Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New New Tundra

Question New New Tundra

What the heck Why does it appear that there is a NEW new tundra for 2010???? I had pretty much decided to get one and now it looks weird....again... Like some retro mod somthin or other

Now I don't know again, I was never a fan of pogo suspension

Lujon

Your not the only one disappointed with the New new Tundra. I guess there are folks outside who like it (based on reviews I've read) but I agree with you on the pogo sticks. Even my 88 is sans the sticks!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Hmm the guys out here are loving the new design. The old design...like you guys like well..if you hit a tundra tuff or bump it tends to bend the frame. The guys here had to put channel iron on the frame to try to make it stong enough to hold up. We are talking hit at less the 10 mph. The dealer here even advised about this problem. I for one am glad they went back. I will be buying an"new turdra" this yr. I also now ride a 98 tundra. Had they not gone back to this I would have tried to buy and old trapper modle. I have no clue for those of you that ride a few miles a yr but for the ones who ride 2 to 3 thousand miles a yr on a trapline this is a god send. Just my humble opinion

I rode mine through some of the toughest terrain in south central at speeds well over 10 mph without a single problem, if the above was true I would have wrecked it the first day out! I got the machine for valentines day and put over 600 miles on it before ridding conditions forced me to store it for the year, I ride everyday when there is enough snow and I do not baby my equipment, 90% of my ridding is off trail and if next year ends up the same as last I'll be well over your 2000 miles a season. The 09 tundra has taken anything I wanted it to do and only asked for more!
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Good Luck to you. I am the one selling the steel to these guys to make the repairs. I know what I have seen. I wish I had taken pics for you. Perhaps I still can get them from maybe 15 to 20 machines. Like I said in my opinion. I love them going back. If you like the new style then buy another model. Skidoo just changed the tundra is all. It is interesting that even the dealers here in the interior were warning about the front end. You have way different conditions there than here.

What is it about the pogo sticks that y'all don't like?
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Hotcity
    What different conditions would that be? Horse pasture pass is a high country tundra full of tussocks. Hatchers isn't called smashers pass for no reason it's full of boulders the size of a VW. The whole area is full of alder chocked swamps that require a ton of winding and weaving to get through. River running is just as common here as anywhere else in the state and frequently done at temps well bellow zero. Really I've been to Nome and frankly your terrain is no tougher than the Denali hwy, Hatchers or the back country around Eureka. What you have said about the tundra may be true of the first ones in the new line but I am no lier and I am telling you flat out if the 09's where that fragile mine would be scrap!

Moose head
    Admittedly I don't have much experience with the pogo's but the ones I have ridden where badly out of balance and didn't handle as well. Also when I apply my basic engineering skills to the question I see way too much stress on too small a point. Also if one of my front shocks went on the trail I could limp home without digging a deep trench in the snow with half the front end of my machine, l yes I have seen that happen. On the other hand many say the pogo's handle deep powder better, not in my limited experience but that's what the literature has to say.
    BHA Member

OUCH, the 1+1 seat accessory adds another $600 to the Tundra price to boot!

I have a older tundra with the pogo type front end. My friend has a new one with the exposed front end. We are both trappers and are hard on our machines. He has broke one of the front a[arms like described above and plastic on the hood. He said he would not get another machine like it again. I'm glad that they went back to the pogo. I'm sure that the new ones have 100 better ride them the old ones. The tundra is a great machine. I just wish that they where making the 300 and not just the 500.

Default New Tundra

I have a New Tundra LT Spring Checked down at compeaus so I guess that says how I feel about the pogo front end. For my style of riding the pogo works better for me. It gets hung up on brush a less and the way the belly pan and pogos work together it floats on Fairbanks powder very well. I have an 89 Tundra now and I cant say enough about that little machine. But there has been times that a little more power would have been useful. So Im looking forward to the 550's power and not its gas milage.

From what I have heard most of the people I have talked to are pleased that they are offering a pogo again. I also think the ride will be much inporoved over the old pogos. And the articulaing track makes me drool.

Here is some good info.

http://www.dootalk.com/forums/index....owtopic=292770

I just wish it would hurry up and snow!

