Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How about not running in to the Commerical Boat.

Default How about not running in to the Commerical Boat.

My boat gets hit every year and others do too - while tied to a buoy.
    Boat control - What a deal.
    We are doing all kinds of work while in the river - I've even ran a circle saw while on the buoy. Getting hit by a dipnetter while I'm tied-up is not
    a good thing. Infact a boat should never touch another boat - ever.
    Last year I had a rope cut because of all the wave action while tied to another commerical boat.
    Lets try to get along.

A prime reason why I've gone ashore (and down to the Kasilof). Complete idiots show up with under-maintained and overloaded boats and drive around like a bunch of drunk cowboys. It is ridiculous... and dangerous out there. As much as I hate to say it, I think more restrictions on boats used for dipnetting needs to be seriously considered.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default It's not the boats

It's the drivers. I almost got run over at the Kasilof this year by a guy in a perfectly good boat with a perfectly good load of people.

It wasn't my fault either. I saw him a little later powering his boat onto the shoals, then gunning it in reverse to get off.

Let's get the Coast Guard some reinforcements with breathalyzers citing folks for unsafe, inebriated, and show-off boating.

~tr

Of course you are correct in that it is the "drivers" and not the boat itself.

I'd be all in favor of a USCG fast boat patroling the dipping zones and issuing citations throughout the entire dipping period on the Kenai. The Park Service could do it as well. They already have the boats and the armed LEOs on staff and it's is their regulatory area anyhow.

If someone is drinking and driving, then they need to go to jail (same as if you are DUI in a car). But there are many other operational hazards going on out there that need enforcement.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Default Right On JOAT

I totally agree that some enforcement is needed during the dipping madness.I have never seen any Parks or Coast Guard out there during that zoo.Is there any one to contact to make some regulatory presence visible.
    I have no problem with anyone celebrating after the job is done.But obviously with people swamping,having heart attacks,and just being rude and inconsiderate of others....a calming presence would be an excellent idea.
    Who do we have to call ?

Default Uscg

USCG Marine Safety
    150 N Willow St # 41
    Kenai, AK 99611-9113
    (907) 283-3292

It's almost the inevitable that there's gonna be some accidents. Just look how many boats are out there. We had a fender bender last year and it was kinda my fault. I had my inexperienced son take the helm while I helped his friend get a fish out of the net. We were drifting and the other boat did cross the bow of my boat. They were drinking and he could've easily have avoided the collision by putting his boat in reverse instead of just hailing "hay hay hay". My son tried to avoid the hit by gunning it and whipping the wheel. He almost made it but he should have just put it in reverse too. We went to the shore and when I noticed two 12 packs in his boat I called the cops. They didn't give anybody a ticket which I was pretty shocked knowing they were drinking and driving.
    As far as the commercial boats go they are mored up to the buoys so I don't know why people can't drive around them.

Default Drinking and Anything Doesn't Mix

I was witness to a fiasco on the South Beach two weekends ago. A very well known Anchorage Contractor was STUCK in the sand in his 2 WHEEL DRIVE pickup; his very inebriated relative was trying to pull him out with broken straps. The inebriated relative ended up being arrested for a DUI because he was not only driving drunk but he had his toddler in the vehicle with him. We were waiting to reenter the beach and Pat Porter, the mayor of Kenai talked to us for a bit while we waited. She reported to us that the city of Kenai virtually DOUBLES in population during dipnetting season and extra police and infrastructure are needed to deal with it.

I'm not usually a proponent of adding fees or increasing fines for anything but in this case, since I'm an avid dipper and love the fact that we get to do it; I propose that we brainstorm some ideas to help the city of Kenai and Kasilof deal with the financial obligations that go along with weeding out the idiots from the rest of us.

My guide confirmed on thursday that a boat had indeed capsized in the dipnet area this previous week and that a lady had a compound fracture on her leg; ie the bone had broken through the skin. We as users of the resource are going to have to get our heads together before we ruin our own fishing priviledge. That means that the smart have to pay for the services to weed out the dumb. I'm all for the idea that if you get caught drinking and driving a boat while dipnetting then you lose your dipnetting privledge altogether; forever.

There's just too many people and too much danger SOBER to be adding alcohol to the mix. Let's all be a Kenai Keeper; and keep our priviledge protected. If you see someone being stupid and violating the law in any way shape or fashion, call the police. There's a fragile balance of politics and legalisms that are being attacked to get rid of dipnetting and we don't need to have dummies adding to their cause. If you beleive that we have a right to dipnet then please do your part to preserve it. A step that you can take is to join the South Central Alaska Dipnetters Association.

http://www.alaskadipnetting.com/

Please take care of our resource and each other.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Default Coordination Needed

How about having the SCADA call for a meeting with the City of Kenai, the State Troopers, the USCG, ADF&G, the State, this forum, and the public to discuss the problems, immediate measures, and possible more extreme consequences should we not solve these problems.

I'd drive down for such a meeting.

The problem is that it's generally the few that ruin it for the many. But then again, if it's just a few, then maybe we can intercept them before anything worse happens.

The handwriting is on the wall. While this year may have seen the greatest number of dippers yet, there are many, many more people that could potentially come in the years ahead.

