Thread: CHENA RIVER.. Nordale road to town?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default CHENA RIVER.. Nordale road to town?

Okay we are ready for our first Float in the Pro Pioneer we picked up last week... and have a few options with in minutes of the house...

one is put in Nordale road... how long ( time wise) to town..???

or up on Chena Hot springs road to Nordale... etc...

i have never floated through ft wainwright... so am unsure the distance....

we are 3 min from Nordale, and our office is on the steece by the bridge... so it make sense to keep it easy... it will be my daughter and I for the first round... to get me used to it....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I'm not for sure the distance. But, I can tell you chena lakes to nordale is quite some distance. I have been althrough that river lots of times on the riverboat and know that it's quite the trip.

Go to google earth and use the distance measurer on the path mode. It is quite accurate.

I was on nordale up to chena lakes on thursday and chena lakes throught the dam on Friday and it is very shallow. Fun though.

good luck.
    Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

THanks COtoAK..

8 hours is the answer i was looking for... good thng we did not hop on that one... mama woulda been P.O.ed after the first 3 hours... of it is almost there....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Float Times

Vince

One thing you have to keep in mind that float times depending on the type of watercraft used will vary greatly so my 6 hours in a round boat with sticks might be your 4 hours in a canoe with sticks.

Figure the Chena flows at 3 MPH slow sections i.e. around Nordale through Town 8 miles of road might equal 15 miles of river so just floating will take 5-6 hours in a raft however sticking a canoe average speed could be 6 MPH i.e. your working it and the float of course will only take 2-3 hours.

CHSR (Rose Hip) to Nordal is a 2-3 day float on average. Be aware the river cut a new channel several years back and it is tight and has a fair amount of Logs in it. Being that the water is extremely low it should be fun but be aware of the hazards.

Mile 45 bridge i.e. North Fork to 38 Mile is a good 4-6 hours float on average with a little playing / fishing lots of new logs hanging out from even this past June till now.

Chena Dam to Nordale is a full 13 hours in a raft 6-8 in a canoe depending on the Wind and paddling with low water.

Don't know if the info helps hope it does.

I floated a section yesterday in a traveler which does not catch as much wind as your Pro P and the Wind still played with the boat enough to make for extra work so adjust your float times based on the water and wind conditions base don your average float times and you should meet your float time goals.

Best Wishes

Blue Moose

This is my first post here.

Give yourself the better part of the day to foat Nordale to town. Slow water and a few twists and turns. Have not floated that streach but from the bridge to my home near the Badger Slough mouth it is pretty slow going. A W.A.G is that you will need about four hours to town.

From the bridge at 43 Mile CHSR it is a 48 hour float (river hours mind you, pack a BIG lunch and overnight gear for several days)

Have fun

Scotty

thanks blue and fingers! i am already planning to hit that one for the day, when my older two get home from summer...

sounds like a good day and maybe some pike.... i think i remember where are few live from my girl scout days..... (oh nobody knew?)

not sure about the 43 mile trip though... i am already burning the candle at both ends and hunting season is nearly upon us... so i will have to light it in the center... to get through it all... but... winter is coming again... i can rest then...

meet on face book here

I just floated from Chena Lakes to Nordale and it took us 9 hours. We also stopped and had lunch in those 9 hours.