Thread: E-Tec OB Motor fouling spark plugs

Default E-Tec OB Motor fouling spark plugs

I bought my boat and etec 50 hp as a pkg deal. I didn't specifically want an E-Tec, but I got a smoking deal on the package. After three seasons of using the motor I've found it to have some positives and negitives.

positives: runs great, torquey, responsive, very good fuel economy, uses very little ob oil

negitives: if you troll alot with it at low rpm it tends to foul spark plugs (I've had to change them twice a fishing season May through October.)

If I do ever need to repower, I won't go with the E-Tec again, I'll go with a yamaha 4 stroke.

Good to have some input on the e-techs since i'll be looking for a repower sometime. Have you thought of maybe running a little kicker instead, or is that the reason for the package deal (tight on $)?

Default When changing the spark plugs...

When changing the spark plugs, did you index them?
    I believe they need to be indexed.
    Load this link:

http://forum.theoutboardwizard.com/post?id=1493920

Grayling- I like to troll with my big motor, it is much easier if i am backtrolling the kenai, I make a pass, then run upsteam and do it again etc. also in cook inlet with the strong currents, make a trolling pass with the current and run back and do it again, so yes I did consider using my kicker, but it is an not optimal.

I did also check with the local E-tec dealer in anchorage regarding torque setting and spark plug install procedure. the dealer told me to install the plugs just like I would in a sno machine, snug then down then go 1/4 turn, do not torque them. They made no mention of any indexing procedure. Thanks for the additional information, I will check back with the dealer to make sure they gave me the correct spark plug install procedure.

Try not to use gasoline with ethonol. It will cause engines to foul plugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Popo View Post
    Try not to use gasoline with ethonol. It will cause engines to foul plugs.
    We are lucky in Alaska, no ethonol fuels up here yet! Thats not the issue

Quote Originally Posted by Djklamath View Post
    Grayling- I like to troll with my big motor, it is much easier if i am backtrolling the kenai, I make a pass, then run upsteam and do it again etc. also in cook inlet with the strong currents, make a trolling pass with the current and run back and do it again, so yes I did consider using my kicker, but it is an not optimal.

I did also check with the local E-tec dealer in anchorage regarding torque setting and spark plug install procedure. the dealer told me to install the plugs just like I would in a sno machine, snug then down then go 1/4 turn, do not torque them. They made no mention of any indexing procedure. Thanks for the additional information, I will check back with the dealer to make sure they gave me the correct spark plug install procedure.
    I run twin 200 E-tecs....they have to be indexed. I'd assume same on the smaller outboards......

What year motors are they, are they the 1st generation Ficts or the 2nd generation current motors?

I'd be very, very surprised if your plugs DIDN'T require indexing. You might want to pay your dealer a visit and determine whether or not they're up on things. If not, consider using another dealer.

This stuff isn't a secret. Fichts came on the scene over ten years ago. If a long time evinrude dealer doesn't know to index plugs, then they're beyond hopeless.

Ours are 2006 models. Look in your manual, it will tell you......

Enviro,

I didn't have the manual, the motor came with the operators guide, which didn't give any detailed information, just very general.

However, you are correct about the indexing and torque spec of 15 ft lbs, I spoke with the service department of the dealer in anchorage, they told me they would not discuss any details about my motor with me, but referred me to the 1-800 # national line that could help me. I called the 1-841-689-7090, they referred me to a website that confirmed your recomended procedure of indexing the plugs and torque settings. Furthermore they referred me to another website (shop.evenrude.com) where I could order the manual for around 70 bucks.

I then called the dealer in Soldotna who was very helpful, their etec trained mechanic spoke with me on the phone for at least 20 minutes and ran down all the possible reasons that the motor could be fouling plugs.

1. Plug Indexing issue
    2. thermostat not allowing the motor to get to the correct operating temp
    (this can be caused by a faulty water pick up keeping the engine too cold)
    3. software updates if needed can help the motor idle better and not foul plugs
    4. Also he noted that etecs don't like water in the fuel at all, he recommended that I have a water separator installed in my fuel line, or make sure I put the evinrude fuel stabilizer in every few tanks to keep moisture out of the fuel system.

Bottom line is that he said the etec should run at idle without fouling plugs. I am going to bring him my boat to hook the motor to his computer so he can make sure everything is in order.

After talking to the dealer in Soldotna, I'm pretty confident that one of the above listed issues is causing the plug fouling, and can be resolved.

Once this minor issue is resolved, I will be totally satisfied with the performance of my etec motor.

Again, Enviro thanks for the information!

... I did also check with the local E-tec dealer in anchorage regarding torque setting and spark plug install procedure... They made no mention of any indexing procedure...
    ... I spoke with the service department of the dealer in anchorage, they told me they would not discuss any details about my motor with me ...
    ... I then called the dealer in Soldotna who was very helpful, their etec trained mechanic spoke with me on the phone for at least 20 minutes and ran down all the possible reasons that the motor could be fouling plugs...

1. Plug Indexing issue
    (Sigh) I wonder if Anchorage will ever get a good Evinrude dealer... I suppose not, as long as enough people are willing to settle for poor service and inferior work to go along with high prices and bad attitude. Anyway, I'm glad you found what you were looking for, even if you had to go as far away as Soldotna to get it. So, have you found out how to index the plugs, of just confirm that they need indexing?
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

DJ- good to hear your getting it sorted out, or at least headed that direction. I forgot about the software upgrades, we had ours done this spring, though I can't say I noticed any difference.

Seems like a quick trip to an Evinrude shop for the software upgrade, new plugs and a system diagnosis (the plug n play computers can tell them a lot of info about what is going on with your outboards) is in order. Might be worth the couple hundred bucks. Curious, did you buy in Anchorage? If so, why won't the local dealer help?

Here is link to a pretty good forum for Etec's....... http://www.etecownersgroup.com/

Just a thought, but what if you went to a different pitch prop? That would put you at a higher RPM band, while achieving the same speed on water while trolling. If to no avail with anything else, I would check into this.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default oil

My understanding is there are two or three flavors of oil for the e-tec as well as a corresponding number of settings in the computer for the oil-type being used...I would imagine if these were not all skookum then you could foul plugs as well...

"Gun control is a proven failure in fighting crime. Law abiding citizens should not be asked to give up their rights because of criminals."
    -John McCain

Enviro,

I think the local deal is just extremly busy, they didn't ask me where I bough the boat/motor. I did buy the boat from A-1 in Soldotna and they've treated me well, so I'll have them do any work needed. After October I'll drop the boat to them so they can do the maintenance you are suggesting.

TWB,
    I'm already running the 13 pitch prop, so I don't want to go any lower than that.

Bethell,
    I'm already running the best oil xd-100, so that isn't the problem.

Default xd 100

I guess what I'm getting at is even though you are using the xd 100 oil, your motor may not be programmed to that oil type. The programming for the xd 100 injects less oil than either of the two other grades. I believe the stock oil setting is for the lowest grade stuff (for break-in purposes they want copious ammounts of oil in there). So, if you switched to the xd 100 without getting the engine re-programmed to lean-out the ammounted of injected oil, you will be running a bit rich on the oil ratio, hence, fouled plugs...

"Gun control is a proven failure in fighting crime. Law abiding citizens should not be asked to give up their rights because of criminals."
    -John McCain

Sorry Bethell, I guess you didn't understand my last post. When I bought the motor (brand new), the dealer programmed the motor to run on xd 100. I only run xd 100 in the motor so that isn't the problem.

I did not switch to xd 100 with the motor programmed to the other type of oil. From day 1 my motor has been programmed to run on xd 100, and I have run xd 100.