Rick P.
    I ride alot of deep snow..no boulder to worry about here, Hoever up high you do have holes that you can fall into. I will not try to change your mind. However I will stick with the pogo type front end. Back in the 70's when I broke a front end I used tie wire to wire up the right side of my machine to get back. That was in the Copper River area which is pretty rough also. Yes, it was rigged but it worked. I will end this now..you like your and I like mine. I wish you all the best in your rides.

more importantly....they could have offered a smaller motor. Regardless of both suspensions.....aint nothing from the factory is ever perfect and bullet proof. You will always have to make modifacations to further strengthen according to what you put your machine through. there is no darned need of a 550 fan being the smallest motor in their smallest work sled. what the heck are they thinking? a 440 would have been a good base motor.....with mods to the carbs to tote "as good fuel consumption as our older 250 cc tundra" have these jokers considered how expensive fuel in the more remote areas can be? What about a guy who depends on getting every mile out of a gallon of gas that he can to put food on his table? there is no need of a 550 fan as the base motor. I dont care who says what.......it's just bull crap. they need to offer a smaller motor for those who depend on low fuel consumption and outrageous remote community fuel prices. give me the older tundra any day of the week. what the heck is a tundra anymore? the day the tundra has a 340 or 440 .....I'll be there to buy one......until then I'm fine with a used one because it's closer to what a tundra should be.

Not meaning to give the manufactures any excuses, but you gotta remember they design them for the weekenders in Wisconsin and Quebec that have gas stations and Mcdonald's along their "super trails".

Not too long ago I saw an article in one of the mags stating that the Superwide was a useless sled and no one buys them anymore. Here is what I say to that.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The Tundra II was probably my ideal utility sled. I wish they still made that one. The pogo front suspension worked great on that model. I wouldn't want pogos on a go-fast bump sled but that isn't a Tundra's niche. For strength and durability the pogo front makes perfect sense. The biggest advantage is how little drag that suspension offers, which is why the old Tundra II would go anywhere. Less drag in deep snow, in the trees, and when busting brush. That advantage was demonstrated for years with Yamaha's Phazer and the later model Vikings. If you have a problem with pogo suspension perhaps the Tundra just isn't your ideal sled. There are plenty of A arm models to choose from. And hey, A arms introduced us all to the concept of bent nuns.

Hey, look at the pogo sticks on the Super Wides!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    The Tundra II was probably my ideal utility sled. I wish they still made that one. The pogo front suspension worked great on that model. I wouldn't want pogos on a go-fast bump sled but that isn't a Tundra's niche. For strength and durability the pogo front makes perfect sense. The biggest advantage is how little drag that suspension offers, which is why the old Tundra II would go anywhere. Less drag in deep snow, in the trees, and when busting brush. That advantage was demonstrated for years with Yamaha's Phazer and the later model Vikings. If you have a problem with pogo suspension perhaps the Tundra just isn't your ideal sled. There are plenty of A arm models to choose from. And hey, A arms introduced us all to the concept of bent nuns.

Hey, look at the pogo sticks on the Super Wides!
    While I agree w/ you I still miss the a-arm tundra. Sure I can see the new one being great on many levels BUT the other 09 was such a great crossover sled!!! It would do the work and still let you play. It was lighter than the touring sleds but still had a 1+1 seat. Good cargo area etc. I do LIKE the new tundra. I think it is a valuable sled for what it does. It is definately a WORK sled. The problem is now there is no crossover utility sled! They already had the entire rest of the skandic line that were dedicated work sleds.

What about the Expedition? I haven't looked at next year's but that's been a great all-round sled for the past few years. Trailing arm and then A arm. Both are good units.

There is a ton of the tundra's for sale with the "A" arm front. Most do not like them. Tundra's are more a work sled or a trappers sled so if you are not in that catorgory you will not like them. If you visit the trappers forums you will see that we all are happy to see the return of the POGO, Until now I would not buy the "New Tundra" If you would like a tundra with the "A" arms I know of a few for sale. Most of what I see on here are stock machines. Hmm how bout mods for the trapline. For the "A" machines... how bout a higher windshield? storage under the seat? A block to be able to put your gloves on the hood to dry out? these are just a few of the thing I do to my machine. I can go on with alot more but will quit for now...

My wife has a 550F in her summit and we have been very happy with it. Fuel use isn't bad. Plenty of power for her,very dependable and pretty light. I know it is not a work horse like the tundra but what would you gain from going to a smaller motor? Less power, but I would think you can't shave off much more wieght. Were building a cabin out on the Yentna and I want a Skandic SWT, would like to have the 550F so I didn't have to worry about the liquid cooling.

Tundra IIs had a single cylinder 300cc class engine that worked great. Better than great. Clutching was perfect for the little motor. It floated in the snow like nothing before or since. And relative the the 550 fan it sipped fuel while the 550F gulps it.

Did it have enough power to pull a good load and haul?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast