Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best bet for tommorow up the parks?

Default Best bet for tommorow up the parks?

Ya a bit late. Just got back from a Kenia float. It's pretty dead. Headed up tomorrow with my folks from Denver to talketna sp? iPhone. Water was up 8 inches or more from a couple weeks ago

just looking to get a salmon on pops line. Any decent bets, have not been up there recently

thanks for any tips!

Drop a line in at sheep, you will catch something. Watch out for bears.

Default bears?

Has there been recent problems?

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    Has there been recent problems?
    There was a brown bear spotted at Sheep creek around the 15 of July. The bears in the Valley seem to be less confrontational than the ones in Anchorage though (correct me if I'm wrong.) I don't worry a whole lot about them. I make a lot of noise, I have spray and I keep my distance.

There are a lot of Pinks in Sheep and a few Chums and Silvers
    That's what she said...

All the rivers and streams along Parks Hwy seem to be crawling with pinks and chum with the occasional silvers mixed in so take your pick...The bite has been quite a bit slower than last weekend but there are more silvers being caught than last weekend. Silvers are still a bit few and far between right now though...Good luck.

i always see plenty of sign on sheep but only seen 2 bears so far. and they were plenty shy.

Default Sheep

The reason I asked is that I had an encounter on the last Monday that kings was open. It was a large sow with 3 small cubs that charged multiple times in rapid succession. I was pretty sure she was going to kill me for a while. I was unarmed since I've never had problems in that area before. Called it into Fish and Game the next day but never heard anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    The reason I asked is that I had an encounter on the last Monday that kings was open. It was a large sow with 3 small cubs that charged multiple times in rapid succession. I was pretty sure she was going to kill me for a while. I was unarmed since I've never had problems in that area before. Called it into Fish and Game the next day but never heard anymore.
    Wouldn't you be pretty PO'd if you had to raise three small cubs with no baby dady and no child support? You're right though that is pretty unusual for that area. Most of the bears stay pretty far upstream because it is easier to catch fish up there.

Problem is we had a bad year for kings so she is probably doing the same thing we do. The fish aren't in the normal places so she is trying to find them.
    That's what she said...

Default not really

Quote Originally Posted by matjpow View Post
    Wouldn't you be pretty PO'd if you had to raise three small cubs with no baby dady and no child support?
    If I were a bear I would just be happy that the dead beat dad wasn't going to eat them...

i dont ever forget to bring the ol .44 with me, and i usually bring a .22 pistol for grouse too when they are in season not much better than fresh salmon or trout and grouse breast cooked in the fire! not many grouse sightings on sheep this year so far though but they start gettin more active in august anyways.

Just wanted to give a felt on rock report of the trip

Sheep, alot of pinks, did not see any silvers landed

Montana, bows seemed to be off so you guessed it, pinks,,,,,also cool to see the big reds in the clear stream

Willow, more pinks, some chums, lots of people, saw a few silvers landed so it did keep me fishing at least a hour longer

We hit everything pretty quick, would have done better if we really hit the water hard, in one place

A side note, funny how close people will put themselves to fish. Or even just cast on top of you. I'm more the kind of guy who will try to outwalk folks, even if I dont catch fish. An example, on the Willow, people spaced pretty good, a guy and his kid come in, he puts his kid right in the middle of a guy and me, okay, crossing lines evey now and then no biggie, then he just keeps pushing his son further and further into the other guy, totally cutting off his angle, guy just talking and coaching his kid (how to snag by the way) like he is alone on the river, yelling to his friend to come over since he has a "spot" for him, which was my spot BTW. They tail snagged a few pinks,,,another guy comes in and stands 6 feet away,,,my que to exit, lots of river for people to be like that. (which was most likely the goal) slow enough to just move on

Again, it won't keep me off the rivers, just think its a interesting thing, maybe someone out there has a theory, I can't come up with one, I've fished alot of rivers down south, never with the type of shoulder to shoulder distance I've seen up here,

And really all it takes is walking a bit, just a funny and sometimes anoying thing

Default Sheep Creek

"also cool to see the big reds in the clear stream." Those 'big reds' you were seein are Kings.

I was at Sheep creek Saturday and saw a few silvers, a few chum and alot of pinks. Saw alot of people treating fish like garbage. Watched a guy pull a chum on the bank, pick it up by the gills and then threw it back in. I got in an argument with him but didnt do any good.

