Thread: Dream Floatplane

Default Dream Floatplane

Question for everybody:

$400,000 to spend on a floatplane, what would you buy and why?

I've got a corporate flight department considering a floatplane purchase. Looking for insight and education.

whats the use of it ? thats the question.. how many passengers seats are needed?

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ret25yo View Post
    whats the use of it ? thats the question.. how many passengers seats are needed?
    Mission is a "fun" airplane. Only need 2 seats, but 4 would be nice. Mostly used for fun lake hopping in Texas on the weekends. Prefer payload over speed, and shopping for as new of an airplane as possible. Serious contenders would be a New or Nearly new Husky (A-1C) or a little older C206 (2000 or newer).

Huge difference between those two. The Husky is a real rocket off the water, but suffers from small cramp interior size and limited crusing speed.
    Plus steel tube construction and fabric pretty much rule out salt water unless you want to buy a new plane every few years.

The C206 is something of a fat old dog off the water unless you find a Turboed version. But you can take out the rear seats and haul lots of junk. As long as you have very large lakes.

A Cessna 185 on Aerocet 3500 floats is a hard plane to beat for all around float work and heavy hauling.
    A few years ago I resisted the Aerocet plastic floats since I am a true Edo fan. HOWEVER, I have now flown Aerocets on a few 185s and the 3500 Aerocet is a great float for that plane.

Another plane that really shines on Floats is a Helio.
    They fly like another plane at low speeds, but cruise like a Cessna at higher speeds.

Since Texas is not extactly fat with lakes, you may want to consider an amphip. Although they can be a bit of a problem for low time or occasional flyers.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I agree, hard to beat a 185 on Aerocets for pure fun. Has enough room to be comfortable and will pretty much do anything within reason. However, in the 400K range you "could" afford a pretty nice Beaver. Now that there is an AIRPLANE I don't care who ya are.

Heck, since we're dreaming? My dream float plane would be a Pilatus Turbo Porter or a Viking-converted Turbo Beaver. Dream big. But $400K isn't enough jingle to buy that dream!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qstkil0aXvk

Or a turbine converted G-44 Widgeon amphib.....
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Wink

Mr. Pid, my first exposure to the Viking Beaver was at a mountain strip in Idaho, field elevation 7,800' he was on amphibs. Not something you'd expect to see but that was an amazing mountain A/C. It was a fresh overhaul and was being ferried back to it's no owner. Ferry pilot was taking a few liberties.
    Float pilot, OOOOoooo! You hit it with the Widgeon! There's that teal & cream colored Garrett powered Goose out of Anchorage, an old Forest Service ship I believe. He's landed out near our cabin a couple of times and hearing him come over the trees for a pass, deep into the triple digits is a worthwhile experience! Even the recip Goose is an amazing A/C. So's a Twin Beech on floats or wheels. Had one flying around the house off the neighboring strip last month. Those 985's sound wonderful!

Maybe one of these.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tim

I'm a little late to the thread, but since I plan on being a pilot sometime before I die, my dream plane is without a doubt is the beaver on floats and a radial engine. They're like a diesel pickup truck that flies. This is the first Beaver that I ever flew in when I was 2 years old and have loved the planes ever since!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life

Default I'll take you and the whole neighborhood .

Here's my ideal not thinking of money of course. akkevin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPOJ5yOElMs&feature=related

A Beaver. I have always loved them...... When ever I get the cash, I would buy one.

Ron

Is $400k going to buy a nice float equipped beaver? He also said only 2-4 seats were needed.

BUT...for $400k a guy could get the nicest 185 going. Big tanks, 88" McCauley, wing x-stol...and have money left over to fly the thing.