Thread: Nocks

Default Nocks

Which nocks are you using and WHY?

Taylor

-[]------->

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Taylor View Post
    Which nocks are you using and WHY?

Taylor

-[]------->
    the ones that come with the arrow.....

because they come with the arrow....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Ditto

I use what ever comes on the arrow. I haven't put thought to buying a better nock. Especially, due to the fact I am now a Fob Freak like Taylor.

A consistent nock will always leave the string with the same resistance each and every time, each and every nock.

What if that resistance could be ZERO? Now that would be something...

Same fella who turned me on to FOBs turned me on to Accunocks. His reasoning was sound:

Consistency
    Accuracy
    Slight added speed
    Zero resistance when leaving the string

What you've got is a pincer that holds the nock on the string. When fired, the string contacts the forward part of the nock, opening the pincer for release.

Just another tool to improve accuracy, especially at longer ranges.

It's open for debate!

Taylor

-[]------->

Here's the Accunock, and a picture of the pincer itself. They of course come assembled and will not disassemble.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sorry mark but I put these under the "another gizmo for gizmo's sake" category. I have considered the ones that light after being shot though, my eyes are not getting younger and I really prefer to be 100% sure where that arrow landed while hunting bear.

Here are my reasons.
    1) Consistency....Well modern injection molding is very consistent, that's why it is in such wide spread use. Also The accunock is made of 2 injection molded parts, it is much harder to maintain consistency when more than one part is involved.
    2)Accuracy......First I highly doubt this claim second if any improvement is seen it would be incredibly slight and I doubt as much a factor as practice and good form.
    3)Added speed.....ya what a 1/4 inch per second! And if that nock release fails the speed will be cut to nothing.
    4)Zero string resistance.....Again not if those prongs fail to retract due to wear or part failure. Besides if you have taken the time to adjust your nock properly the resistance on the string is minimal.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Talking

Well, if you're carving a notch in a piece of cedar then I wouldn't expect you to appreciate something like this. It's intended for use in carbon arrows.

Raspberries back to ya, Rick P.

Taylor

-[]------->

Actually Mark I shoot high tech carbons namely "Arrow Dynamics" "Hammerheads" for big game and gold tip 5575's for small game and waterfowl.

Wood warps too easily in our weather and require more maintenance than I'm willing to do. Also in experiments I conducted using foam, a whole pork shoulder and a set of buff ribs the "arrow dynamics" penetrated about 40% deeper than either strait shafted carbons or wood using the same broad head. I really like to test stuff!

Raspberries right back at ya Mark

BTW our patch has produced about 3 quarts of raspberries already.
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

The only benefit I see is the enemy can't shoot it back at you if you miss...
    I can accomplished the same result using a uni-nock on a 16 strand dacron string except the nocks are hard to find.

How's the leg Marc?

i still use g nocks with the bushings, adds some weight but not much, I can still turn the nocks if i need to get an arrow to group and replace it instantly if I get a ding or a busted one. But I use them for consistency sake. It's what's on my target arrows and I don't feel like changing my dloop or nock hieight for hunting. standard press fit nocks are fine as long as they are consistent in tension in the arrow it self and releasing the string, and obviously straight.

Default nocks

pin nocks....that way I dont robin hood my arrows and when I am shooting 3-D someone else dosnt mess them up.

Throughout my travels to archery tournaments all over the U.S... The nocks that consistanly win are usually made by Easton...whether it be G-nocks, pin nocks, or the standard super nock. Yes, it doesn't hurt that Easton sponsors a ton of shooters. Beiter and Bohning also make very high quality nocks.

I've looked into that nock you have Marc. I also chalked it up to another gimic. If it makes you feel good, go for it Afterall, archery is 90% mental
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default Pin nocks

I SHOOT PINNOCKS they seem to produce tighter groups but it could be from my new sight I put on the same time I went to pins www.accu-point.com

I shoot accunocks and like them quite a bit. I've ruined 4 good carbon arrows because of my not wanting to shoot spots and instead prefer a nice tight group.

Bohning classics on my "WARPED" cedars LOL! sorry I had to go there....actually wood does just fine Rick, but we'll leave that for another thread sometime

Tradbow

Watch it.......... I'll be an arrow smith too if we aren't careful!

Actually started learning flint knapping
    BHA Member

I tried knapping..hmm, ya not so much! To many glass shards for me...many of them ended up in the palm of my hand. Was neat though. I may take some precuts and try it again on a copper post...if you have the bowyers bibles you'll see what I'm talking about in there. it's basically reverse knapping...

The whole set of TBB has a permanent home next to the bed on the reading table.
    BHA Member