Thread: Trimmed my cases back too much, Problem?

Default Trimmed my cases back too much, Problem?

Well, I got into my groove and wasnt checking my work till I was all Done. Somewhere at the begining my trimmer came loose. I was trying to trim my cases to 2.610. Most came out to 2.600. with a few hitting the 2.595 Mark.

Will these be dangerous or worth continuing on with them?

Lucky I only did 40 and they were on brass that was probably getting close to shot out anyway. But still Id like to salvage these

I would not be afraid to use them 10 or 11 thousands short in most chambering since you should still have plenty of neck on the bullet. Now if it was a load I liked to have crimped I would chuck them so I would not need to fidget with them for the rest of their life. I like to crush cases I have decided not to load with pliers at the mouth so I know they are scrap and donít keep rechecking them.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    Well, I got into my groove and wasnt checking my work till I was all Done. Somewhere at the begining my trimmer came loose. I was trying to trim my cases to 2.610. Most came out to 2.600. with a few hitting the 2.595 Mark.

Lucky I only did 40 and they were on brass that was probably getting close to shot out anyway. But still Id like to salvage these
    You don't say what the round is, but I don't see that small amount as a huge problem, so long as you keep them as a separate lot from others in that caliber. Since I do that as a matter of course so I can keep track of case condition and loading history, it wouldn't be a big deal for me at all.

Just measure to find the shortest and trim them all to that length. That would take care of a round that needed to be crimped, though you would have to readjust your dies from other lots to crimp that one. Not a problem for me, since I do that with crimp dies anyway when moving from one lot to another. It would also make the neck tension more consistent even in rounds that didn't need a crimp. Just mark the boxes with the length in large letters so you don't lose track of them.

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post

This sounds like it might be 300 Win Mag cases, but even with a short neck I would not worry about it. The biggest difference I can see in the shorter trim length is that you will have an extra few firings before having to trim these cases again. The exact length is not as important as cases being uniform in their length. I would keep these cases segregated from the others to ensure proper case length during the next several firings.

You may get a bit of gas blowby.

Considering that the necks of most new brass I buy are a touch to rough to simply chamfer and load, and considering that often the new brass is *just* shorter than the trim-to length prescribed, it's not at all unusual to find yourself with 0.010" - 0.015" too short brass when you set your trimmer to *just* clean up 95% of the cases.

As for increased blowby - giggling at that one. Would like to hear the rationale for that.