Thread: Stern power outdrive

Default Stern power outdrive

I just inherited a 24' aluminum boat with a 6.9 International diesel conversion coupled to a Stern Power 103 through a 1:1 velvet drive. Has very low hours but has been sitting for a long time. Got it up and running and it really hauls.
    I have heard some pretty bad things about these outdrives. They appear to be the model of simplicity but I heard they are notorious for gear falure. It came with a manual that says max input torque should be under 300 ft. lbs. Do`nt know alot about the engine but saw online that the natural version @ 170 hp toques at 310 ft. lbs. Its turning a 19" x 22" which is the second to biggest on the chart for it. I`m a little concern it maybe over powered and over wheeled.
    Does anybody have any experience with this outdrive. Can I trust it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default In general - all outdrives will break somewhere in the future.

The limits are at max so if not used at max - should not be a problem.
    I have no experience with this one, but relax and injoy it. Just have a back up plan for breakdowns.

had 30 footer with international diesel >>>>>same as older fords had in early 90's. we had 100 series Stern Powr ( no e in power ) had failures time after time then found out the builder had installed it wrong that caused cavitaion and failure. cavitation plate should be 1-2 inches below keel. we put extenstion in and had very few problems. think what we had was stress to older parts. converted to twin engines (yanmar 230 hp ) did not have "many issues" after that sold boat 2 years ago and new owner has not had any issues.
    contact manufactuer he always seemed to be very helpful.
    last time i had it rebuilt it was by guy in Anchorage seems he did very good job. i would avoid outfit in bellingham ,WA that used to be distributor for them. deal directly with builder on East coast.
    Last edited by AK NIMROD; 07-26-2009 at 09:27. Reason: spelling
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default Konrad Outdrive

Well now I know the 7.3 is way too much power for the 103 Stern Powr outdrive. I got the boat all spiffed out and was starting to feel real confident in the package. I had put about 30 easy hours on it never using full power and cruising around 25-2700 rpm when BAM the upper gears broke.
    The original owner also told me it had blown on him but he had blamed it on his sons hot rodding. SO 2 failures in 150 hrs. Not Good.
    I tracked down a couple others with the same package that by the way had came from the Bellingham guy and guess what Same story.
    I am done with Stern Powr. and am now considering replacing it with a Konrad outdrive. I have talked with them and they can supply a bolt on replacement with a much higher torque rating than the SP.
    Any good or bad reviews on Konrad would be greatly appreciated. Its pretty pricey @ 14G but safety and confidence is worth a lot to me. If anyone is looking for Stern Powr parts cheap let me know
    Attached Images Attached Images

Did I miss something? Thought you were running the 6.9 instead of the 7.3?
    I fish with a guy here who has a 10,000 lb. fiberglass boat, single 210 cummins and a stern powr drive, it looks much bigger & heavier duty than yours in the picture. He's had multiple problems with the drive and transmission (Borg Warner).
    He's got 3 drives, all need re-builds, he finally found a use one somewhere that had been re-built and it's now been doing okay for about 3 months and he uses the boat at least once a week trolling 6-10 hrs a trip (Kauai).
    The boat is slow and will not get on step with this package, which he's tried in the past and has broken the previous drives. He just keeps the boat at trolling speed and will bump it up to 10-12 knots when going in.
    My neighbor builds boats and has commented that not only is the drive suspect, the BW trans is peanuts in size/duty.
    The Konrad drive was considered but with only 210 hp (max) on tap, why spend the bucks when you can get a 300 plus hp yanmar with a Bravo 3 or a used Volvo package for the same investment and much better reliability. Kinda sucks with the package as-is but he's content that at least he can go fishing daily in rough conditions and as long as he doesn't push it, should be okay, not ideal I know.
    Jim

Default Stern Powr

I run a Stern Powr with a 365 hp gas engine. It has been working fine for years. I also have many of these drives that I have started to part out if your interested in parts. If you need the upper gears I have several sets 132 ratio. I also have 2 factory rebuilt drives still in the boxes.
    wfmdfm1@verizon.net

Ah the old "free" inherited boat thing that is going to cost you $14K story...

I know this is an old thread but I need parts for a model 100 installation. Any help out there? Bob 907-399-1330