Thread: Garmin gps question

Default Garmin gps question

Looking to add a Garmin 520 to my freshwater river boat. Garmin site says it comes preloaded with a map.
    I have another Garmin on my ocean boat and know about the blue tooth chip I had to add to view the marine topography such as rocks, depths, etc.

Question is do I have to add any type of chip to the 520 so it will be useful when we run up to the Koyukuk and back? Main purpose of the GPS is to record areas where it was shallow/problem areas on our runs up or down. Precise mapping is not required. Just want to be able to follow the line back home to avoid problems.
    Tennessee

I don't have the 520 so I can't say exactly what is in it for a map. I doubt the one installed will show much of anything, if anything for you. However, for what you are wanting to do, it will leave a chicken track, or bread crumb trail whatever you want to call it just like your saltwater gps. You can easily blow that up and follow it back. And certainly, if you lock in waypoints and label them go or no go from trip out, you will see them on your return trip. Hope this helps you.

Default Garmin 520

Randy,

I have had both the 530 Rino and currently the 530 Hcx Rino. I use(d) both of them quite a lot. I'd recommend the 530 Hcx for the expandable memory, barometer/altimeter and NOAA weather radio. If you get the TOPO upgrade for Alaska it makes for a much richer, more detailed map. In fact, I'm going to upgrade the memory on mine to contain the bluechart software...then I'll know more about the underwater features in the saltwater.

For your purpose the 520/530 will work well as long as you're getting a good satellite array. The Hcx models have a much better antenna than the previous models and assist in better locating your position down to 10ft or better.

IceKing02
    Last edited by IceKing02; 07-26-2009 at 01:25. Reason: poor spelling the first time around

Thanks,
    I already have a nice handheld. Looking for something with a much bigger screen to mount on the dash of the Wooldridge.
    Tennessee

Default Maps

I just bought a new Ocean Pro yesterday and it came with a Garmin unit..
    They told me that the new ones come loaded with all the USA water maps so I dont have to buy the chip. I went to Seward today and it had all the details that my other boat's garmin has with the blue chip.
    Donnie

Default Garmin 520S

I bought the 520S after my older Garmin crapped out. They had a special on the 3D G2 map chips at half price so I got the basic 520S which only has the base map without detailed area info like you get with the chip. You can get the charts preloaded inland maps on the 530 and coastal maps on the 540 series but to get the 3-D feature you need the G2 chip. The GPS/chartplotter is OK but the sounder is pretty rudimentary IMHO. The Garmin is not as good as the Furuno I installed in my prior boat but in fairness, the Furuno was a more costly unit. You can tell Garmin's focus is on mapping when you go to their website and try to compare between the marine units. They have info on whether you get turn by turn voice prompts, but nothing on the fishfinder capabilities!

Just be leary of the bypass route headin back down to the Yukon if yer running a prop, you dont wanna drag ass on step with a few moose in the boat. I recommend ridin the Koyukuk all the way down along the Koyu. Mts, then hookin east on the Yukon.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed