Thread: Kenai Cleanup

Default Kenai Cleanup

How about SCADA sponsoring a cleanup weekend at the mouth after dipnetting closes on Friday? Contact the City and the press and let's put in a good word for all the folks who care about the resource and the opportunity to continue in the future.

~tr

Maybe for Kenai, a voucher of some sort, dollars off entry fee next time, or something like that for every one or more large trash bags brought out. I am sure sooner or later you will have to pay for Kasilof as well, so it could work there too. Could be a ticket for a lottery for something, money, dip net, cooler, 4 wheeler, etc. I know that out in the Mat Valley they mail out one free dump voucher per property owner and people seem to like the idea, We shouldn't expect to be rewarded for doing what it right, but some just don't operate without rewards as too many have the, " What's in it for me attitude?" and these are the same type that leave the trash, unfortunately. If someone local likes the idea, why not see what you can do with the city, borough, or whoever is in charge and let us know how things go and if you need outside support such as an e-mail or Forum petition?

Yes, I am Valley Trash and proud of it.

[QUOTE=uhldwm;539554]Maybe for Kenai, a voucher of some sort, dollars off entry fee next time, or something like that for every one or more large trash bags brought out. I am sure sooner or later you will have to pay for Kasilof as well, so it could work there too. Could be a ticket for a lottery for something, money, dip net, cooler, 4 wheeler, etc. I know that out in the Mat Valley they mail out one free dump voucher per property owner and people seem to like the idea, We shouldn't expect to be rewarded for doing what it right, but some just don't operate without rewards as too many have the, " What's in it for me attitude?" and these are the same type that leave the trash, unfortunately. If someone local likes the idea, why not see what you can do with the city, borough, or whoever is in charge and let us know how things go and if you need outside support such as an e-mail or Forum petition?

Well said. UHLDWM

I bring out my own trash and lots of trash belonging to others, but we live in a narcissistic society and most people want something for their efforts, something tangible. A reward of some kind for a bag full of trash is very effective, I support the idea.
    NRA Lifetime Member

Businesses always enjoy publicity and tax deductions. Get a couple of local Kenai businesses to sponsor a cleanup day. I'd start with calling every tackle shop in town as well as the big guys such as Tesoro, Fred Meyer, Safeway/Carrs, etc. Get them to pay the promotional fees to get the event info and date/time in the paper and on the radios.

The event would be a BBQ at the beach. It's too late this year, but start planning for next year. Start the promotion right before dipnetting season starts and run it throughout. Sneak in some public educational tips during the promotion. Picnic date being the closing weekend (ignore EO extentions, go by the reg book and hold it regardless). Setup in the beach parking lot. Provide trash bags just like spring cleanup. Anyone who participates in cleaning the beach will be treated to lunch.

Get the use of a landing craft or other boat to shuttle volunteers back and forth between north and south beach so you can have a single base of operations. Haul trash back over to a single pickup point. Arrange with Waste Management to pick up the bags of trash at the end of the event.

If you could rustle up enough business support, add in a nice door prize to sweeten the incentive for folks to show up.

All the morons and idiots who are trashing Alaska during dipnetting will NOT be the ones to show up for any clean up event. It wouldn't matter if you were giving away a brand new riverboat with 4-stroke motor. So don't set your incentives too high. Just enough to lure in the lazy folks. Those who care about their backyards will show up for free. We do it every Spring.

Your idea is such that after the Kasilof closes next week, I'll probably make another trip down there myself with some trash bags and do some picking up. I fished it and it's basically "my" backyard, so I have a certain amount of pride in keeping our area looking good (I'd do the same for the Kenai after they close the toll booths). If a couple folks want to come down and help, let's bring the portable BBQ grill, a couple beers, and a fresh slab of Red salmon and we'll get this annual cleanup event started right.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Thumbs up JOAT, You got the idea

Thanks for the suggestions. Very good points. The larger box store's should jump on this since they benefit the most. I will start planning this winter. Thanks again for the suggestions and such!!!!!!!

Default Self Enforcement

Maybe if the sheepeople didn't alow trashing the area this discussion would be necessary!

If you have to organize a clean up for the lazy scum, then they don't belong there in the first place.

I have never personally dipped from the beach but what I have seen left behind in other areas is disgusting.

If you want to maintain your right to use the resource a little self enforcement is in order. If you need the state to clean up or organise a clean up instead of calling out the culprits you will end up loesing what you have.

This topic could be replayed on any thread here from fishing to hunting.

People that don't care and destroy our resources are the main reason for limited access.

If you see them call them out! If you don't then when you lose your rights and access don't complain.

If you have to clean up after them then you have no one to blame but yourself.

Default With all due respect

In my experience, slobby people don't take too kindly to being confronted for anything, especially when there's alcohol involved. You're just asking for trouble by getting in someone's face about being slobs. They don't care. The law is made for people who are lawless.

Our law enforcement personnel are trained to deal with lawless people. That's their job, not the general public's.

~tr

Default Kasilof cleanup Saturday

[QUOTE=JOAT;543760
    Your idea is such that after the Kasilof closes next week, I'll probably make another trip down there myself with some trash bags and do some picking up. I fished it and it's basically "my" backyard, so I have a certain amount of pride in keeping our area looking good (I'd do the same for the Kenai after they close the toll booths). If a couple folks want to come down and help, let's bring the portable BBQ grill, a couple beers, and a fresh slab of Red salmon and we'll get this annual cleanup event started right.[/QUOTE]

I may join you this Saturday. I've invited my brother down for a day trip, so we can also do some cleanup.

~tr

Default clean up day on the kenai

Is anybody still interested in doing a clean up day? My 16 yr old daughter is looking to head up a clean up project. We will help her do a lot of the leg work, just wondering if anyone else is up for lending her a hand. Let me know. You can reach me on here, although I check my email more regularly. chrishanna300@yahoo.com

This whole topic pi$$es me off in a big way and i live in MN. Many Alaskans just dont have a clue what you have up there. I saw a guy dump a whole garbage bag full of garbage. He just tossed the bag aside. I picked it up and followed him to his truck. When i got there they were putting their gear in the back. I busted open the bag and spread it all over the back of his truck. I told him he forgot it. I know thats not smart but then again old Marines were never accused of being smart. Being 6'4 and 300lbs does not hurt either. I just dont get it why people treat what you have up there with so little respect. What a rescource you have with the Reds. My buddy took me down just to watch the circus. I was really upset with what i saw. Put some badges on the river and start handing out 300.00 tickets and the problem will go away. Watching people crap all over what you have up there made me sick. There is NO EXCUSE for some behaviors. It warms my heart to see a 16yr old care so much about what others do not. Its sad to have a kid have to clean up the mess created by adults!

Thumbs up I will be there

just make it known the day and time you want to meet and I can make it for the next 7 days,,,
    thanks for being a good parent of a good kid,,,
    lets support her in good things,,
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default donations

For those of us who don't live close but participated harvesting those beautiful fish where can we offer help, is there somewhere to send donations to help fund the clean up?
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by han300 View Post
    Is anybody still interested in doing a clean up day? My 16 yr old daughter is looking to head up a clean up project. We will help her do a lot of the leg work, just wondering if anyone else is up for lending her a hand. Let me know. You can reach me on here, although I check my email more regularly. chrishanna300@yahoo.com
    Yes. If you organize it and announce it, they will come.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Promo Responsible Users

Another approach:

How about SCADA having some high-visibility jackets with name and logo available for members to wear DURING the season and we do some trash patrol work while we're waiting for the 2 hour before 2 hour after rush?

Money and time what it is I don't think many of us can afford a separate cleanup trip but do want to support the cause.

The Alaska Flyfishers do an annual cleanup by the Russian River Ferry each year. They make a weekend event out of it, and many people come down for the event.