Thread: Got too many reds to fit into your freezer?

Arrow Got too many reds to fit into your freezer?

I did. This has been a good year dipnetting.

So I gathered up the stuff that had been in the freezer awhile that my wife hasn't been feeding to the kids and took it down to Beans Cafe Anchorage (about the 1100 block of East 3rd Ave), just a few minutes ago.

Beans was closed, it was raining, and across the parking lot at the St. Francis Shelter there was a line about 150 people long (did I mention its been raining all day?) waiting to get a cup of chili from the huge pot of it in the back of a van in the parking lot.

I gave the lady that was dishing out the soup about 40 pounds of fully cooked food and you should have seen her face! Then when she saw that 90% of it was individually pre-portioned and wrapped securely - even a bigger smile.

My youngest child (4) was with me at the time - and understood exactly what we were doing. He said it was like when he's in church with two toys and the kid next to him has none so he gives one of his toys to the other kid. (That's my boy! )

So if all your reds don't fit in your freezer this year, please consider dropping off your extra food to them if you're in the Anchorage area.

I hope I don't get anyone in trouble by saying this; I don't know if what I did violates any St. Francis Shelter rules or such - I just know it was a good idea, it worked out very well, and is an experience my boy will remember the rest of his life....

Him: "Daddy, I don't think those people took a bath today."
    Me: "No son, none of them have a bathtub, or a house, or food, or a Mommy or Daddy to feed them. That's why we shared some of our food with them."
    Him: "OK"

Default Good Job

Hope no one has those kind of rules there...if they do they need to be changed.

Default Too many fish = wanton waste

In my opinion a person shouild never harvest more than they need. If you already had 1/2 a freezer full why did you harvest so much?
    Why not give them the good fresh stuff and keep the old stuff for yourself? I mean you are the one who overharvested.
    My first year as a resident I quickly learned how much salmon I needed and could use. There really should be a wanton waste law for this kind of thing.
    In my opinion NO ONE should ever harvest more that they can use. I know it happens but 40 pounds is a lot of fish.
    Without prior arraignment no one should plan on harvesting fish with the intention of giving it away to charity or the zoo. If we all did this the Dump would be full of freezer burned fish.Every year the zoo quickly fills up (about a week or so)with fish and have to turn all others away.
    One can usually find a friend neighbor or local senior citizen to give a few fish to but I would not count on finding a home for 40-50#+ especially if I want to keep the fresh stuff and give them my old possibly freezer burnt (not that yours necessarily was) fish.
    I'm not trying to bash you speciffically and it was a very good gesture,but if you had not found a home for this fish you would have thrown away 40# of good fish. Only to replace it with 40# of fish that could have gone on to spawn or feed someone else who had room for it.
    Why not can some of your excess. Canned stuff lasts for several years and never freezer burns.
    If you or your wife won't cook these fish often enough reduce your harvest every year until you find an amount you will consume. sure 5-10# of extra is ok but 40# or more is a lot of waste!
    1) I know approx. what I will consume each year.
    2) I know some people who will usually accept a few fillets well packaged and not freezer burnt.If it was bad I would keep it and give them the Fresh stuff.
    3) If I find I have way too much fish in the spring my friends and I plan a fish fry or bbq and invite a lot of people to use it up.
    4) I sometimes smoke/can it so it will last.(I can always find takers for my smoked salmon and smoked halibut)
    Lets be enviromental stewards of the land and waters.
    Take only what you need.
    Do not plan on giving fish away without prior arraignments.
    Sorry for the rant but stuff like this really irks me.And it makes me wonder if this kind of stuff isn't partly to blame some of our salmon streams struggling to meet escapment goals.
    With all the dippers out there wil the Kenai ever hit there escapement goals? makes me wonder.
    CHRIS

Default Waste

I agree with you kasilofchrisn if a person was to clean out 40# of old fish to make room for new fish, that would be wanton waste.Familyman posted that he cleaned out old food I dont think he was talking about last years catch.I have to do the same thing all the time to make room in my freezer for the good stuff.Mostly it is the huge yearold boxes of hot pockets and cheese sticks and old vegis from the garden that get tossed.I have a family of five and my mom and dad are old and really cant get out and fish and hunt much so we can go through a freezer full of fish and game pretty quick in a years time.Looks like familyman unloaded some old grub (not fish and game) to a good cause and stocked up on some Alaska goodness,but we all know that some folks do kill more than they can consume and like kasilofchrisn I have no use those folks.

Sorry I didn't realize at first that you did say food and not fish.
    Every year I do see and hear dippers and other fisherman talk about throwing out fish to make room for new.
    Yeah we all have a little food that goes bad or gets forgtotten. Especially us slope workers. you forget what you bought or when it expires.I still think people should call any charity before dropping off things especially food. Hate to see it get tossed when it might have been used if a person called ahead and made arrangements.
    CHRIS

Default not bad food

None of it was bad food.

We live pretty high on the hog here I believe (especially after seeing 150 homeless people in line in the rain waiting for one cup of chili...). My wife loves to buy lots of food and we have a big family. But my wife is not a good food selector when buying and is extremely picky when eating.

Thus we accumulate lots of stuff that takes up freezer space that she won't eat or feed to the kids. I'm ashamed to say that in the past I've sometimes just thrown some stuff out; like those dumb boneless turkey roasts.

My post went into the dipnet section not to encourage dipnet fish to be given away; that's illegal I think. But because dipnetters (similar to when you bring a moose or buffalo home) have lots to store in their freezer right now, causing a possible overflow problem.

I can't make much change in my wife's habits, and she makes very good coin at her 9-5 gig and has a second job too, so taking her excess to the homeless is a real eye opening solution for me to not feel bad about her excesses, which I have been. A win win, that I wanted to share.

Sorry for raising ire; not my intent.

P.S. We ran out of salmon about 8 weeks before dipnetting season began, which "forced" me (meaning my wife asked me nicely to please do this) to be on the Kasilof during the opening minute of the season right at midnight, along with about 30 other weird people... What fun it was.