Thread: Banded birds

Default Banded birds

Just curious out of all the ducks/geese you bag each year, how many bands do you get? Myself have downed more banded birds in the lower 48 than up here.

I have only seen two banded geese here and they were feeding on the side of the Glenn this spring. I have yet to collect a band in AK myself.

Did you see those geese right before you get to the old glenn hwy turn off? I saw one banded goose there. I have shot more bands in the lower 48 as well.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Default Bands

Bands...What are those? lol Never got 1~ Maybe this year!

I have two to my name in AK one a neck collared speck and an orange leg band on a canadian two years ago. The chances of getting bands in ak seems pretty bleek compared to the lower 48 because they have way more resources doing studies ( ie banding birds) south of ak.

Post Unselfish or bad luck?

I passed on a Goldeneye one year here in the interior to allow my hunting partner a shot at it and of course it was banded. Same thing happened to me down in northern California except this time it was a buddy I introduced to waterfowling and it was his first hunt. He bagged a nice banded greenhead. I have yet to harvest a banded duck for myself, though I have taken a banded dove. I usually get a few laughs from this, but it's a band none-the-less. Enjoy the pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Talking My pride and joy......

The funny thing about it is, I didn't notice the dove was banded until I sat down for some coffee. Then I thought I had just offed someones carrier dove. Until then I had never heard of banding dove. So I of course googled it when I returned to the house and sure enough it was legit. Enjoy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

We got a few of those bands off of some glodeneye last year too. I herd some guy off of chena hot springs road bands those. I gave my buddy alot of crap for shooting ducks with "fake bands". I only have one band off of a goose I took down in washington when I was stationed there bout 5 years ago. It was banded up in chevak by some USGS doctor out of anchorage. The only USGS bands I have seen up here (interior) were some geese running around base last year, saw a few banded ones and one of them was double banded. I thought about low crawling over and cutting its legs off. Well good luck hunting those elusive bands of alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by WingShooter View Post
    I passed on a Goldeneye one year here in the interior to allow my hunting partner a shot at it and of course it was banded. Same thing happened to me down in northern California except this time it was a buddy I introduced to waterfowling and it was his first hunt. He bagged a nice banded greenhead. I have yet to harvest a banded duck for myself, though I have taken a banded dove. I usually get a few laughs from this, but it's a band none-the-less. Enjoy the pics.

Default Radio Transmitter

Took a sandhill a couple years back with a yellow tracking transmitter on it. Was able to go onto F&G's web site and see where it had been up and down the coast to the lower 48. Other than that, no bands. Incidentally, grew up in the upper midwest, bands and collars were a dime a dozen during winter goose hunts, local birds there were covered with the Bling.

Default banded sandhill 2 years ago

i was hunting near fairbanks and lucked in to a banded crane. i sent off the number to get the background banding info/certificate and found it was banded that summer in fairbanks. so no great migration excitement, but still cool.

Im only 16 and Ive never got a banded bird yet, I hunt on the aleutian chain, in cold bay but I know its not impossible since ive seen plenty of hunters come in with banded birds.

I shot one of those banded goldeneyes also last year....Did some research on it and it was banded the same year but it was banded on the slope....pretty unique bands that I never seen before...none the less still a banded bird

Default A few

All my waterfowl hunting has been in Oregon thus far, as I just moved here. But, I've taken a bull sprig that was banded here in AK. Took a banded mallard drake that was banded in Washington. The best though, was a DOUBLE banded cackling Canada goose, 1 leg had the standard band, the other a $100 reward band.

Haven't shot a banded bird here yet in 15 years...I've seen banded geese at Creamer's Field, but not hunting. One of the waterfowl mags (I get them all, so I forget which one) has a map of band info that readers send in....almost every issue there's birds banded in Alaska. Most are taken in the Mississipi Flyway (some Pacific).
    I grew up in Northern Ohio on Lake Erie (where Zink Calls is now)...we had quite a few banded ducks...plus they were grain fed. Man do I miss the taste of grain fed roasted duck!!(whole/plucked...not just breasts)

here is a banded golden eye i shot up in fairbanks area it was 1 0f 2 i shot last year the other was a buffy
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

Ive been duck hunting up here for going on 25 years and only shot one banded golen eye on Swan Lake

I shot a greenhead down near Juneau a couple of years ago that had a band on it. The bird had been banded in the Spring of 2005 in Ontario, Canada.
    Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life

i got my first band last year i shot a huge greenhead that had one
    havent called it in yet thoe haha

Default Not many here

First one last year was a banded mallard from Alberta. When I reported it online they didn't believe me due to "unusual migration pattern" - whatever. That was the first in 8 years of hunting in Alaska out of 200+ birds.