~tr

First question is were are the troopers? they were around the first week now ? they have boats I guess just for show and tell at the schools .Where is fish and game they have all the toy`s to and again only for show and tell ? As for Kenai do the math lot`s of cash coming in spend some of it on what is need down there

Quote Originally Posted by brokeeye View Post
    First question is were are the troopers? they were around the first week now ? they have boats I guess just for show and tell at the schools .Where is fish and game they have all the toy`s to and again only for show and tell ? As for Kenai do the math lot`s of cash coming in spend some of it on what is need down there

Your right I think thats why they turn a blind eye..

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by peanuts View Post
    It's almost the inevitable that there's gonna be some accidents. Just look how many boats are out there. We had a fender bender last year and it was kinda my fault. I had my inexperienced son take the helm while I helped his friend get a fish out of the net. We were drifting and the other boat did cross the bow of my boat. They were drinking and he could've easily have avoided the collision by putting his boat in reverse instead of just hailing "hay hay hay". My son tried to avoid the hit by gunning it and whipping the wheel. He almost made it but he should have just put it in reverse too. We went to the shore and when I noticed two 12 packs in his boat I called the cops. They didn't give anybody a ticket which I was pretty shocked knowing they were drinking and driving.
    As far as the commercial boats go they are mored up to the buoys so I don't know why people can't drive around them.

It's almost the inevitable:

i will be hit by a semi

a bear will eat me in my tent

my four wheeler will explode while fueling /running
    AK airlines will send me to my death in the sea....

i will hit a moose at least once in my drive way.

a spruce grouse will attack my dog....

eventually....

accidents are preventalble..... we don't let our car just coast into some one?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    It's almost the inevitable:

i will be hit by a semi

a bear will eat me in my tent

my four wheeler will explode while fueling /running
    AK airlines will send me to my death in the sea....

i will hit a moose at least once in my drive way.

a spruce grouse will attack my dog....

eventually....

accidents are preventalble..... we don't let our car just coast into some one?

No but if you see a car coasting into you you turn.

My friend died while sleeping in a tent when a tree fell on him. S**t happens.

Also I don't know if you noticed or not but they don't have yellow lines in the middle of the river.

But they DO have very specific "rules of the road" for navigating a boat. And the USCG can cite & fine for not following those rules.

Perhaps they need to mark some channels in the dipping zone for the month of July. One for downstream travel and one for upstream travel. Follow the traffic pattern or get a ticket.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    But they DO have very specific "rules of the road" for navigating a boat. And the USCG can cite & fine for not following those rules.

Perhaps they need to mark some channels in the dipping zone for the month of July. One for downstream travel and one for upstream travel. Follow the traffic pattern or get a ticket.
    Yeah please site these rules because I asked the cop the same thing. I asked what the protocol was for drifting, the right of way and someone crossing your bow. You show me the rules. He was drifting the same direction as me. He crossed my bow!

Default In general the boat on the right has the riht-of -way.

That holds true unless one is fishing. A fishing boat normally has the right-of-way.
    There are situations - like a couple years ago. I was trying to pull into the dock to buy fuel and there was so many dippnetters coming down, no one would allow me to pull in. and besides that there was a boat tied to the pillings (cleaning fish).
    Luckly, I had one more day to fuel up before an opener, so I went back to my buoy and waiting for the dip's to thin out the next day. Noticed, I said the DIP'S!
    This year there was three commerical boats at the dock - two getting fuel and one getting ice. Me and three other commerical boats are idealing in place waiting our turn at the dock - get the picture - a very busy area.
    The DIP's would not go around, they kept coming straight down next to the dock. Between the boats idealing just off the dock and the boats at the dock.
    We hate seeing the dip season open. Too many boats and not any understanding.
    99% of our boats are rudder controlled, we do not turn as quick as an outdrive and can not turn as sharp.
    We are at work, while the unknowing are at play and the unknowing are getting in the way of the workers most of the time.
    A zone around the Wards Cove (Kenai Landing) docks would be one of the first things to help us workers.
    All boaters should learn some of the "Rules-Of-The-Road", if the Coast Guard gets involved the Rules will be what they will go by.

Default Check here

Quote Originally Posted by peanuts View Post
    Yeah please site these rules because I asked the cop the same thing. I asked what the protocol was for drifting, the right of way and someone crossing your bow. You show me the rules. He was drifting the same direction as me. He crossed my bow!
    Looks like just what you are looking for here (http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/mwv/navrules/rotr_online.htm). I haven't gone through it much, but it looks like it covers the basic rules of boating although it covers all kinds of boating, so I don't know how well it addresses the specific cases you refer to.

Thumbs up BOF fish proposal?

I'm thinking of submitting a proposal to the next Bof Meeting. While dipnetting from a boat, There must be a driver that does not handle a net while operating a boat. I saw so many drivers this month handling nets as well. When they got a fish, they idled or let go of the wheel to get the fish out of the net. I about ran over a couple of the dummies. I think that would help.
    With so many agencies having a hand in enforcement and responcibilities, It might just be smarter and more prudent to submit proposals to the BOF instead. What say you? Ken SCADA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast