Thread: Moose Decoy?

Default Moose Decoy?

I was wondering if anyone here has actually used one of these? Was it worth it? Have you used it multipule time? Was it a waste of weight and money? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Seasons getting close
    Last edited by LuJon; 07-25-2009 at 06:51. Reason: spelling

Default Off subject..

I wonder if ADFG puts out moose decoys in Alaska like NC Fish and Game puts out deer "decoys"
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    I wonder if ADFG puts out moose decoys in Alaska like NC Fish and Game puts out deer "decoys"
    Yes they do, and aparently pretty good ones as there was a report on here last year of a member almost blowing a hole in one
    Fish and feathers set it up near the road to catch people not getting off the road way. Well the member got off the roadway and was about to plug it as I recall when the brown shirt called out for him to stop. I would have been highly annoyed!

Yes they work. I have some really cool stories calling moose in to decoys, but dont want to type them all now.

This bull was called in to the decoy and he didnt want to leave her. He was little guy with only 3 brow tines, so I could not shoot him. I had bulls bed down within 20 yards of the decoy, I even had a bull come in and make a rut pit while I was watching him.

When your calling moose, somtimes you just need that little extra to get them to step out for a shot. In my experiance this helps.

This is a bad picture, but you'll get the idea

I guess the picture didnt load. I'll try again.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default thought about it

I just haven't laid out the dough to buy one though. I can't see why it would not work. Decoys sure work for other deer. I normally hunt edges of swamps or cuts where moose, if coming across the other side, could see the decoy from a distance.
    Would be nice to hear some more success stories.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post

YOU BETCHA!!!!!

especially here in Fairbanks.. the 20B season closes the 15 yet the archery season in that area closes the 30th... so they set them on the boundries...

and Just out of town... they do quite well. until they put it out side my neighbors house....

YOU NEVER seen troopers run so fast.. after the Sargent in charge took our call..... ( the decoy was set up ... 30 yards out side his kids Br window in the dark.... imagine an attempted paoching)...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Here on the Pennisula I have not seen or heard of the fishcops using a moose decoy, but they many several spruce hen decoys that they set up on the edges of the most hunted gravel roads. They then wait for some fool to come along and blast them from the road. They make alot of money with those stupid chicken decoys!

It absolutely works.

Taylor

-[]------->

Default cow decoys?

seen as how the subject is up, what decoy works for cows? Baby moose decoys? Mayebe a decoy thats painted like our garden, they seem to love that!! Seriously though, wife got a tag and i did some legwork today and climed up to the top of the mountain and looked down and saw 2 cows and a bull in the area. What would attract a cow better, a bull decoy or another cow decoy? Im thinking another cow decoy as it seems like they like to hang with the other furry babes.

Also found an area with lots of rub sign, the thing about Hunting is that its not about the kill, but what i saw and heard today in the great outdoors. Saw more area than i ever had and heard the rain and river which beats any day at the shop listening to the aircompressor and phone.

If moose cant see color than all we need to do is go for shape of decoy rather than color of eye shadow right, or does the coloration matter?

Cow decoy? If you are being even remotely serious I strongly feel you are over thinking it. Cow hunting is easy, walk around, see cow, watch cow looking for calf, see calf keep on walkin...no calf shoot cow... be happy! Next year you probably won't draw another cow tag and will be forced to actually hunt!

Default On subject

I appreciate the responses so far and would appreciate those of you that find it necessary to mess up threads to stay on subject....... This wasn't started to hear about how stupid people violate the law and get caught shooting stuffed animals

Default No Decoys Here

Does that sound familiar to anyone?? Substitute fences for decoys and you have the source.

At any rate, I haven't used decoys for any ungulate because I hunt public land and I'm leery of being shot. Maybe Alaska is too big or too scarcely populated to be dangerous but I still like to be "on the safe side".

That said, there is no reason why a cow moose decoy shouldn't work. Personally, I haven't seen any need for one yet. It must be a pain in the butt to include one on a fly-in hunt - just because a moose decoy must be BIG.

Wink Moose Decoy

I have a Montana Moose Decoy but have not been able to try it out yet. I have been successful using the Elk Decoys. I have called in lots of Elk, most without the Decoy but the Decoy seems to get them that extra few yards closer to provide a good shot with a bow.

If I were rifle hunting....... I would probably not take the decoy.

My Moose Decoy is identical to the one northriver21 posted a picture of.

It is fairly light and has a steel band inside the fabric. You just give the steel band a twist and it coils into itself making it very packable. When ready to set up, just let go of the steel bands and the band springs out. Very simple design. It also has the two fiberglass legs to mount the Decoy on.

I will be taking it on a float trip with me in Sept. I will let you guys know who it works.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by northriver21 View Post
    I guess the picture didnt load. I'll try again.
    I purchased this same decoy last year and took it on a Koyukuk hunt. I used it and we shot 2 moose right in the area where we set it up, but I can't say for sure that it helped or that the bulls came to it. We also did a lot of calling and I kind of think that that is what brought them in. I don't think it hurt to have it though. When I first got it I set it up in the front yard with the nose poking in through the front room window and then had my mother-in-law acting like she was feeding it a banana, then I stood back and took a picture from about the middle of the legs up (so you can't see the fiberglass polls). Man let me tell you it looks just like the real deal. She took the photo back home (PA.) and fools everyone she shows it to.