

Why do city people living on 1/10 acre not need to post....? Can I camp in their yard......not likely.

I last fall I had people trespass on my property, they rolled their car on the roof, three people hurt, when they righted the car it had spilled engine oil, battery acid, and antifreeze on the property. Their insurance Co. say tough, the Alaska State Trooper investigating the accident would not even give them a ticket for anything, Get this because it happened on private property and not public property. He (The Trooper) advised I leave my property or be arrested. Yes, I was acting like an upset private property owner.

Default Thank you ironsights...

I come from a long family line of farmers in the midwest, and I was raised to ask permission.

Two years ago, one of my long time Alaska hunting partners won a cow permit in the Delta ag area, and he asked that I go with him to help harvest. We spent a whole day knocking on doors to obtain the farmer's permission to hunt on HIS property. Most people said no, but a few said yes. When we got a "yes" we asked about any restrictions, preferred access routes through THEIR fields, etc. We told them when we would be hunting, and asked if they wanted us to check in and out. When the cow was harvested, everything was removed out of HIS field except the gut pile, which had been ok'ed to leave.

Last year, another one of my firends won a Delta cow permit. I called one of the farmers who had given us permission the year before, and he hesitantly gave us permission again. However, he added that he had bad experiences the year before, and was thinking that he may start saying no when asked. People had left hides in HIS field, which HE had to remove in the spring (fun job...not).

We are both the problem and the solution.

Doc

P.S. Please don't PM me asking for names of the farmers who said yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeak View Post

He (The Trooper) advised I leave my property or be arrested. Yes, I was acting like an upset private property owner.

Now that sucks!

Default Disorderly conduct

Now were all learning about disorderly conduct on private property. Sigh!

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    Now were all learning about disorderly conduct on private property. Sigh!
    I don't understand your statement.......Who is being disorderly, the property owner, or those committing trespass. Or both....? Or would you like this whole subject to go away......?

If you live in a city that is legal to hunt in then yes you could go into someones backyard and take game.Property belongs to the land owner but the game belongs to the state and if the property is not posted anyone may take the state owned game that passes onto the proberty if in season and the person has a license.Native land and federal parks which are not under state law don't have to post as they have their own laws

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    If you live in a city that is legal to hunt in then yes you could go into someones backyard and take game.Property belongs to the land owner but the game belongs to the state and if the property is not posted anyone may take the state owned game that passes onto the proberty if in season and the person has a license.Native land and federal parks which are not under state law don't have to post as they have their own laws
    Well, sounds great, but would you DO IT......?

Like Doc, I was raised to ask permission. In Idaho, it is a mandatory 1 year loss of your hunting license if convicted of trespassing. I think most people who trespass would be pissed off if they had land and someone trespassed on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeak View Post
    SO do the Native Corporations have to post every 50'.......?
    Yes they do have to post their land and in the case of Ahtna Corp they are doing so along the more popular easements that pass through their land.

Quote Originally Posted by ironsights View Post

I agree 100%

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I live in Anchorage. It is legal to hunt within city limits here. However, I would never dream of going into someones yard to take game nor do I believe it is legal to do so.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast