Thread: Kenai Flooding

Default Kenai Flooding

On top of already high water, the Skilak Glacier is starting to release. There is a new flood warning issued this evening. Peak flood predicted on Wednesday.

http://pafg.arh.noaa.gov/zonefcst.php?zone=AKZ121

Kenai Keys and Big Eddy areas need to prepare for high water.

I was below skilak lake today. lots of bank erosion due to the high water, it seems it will only get worse. Hmmmm....nature just being nature.

I do hope that those that have houses on low ground will make it through. It looked like a lot of houses at the Kenai Keys were going to get wet with another foot of water or so.

I also heard that the Big Eddy area was already seeing some minor flooding. The news about Skilak glacier is not good for all.

Rivers been on a steep and steady climb since the wee hours of Wed am.

Most of the mud had been coming from Killey, and that was already subsiding. Good news for the folks below the Killey mouth.

But now this!

Ho boy! Suspect that's gonna put a lot of sediment into the lake, and in turn wipe out the entire open fishing zone.

I'd say you can kiss the rest of the season goodbye once the mud starts spewing from the Skilak outlet.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

anybody know what the russian looks like?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Report from the middle river below Skilak...

Viz not bad, perhaps the best it's looked in the past 5 days.... but the VOLUME is incredible. Lots of debris including plenty of WHOLE trees. High banks are being thoroughly scoured. Fell bad for low-lying riverside homeowners as we have another 3 days of rising water in the forecast.

Report from down low...

Water is lapping up to the big Riverbend sign at RM 13.5

Flow is at 20,000 CFS now.... swollen to about a half a river more volume than average for this time of year.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Yes, the water does look a little better. I wouldn't say, the best in the past 5 days. Lots of junk coming down the river. There are a lot of weeds coming down from the lake making it difficult to fish effectively. Not to mention the whole trees, stumps, logs and other stuff.
    I think the high water in the Kenai is holding back some mud from the Killey system.

This high water event will do much more damage (already has done) than boat wakes. I have already seen it in the section below skilak. I have seen more damage in the past 5 days than the past 10+ years.

Looking at the reports, i would head north to find silvers and pinks.

I just talked to the Kenai River Center and they predict the river will rise another foot and a half from today's level. The peak is estimated to hit Wednesday. I'm in the Soldotna area and it looks like i'll be pulling up my dock...
    English is an odd language. It can understood through tough thorough thought, though.

Default Stay home, or go North.....

Fished the Upper River this last weekend, and even it was bad. Unless you like flipping an ounce and a half of weight, with your back against the trees, and holding on for dear life when you hook a fish, don't waste your time. Let the water recede a little. If you haven't been down there the last week or so, all normal bank fishing spots are under water. The Russian River, by the falls is probably your best bet, if you're heading that way. The water levels in the Russian appear to be normal.