Quote Originally Posted by youngtrout View Post
    Just wanted to give a felt on rock report of the trip

Sheep, alot of pinks, did not see any silvers landed

Montana, bows seemed to be off so you guessed it, pinks,,,,,also cool to see the big reds in the clear stream

Willow, more pinks, some chums, lots of people, saw a few silvers landed so it did keep me fishing at least a hour longer

We hit everything pretty quick, would have done better if we really hit the water hard, in one place

A side note, funny how close people will put themselves to fish. Or even just cast on top of you. I'm more the kind of guy who will try to outwalk folks, even if I dont catch fish. An example, on the Willow, people spaced pretty good, a guy and his kid come in, he puts his kid right in the middle of a guy and me, okay, crossing lines evey now and then no biggie, then he just keeps pushing his son further and further into the other guy, totally cutting off his angle, guy just talking and coaching his kid (how to snag by the way) like he is alone on the river, yelling to his friend to come over since he has a "spot" for him, which was my spot BTW. They tail snagged a few pinks,,,another guy comes in and stands 6 feet away,,,my que to exit, lots of river for people to be like that. (which was most likely the goal) slow enough to just move on

Again, it won't keep me off the rivers, just think its a interesting thing, maybe someone out there has a theory, I can't come up with one, I've fished alot of rivers down south, never with the type of shoulder to shoulder distance I've seen up here,

And really all it takes is walking a bit, just a funny and sometimes anoying thing
    I think people get used to going to the Russian so when they see 6 open feet on the banks they think that is plenty of room. Maybe I'm rude but I will tell them nicely (sometimes) to find their own spot.

I will go out of my way to be off on my own. Sometimes it works out for me and I find a better spot, sometimes not but at least I have some tranquility.
    That's what she said...

Quote Originally Posted by matjpow View Post
    I think people get used to going to the Russian so when they see 6 open feet on the banks they think that is plenty of room. Maybe I'm rude but I will tell them nicely (sometimes) to find their own spot.
    It all depends on where you are fishing...Willow is a combat fishery, so if you're fishing the bank there near the walkway then expect to be shoulder to shoulder when people are fishing. If you don't like it then there's plenty of river...and with water levels the way they are, you can nearly walk to the other side in a pair of chest waders.

Not saying I'm a fan of it, just that it is to be expected at Willow if you fish the popular areas.

Yes kings. Just mistyped. The water is really down in the willow. You can cross the first channel and get to the second

ya one of these days maybe I'll speak up but typically I'll just outwalk. But it's happened some times I will find a spot away from people just to have the same thing happen there. That will typically get some reaction out of me

I don't want to start an argument but what I have discovered is that the majority of those people are from the big city. Why they think they can come up here or down on the peninsula and treat the river and resource the way they do I have no idea.

The people I have met from this forum board are the exception not the rule. We basically gave the Willow away when they put the road in. And the third leg of the willow is the best for fishing.

Default on the willow

I generally walk to any of the three fingers. I do float it as well...but sometimes just walk it. I have had rafters ask how I got 'way the hell up here?"...anyhow, last year I did have some yahoo leading a group of folks on rafts actually beach and start fishing right on top of me....then one got a snag, and the idiot that was leading jumped in a one person raft and proceeded to go out and beat the water with his oars trying to undo the snag...of course he was drifting right into my casting area (I was on a fly rod). So I kept right on casting, and about hooked him in the eye...when he finally caught on. No words were ever exchanged (did my .454 in a chest holster prevent that?)...anyhow...I was simply flabbergasted at this fools actions. I did overhear some of the group and they all lived out in the valley.
    I ended up getting so pissed I just left before I did something stupid.

On another note, I have also waded out to the gravel bar islands there at the mouth of the Willow....on numerous occasions. It is a nice way to get away from the bank fisher-people. Haven't done it yet this year...so have no idea of the water level there yet...but know that it can be done normally.

Can anyone update us with water levels on the parks hwy streams?

Default Water levels good

Parks HWY streams still have good water clarity and levels.

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    Parks HWY streams still have good water clarity and levels.

That good, hows the fishing lately? I'm think of heading back down that way this weekend for a midnight run, I've heard of the pinks and chums, how about a silver or two in Sheep or Montana? Any trout?

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast