Thread: salmon and halibut tacos

Default salmon and halibut tacos

I'm looking for a good recipe for salmon and halibut tacos. I work on a trail crew and want to treat my guys to a great back country meal. Would any of you be willing to share how you've made this dish before. I will be feeding 8 people and will only have basic pots and pans and 2, 2 burner Coleman stoves on propane.

@ Seminary, Dubuque Ia

I 'm pretty lazy. I deep fry the fish and use leuttuce tomato (& whatever is handy) then add some tartar sauce and call it good.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

North Pole, AK

My wifes recipe for halibut tacos is tasty and simple. She uses an electric skillet but a frying pan would work just fine. I assume you are going to be making this in the field so you will probably have to modify some parts to fit your needs. Below is what my wife makes for 4 people so depending on how many you are feeding just add a little more and nothing is really measured out, it's mostly to taste. First the ingrediants:

For the Halibut:
    2-3 lbs Halibut cut into 3-4 inch chunks
    Extra Virgin Olive Oil or vege oil if you happen to have it on hand
    Lemon Pepper
    Garlic Salt
    Black Pepper
    2-3 Lemons or small bottle lemon juice

Season halibut chunks liberally, once they break up the flavor from the seasoning will spread through rest of the halibut while cooking. Fry halibut chunks until they begin to fall apart then break them up with in the pan. Once the chunks fall apart squeeze the juice of 1 lemon over fish and cook it for a couple more minutes stirring often. Remove from heat and your ready to make some badass halibut tacos. I like to sprinkle a little more lemon juice on my tacos once it is built.

shredded cabbage or lettuce if you prefer
    roma tomatoes
    flour tortillas
    fresh cilantro

Spicy Chipotle Sauce (not field expedient):
    2 tbls Mayo
    1/2 cup Plain non-fat yogurt
    1 can Chipotle Peppers in adobo sauce (I didn't use a whole can, they're pretty strong)
    a little Garlic salt to taste (optional)
    a squirt of lemon juice (optional)

Mix all ingrediants in a blender until peppers are only tiny bits.

Field expedient sauce:
    Green Tobasco to taste

Hope you enjoy this recipe, I know we do.