Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: where is a good place for a self survival trip?

Default where is a good place for a self survival trip?

I've lived in Alaska all my life but have never really gone out on a survival trip. I need to find a place where I can take a twenty two and 410 and preferably close to a lake so i can fish and hunt for food. can someone please tell me if u know a place.

Have Brooks Range Aviation in Bettles drop you off at Circle Lake which is beside the Arrigetch Peaks in the Gates of the Arctic. If you are going to practice survival, do it in a pretty place
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

do you have your own bus or are you going to borrow one?

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Funniest post I have read in .... ever
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

well im not sure what he means by bus but i can only go about an hour and a half from anchorage its kinda crappy. but i wasn't trying to be funny ok 2 hours

Quote Originally Posted by alaskakid View Post
    I've lived in Alaska all my life but have never really gone out on a survival trip. I need to find a place where I can take a twenty two and 410 and preferably close to a lake so i can fish and hunt for food. can someone please tell me if u know a place.

Where in Alaska are you?

What (if any) experience do you have in the wilderness?

How long do you intend this trip to be?

Fill in a few blanks, and perhaps some of us can be of help.

It is better to try and encourage/assist the kids of today rather than mock them, especially those who show an interest in carrying out our legacy of enjoying the Wild Places.

i have plenty of wilderness expeirnce (yeah sorry i cant spell to great and as for the amount of time up to 2 weeks

well im not sure what he means by bus
    He was trying to have some fun at your expense.

but i can only go about an hour and a half from anchorage its kinda crappy. but i wasn't trying to be funny ok 2 hours
    Hunting season is just around the corner, I am sure some here would be happy to have you tag along with them on a hunt (Be it for small or big game) and show you some of the basics before you strike off on your own.

Let us know a bit more about yourself, and your background. It might make some of the answers you seek a bit more apparent.

oh and i dont really have the money for a plane drop and im in anchorage

i know how to hunt I've been doing it for a while i have all my tags and license i just don't know what would be a good place to go to

You may want to look into hiking into either Crescent or Carter Lakes down on the Kenai Peninsula. Check the regs for seasons on small game, but with the grayling in those lakes, coupled with a healthy game bird population, as well as good berry picking in close proximity, you might be able to get a feel for what you want. As a plus you won't be too far off the road system, and it is only 90 minutes South of Anchorage.

i think i know where you are talking about

Carter Lake trailhead is just before the Trail Lake Fish Hatchery outside Moose Pass. You can go into Crescent from that trail as well, or take a different trail for that lake from Cooper Landing.

Good Luck!

Default Harmless joke...

Watch "Into the Wild" if you have not recently done so. The main character stays in a bus living on rice and poisonous plants That is what fueled the joke earlier and I am sure it was meant as a harmless joke. That is how I took it anyway. Truth is, lots of folks go running off into the woods to get in touch with their inner self. Some are ill prepared and get movies/books made about it afterwards. Like I said, a harmless joke. I think most all of us can appreciate what you are trying to do. Go for it man. Just do it responsibly, as I am sure you will. The fact that you are reaching out here for info is a good sign. Prepare well and have a great trip.

well i wasn't offended just kind of annoyed but that sounds like a good movie

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Watch "Into the Wild" if you have not recently done so. The main character stays in a bus living on rice and poisonous plants That is what fueled the joke earlier and I am sure it was meant as a harmless joke. That is how I took it anyway. Truth is, lots of folks go running off into the woods to get in touch with their inner self. Some are ill prepared and get movies/books made about it afterwards. Like I said, a harmless joke. I think most all of us can appreciate what you are trying to do. Go for it man. Just do it responsibly, as I am sure you will. The fact that you are reaching out here for info is a good sign. Prepare well and have a great trip.

DAN... you realllllllllllly need to spend more time in AK to FULLY appreciate your statement...

do you even have a clue as to how many freaks in the 18-24 year old range have seen that movie and want to try? OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! dude at least 2 times a month i meet one of those Ill prepared wacks of nature....

the dingbats that purchased the RIGHTS to the IDIOTS diary... have done a GREAT J. O. B. creating an immortal image of a stupid person......
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

yeah i don't like when people think they know what they are talking about

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

well im not sure what he means by bus but i can only go about an hour and a half from anchorage its kinda crappy. but i wasn't trying to be funny ok 2 hours

seen an empty pull out in Turnagan that will fit your bill...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

i think im gonna go to carter lake it fits perfect

i mean its got a good hike in and i can hunt and fish plus there are like four other lakes right next to it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast