Thread: Sako P75, .22 Hornet

Default Sako P75, .22 Hornet

Hi,

I'm new to your site and I am hoping to find out more about the gun I just bought. No one over here really knows much about this model, but I'm hoping that maybe someone there does. It is a Sako P75 .22 Hornet and If there are members who could give me advice on this rifle I would be very grateful.

Best regards,

RSF

RSF,

Welcome to the forum.

I am a self confessed Sako guru, having owned several of them since 1972.

In 1974 Sako made a series of guns on the model designation of what was simply known as the P74. These were normal high quality Sako guns except they had low grade stocks and rather dull blue finnish. These were made in standard caliber on appropriate length actions, the L461, L57 and L61. I have owned several of them one of note was a 220 Swift. The action was an L57, the box was stamped P74. These were made for many years and the action designation for this 308 length gun changed to L579 on the P series guns. They also made a P75 in 22 Hornet only, on the short L461 action with plain grain stock and other features of the time. It is quite different from the L461 action because the Hornet round requires significant changes to feed the little rimmed case.

Sako's first commercial rifle/cartridge combo was the L42 (1942) and in the Sako invented caliber of 7x33. It was based on the base size of the 9x19 but lenghened to the limit of the machinery (for brass) then necked to 7mm. It looked like a sub-gun round similar the 5.7x28 of FN fame, but was a little more tame. It was used to hunt grouse size birds taken on the limb or ground. The next caliber they offered in the L46 (1946) was the 22 Hornet so Sako was always fond of that little round.

You have a very rare rifle. I'm sure it is also very accurate and fun to shoot. I once owned a 218 bee in the L46 rifle with aperature sight and the square, flat bolt cocking piece with the safety mounted. It was loads of fun but is gone now. Your gun is a lot newer but still hand made with a great barrel. Enjoy.
    Last edited by Murphy; 08-12-2009 at 17:02.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Having great luck with Lilgun powder with CCI 500 SPP as Speers manual lists. Ben using 40gr bullets sierra and bergers, 2900-3000fps easy 200fps more than any other powder. But use that primer the 205 SRP went way over listed velocties and I bet pressures as well in my gun.

Thank you for the information on the P75. As you well know any information on older Sako's is hard to come by. I have a Sako .22lr Finnfire Hunter which is joy to shoot. Would you know of anywhere to track down a P75 magazine? My rifle has one, but just in case....

Many thanks

RSF

Default P75

Hi Murphy,

I have checked the gun and it does have the safety mounted on the right back of the action, the cocking handle is flat, and although the bluing is intact,it is not very deep in colour. The wood has plain/to good grain, and is quite dark, possibly a later reconditioning ? There are set screws in place for the front and rear sights, but unfortunately no sights came with the gun .It shoots well and will be my short range fox gun in the future. Would you have any other information on this model that might be of interest ? In particular what size mounts would fit it best as the ones that came with it are not too great a fit. I have tried to find any information on the web but it is very difficult to come by. So anything you might be able to add would be very appreciated.

All the best,

RSF

Default P75

Hi just back from a trip, I was wondering if the sako guru had any more information on the P75 .22 Hornet. I'm asking alot but any information on this great gun would be very appreciated.

Rsf