Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: therma rest which pad?

Default therma rest which pad?

I am sure that this has been dealt with before in another thread and I apologize for being redundant, but I would like to have some feedback from fellow sheep/goat hunters regarding TR pads. I have an older TR pad (inflatable) but I would like to get a lighter version. Mine weighs 2.4 pounds. Any thoughts on the Prolite or the Prolite Plus? The latter is a half inch thicker and weighs 1 #. Any suggestions from those that have experience with either of these pads? I could go really light and use a non-inflatable but as I get older I appreciate sleeping through the night and not getting up in the morning with sore/numb hips. Thanks.

Smile

i use the small ridge rest thermalite, its awsome retention to weight and comfy for the hole 9 oz it weighs. I'm 23 so i might still be in my comfort is last as long as there's sheep. I'm just afraid the air rest will pop on me and i have to be carefull instead of straping it to my pack and laying down where ever.

Default Big Agnes

I'd skip the Therm-a-Rest and go with a Big Agnes Insulated Air Core Pad.

Big Agnes
    20"x70"x2.5" Rectangle 24oz R-value 4.1 Stuff size 5"x9" $79
    20"x70"x2.5" Mummy 21oz R-value 4.1 Stuff size 5"x9" $79

TR Prolite Plus
    20"x72"x1.5" 24oz R-value 3.8 Stuff size 5"x11" $99

So compared to the TR Prolite Plus, you get a thicker pad at equal or less weight with a touch better R-value and slightly smaller pack size for less money.

If you go with the TR Prolite, you can save 5-7 oz but now you're down to a 1" pad which doesn't do much for those sore hips and back.

The Big Agnes is an easy choice over the Prolite Plus but that 5-7 oz. can be a definate selling point for the regular Prolite on a sheep hunt.

Consider a lightweight model, maybe the 1" to 1.5" thick type. And get a lightweight closed cell foam, like the Thermarest Z-lite. Put the foam on the ground, air pad on top. This is comfortable, but also gives you a back up for cold weather since the closed cell foam will never fail. Good set up for many applications. This set up also reduces damaging the air pad from the sand/gravel/etc.. on the ground. A common culprit that leads to pin holes in air pads and the inevitable slow leaks that are associated with them.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Neoair!

I just bought a NeoAir and on my scales it only weighs 8 oz. I used to have a much larger and heavier Thermarest and the NeoAir is a fraction of the weight and probably a tad bit more comfy! NeoAir has air cells running perpendicular rather than parallel to your body. It seems to stick really well to my sleeping bag and I don't seem to slide off it like my old therma-rest. I bought the medium and it is perfect for my 6' skinny frame. My only complaint is that it is a little narrow but I like the 8 oz weight. Obviously at only 8 oz you want to be super careful not to puncture it but it ought to stand up pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by jimss View Post
    I just bought a NeoAir and on my scales it only weighs 8 oz. I used to have a much larger and heavier Thermarest and the NeoAir is a fraction of the weight and probably a tad bit more comfy! NeoAir has air cells running perpendicular rather than parallel to your body. It seems to stick really well to my sleeping bag and I don't seem to slide off it like my old therma-rest. I bought the medium and it is perfect for my 6' skinny frame. My only complaint is that it is a little narrow but I like the 8 oz weight. Obviously at only 8 oz you want to be super careful not to puncture it but it ought to stand up pretty well.

Now I'm going to have to pull one out of its box tomorrow at Barney's and weigh it! They say 14oz, but if it's 8oz all the better! Even at 14oz it's still a significant weight savings. I would also caution of being too rough with them. They are a little thin, but the are extremely light, have a good R value, and pack down very small. As stated they are very comfortable and don't slide as much as the other TRs.

Brett

Closed cell foam by "thermarest" at $19.00, like some above mentioned only 9 oz. You don't need the full length you just need padding under your torso and butt.

I spent last year using a Thermarest, I find it just doesn't cut the cold out of the ground for me, but that's just me. I'm goin Wiggy's or Big Agnes

I have 2 for sale, FYI , large and Regular.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default Mistake!

Hey Brett, Thanks for catching my mistake. I just put my NeoAir back on my scale and it was 12.5 oz which is very close to 0.8 lbs...looked at my gear list wrong!

Default Prolite 4 women's pink pad

I think it weighs about 13 oz but it is extremely warm. I really don't care what color it is as I don't hunt with a partner anyways. I have the BA aircore and while that is better than many of the other thermarest products the pink pad is better. I would worry that I would pop the Neo-Air so I haven't looked at that.

