Thread: Pro Pioneer Oar Length

Default Pro Pioneer Oar Length

Hey guys! Wondering if someone has an opinion on the best oar length for a Soar Pro-pioneer. I am float hunting northern BC and will be expecting skinny water with lots of log jams, sweepers and travel close to the bank/shore. I have tried to search the archives but never had any luck. Do not need big water power, just good control and the "oh crap" ability to get across the river quickly or to shore on short notice. Other than that just casual rowing for tracking and a bit of speed, hopefully with a load . Thanks guys.

Default if you haven't already

you may want to post this question on the Pristine Ventures website.
    Gary

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    you may want to post this question on the Pristine Ventures website.
    Gary
    good luck i have 2 emails in to LB and have not gotten a reply yet...

i will measure mine when i get it home... (still in back of truck with wife)

we ran the Chena through town today... with inches of water..... for the most part it went well... drug bottom ONCE... (on the end wife was in.... thnik i didn't hear the end of it)
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default oars

Hey mate- Larry has been in the in the bush in south west alaska for the last two weeks looking for new areas. I have some pro- pioneer oars in a box here- will post the length tomorrow. Just wish i was there not A-town-
    Goo

Default Oars

The Cataract Mini Magnums are the oars I use with mine. 7.5ft two peice oar.

Quote Originally Posted by whitepalm View Post
    The Cataract Mini Magnums are the oars I use with mine. 7.5ft two peice oar.
    Plus 1

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

I just measured mine.. that came with the raft... ( used buck bags?) but all three are right at 7' (84") on our float yesterday. we were literally in INCHES of water most of the day... we lucked out and jumped in soon after the red green rigota got underway and the river was crowded so i stayed more to the side of the channel for the river boats... There were time i felt i was poling my self along keep in mind ... also i was flapping the water like a spawned out salmon on the end of a stick also....

i am not sure that i could have used a longer oar at this point... as i had difficulty keeping one inthe oarlock....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by goeaux View Post
    Hey mate- Larry has been in the in the bush in south west alaska for the last two weeks looking for new areas. I have some pro- pioneer oars in a box here- will post the length tomorrow. Just wish i was there not A-town-
    Goo

Thanks GO! and i JUST got a reply from him....I have heard he is hard to reach this time of year....

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    I just measured mine.. that came with the raft... ( used buck bags?) ...
    What does this mean? Am I correct to assume there is a reference to the boat im selling in the S&S?

Quote Originally Posted by whitepalm View Post
    What does this mean? Am I correct to assume there is a reference to the boat im selling in the S&S?

NO that is the type of oar... buck bags of idaho

meet on face book here

If thats the case, if I were you I would strongly consider a more suitable oar for your pro pioneer. Especially if you plan on hauling heavy loads on it. The Bucks Bags oars is ok for the smaller one man boats but not something I would feel comfortable rowing my Pro P with in a remote setting.

Although Im sure many have done it, a stronger oar is worth the cost to me.

as stated i am new to this... and am open to suggetions..as to brands and such

Thanks!

aslo are there some keeper to keep them in the oar lock? when i pull deep on one it pops up and out.

meet on face book here

You could use the oar rights that are mounted on the oars you already have and just swap them to the new. As far as the oar popping out of the lock goes, I know my minimags have a rope wrap but im not sure if they all come that way. It helps to keep the oar in the lock and reduces wear on the shaft. Could be a result of a weak oar lock too.

I think the Cataract Mini Mags are what Larry includes in the boat packages now.