Thread: talachulitna info.

Default talachulitna info.

Got a call today from friends in the lower 48 saying that they aren't coming up for their fishing trip. The lodge (not naming names) called to cancel their trip due to the river drying up. I take that as meaning seriously low water rather than being dry.

Don't know much else other than that. Anyone out there have any info on water levels on the Tal? Most if not all of the water around the house is higher than normal, so it sounds sketchy to me, but I haven't been that direction in many moons so I can't speak inteligently about anything north of Palmer or Wasilla.

Thanks.

Mike

Its all true. Unfortunatly I just got back from dragging/carring my raft from judd lake to the Skwentna. Feel like Ive packed a moose. We had to get out in the so called class IV rapids and drag the raft through. The trout fishing was fantastic. That really helped us forget the pain.

Default low water

That's a bummer, I'm hoping that will all change before my trip....17 days and counting. Does anybody know what river gauge to watch to compare water levels for the Tal? It sounds like there is some precip in the forecast for the region. Will it amount to much?

Thumbs up Plenty of water Now

The Tal has risen! The rains will change things out there pretty quick. Silvers in the forecast...

SWEET! 9 Days and counting.

Default Back from the Tal

Just fot back from floating the Tal. I spent 7 days floating from Judd lake to the Skwentna. The fishing was excellent in the creek with some silvers showing from the forks down. I''ve never seen so many fish in my life. The pinks started showing in the creek and got thicker the farther we went. They were spawning throughout the system...it was amazing. I know now why people get so excited about fishing for rainbows in Alaska.

Thumbs up Had a few trips out...

Yep - all said the same thing --- and the Silvers are coming in now.

How many were in your party?

What boats?

Who did ya fly out with?

How did all the logistics, camps, etc. work out.

Sounds like ya had a great time!

Any Pics?

Tillanook - when did you get off the river? What was the water like (high, low, etc), any bear traffic? I'm thinking of heading out this week.

Sorry, about the late post but have been trying to catch up on my to do list after my trip. We got off the river on Aug 19th. I'd say it was a little on the low side at least in the creek. We did get some rain a couple of days and the river turned brown for one day.
    We did not see a single bear, however there was a bear sighting about a 1/4 mile up Friday Creek... we missed him by just a few minutes.
    We used Trail Ridge to fly us...couldn't have asked for better service. Jerry at Alaska Down Stream provided a 13 ft Sotar raft. There were just two of us. I have pictures but they need to be scanned as they were shot on film. I bought a new waterproof digital camera for the trip. It was a Pentax Optio W60... it quit working a few days before we left so that was a major bummer.
    The trip went of without any major problems and was above and beyond what I'd imagined it would be. We can't wait to do it again.