Sincerely,

Thoams

Quote Originally Posted by jimss View Post
    Hey Brett, Thanks for catching my mistake. I just put my NeoAir back on my scale and it was 12.5 oz which is very close to 0.8 lbs...looked at my gear list wrong!
    Hopefully you aren't using that scale for reloading!!!!

Brett

I first purchased to Therma-rest prolite 4s for my wife and myself. After a couple trips and hearing rave reviews about the Big Agnes pads and being as we are both side sleepers I sold my prolite 4s and bought Big Agnes Insulator Air Core pads. Also as we zip our bags together we bought the pad coupler so we don't get the gap inbetween the pads. The system works great for us. We have over 60+ nights on the pads and they are holding up great. Glad I sold the prolite 4, the comfort of a quality nights sleep is worth the 1/2pound of extra weight. But to each their own.

Do you prefer the BA mummy or regular? Is the weight savings of three ounces worth not having the extra pad/protection? Does your bag slide off easily? That's one of my big complaints with my Therma Rest. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5-284 View Post
    Do you prefer the BA mummy or regular? Is the weight savings of three ounces worth not having the extra pad/protection? Does your bag slide off easily? That's one of my big complaints with my Therma Rest. Thanks.
    Being as my wife and I planned from the start to get the coupler so we can couple our pads together we opted for the regular over the mummy cause the would couple better together side by side than the mummy version. When using my BA pad alone when my wife is not along on a hunting trip I have not problem staying on the pad. Way better than I did on the prolite 4.

The NeoAir looks like a cool idea and about 3/4 of a pound lighter but I can also buy two BA pads for the price of one of those. Also the BA pad is already a full pound lighter than your current pad. Being as my wife usually gets one for herself of ever piece of gear I buy price is always a consideration when I have to buy two. I bought my dad a regtangular reg. BA pad and he was on the side of the tent last year that had a good size rock sticking into the tent floor and didn't even realize it was there until 2 days later when we were packing up the tent to head out.

I have a mummy version and I like it, it saves some weight. The downfall is that I will soon be buying the rectangular versions and the coupler pad for the same reason Alaska_Lanche mentions.

They are a bit slippery, take some shoe goo or similar and put some dabs on the pad to add some traction. The neo-air has some sort of silicone treatment to alleviate the slipping.

I've got the BA Insulated AirCore mummy and I seem to slide off. But I flip and flop anyway. My fix was to buy an ultralite "bivy", not so much a bivy as a sleeping bag cover. It weighs a couple ozs I think. The BA pad, my CatsMeow and I all fit in it and it helps keep us all together on those not so flat tent sites. Next step may be a sub 2lb Big Agnes down bag. I just need to be willing to cough up 300 bucks for 1.5 lbs and convince myself that down would be ok. Haven't got there yet...

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5-284 View Post

BA Air Core mummy short (i'm 5'7"). takes a little longer to blow up, more comfortable if you're a side sleeper like me, and weighs 18 or 19 oz i think.

have had all sorts of thermarests in the past, including the prolite 3 and 4. as a side sleeper, i wasn't comfortable. foam pads are even worse for me.

i believe in lightweight backpacking, but when going out for 10 days, i would rather carry a few extra ounces for a sleeping pad and get a better nights rest. getting broken sleep b/c of an uncomfortable pad can make your days seem pretty long.

i haven't tried the neoair.

Default Stop slipping...

I have read a few folks mention "slipping off" the pad. Consider putting the air pad inside the sleeping bag, rather than under it. I have been doing this for a few years and sleep much better because of it. If cold weather camping I use the closed cell and an air pad. This increases the R-value, but also you never go without a pad in the event the air pad fails and can't be repaired. The closed cell I put under the bag, the air pad goes inside the bag. Perfect system for my intended usage. Food for thought at any rate.

Below is some good general info on picking out a sleeping pad....

http://www.consumersearch.com/sleeping-pads/review

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I have both the rectangle and the mummy. The mummy is 3 oz lighter and seams to pack just a touch smaller. I like the rectangle one a little better just because it give you a bit more pad under yourself when you're rolling around. I like the wider foot area to keep my sleeping bag off the tent floor just to keep it away from any dirt and moisture that has accumulated. My wife is quite a bit smaller and uses the mummy pad.

You guys that are sliding off pads ought to try the Neo-Air. I have yet to slide off and boy is it every comfortable and light weight. The only downside I can see is that the material is fairly thin.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast