Thread: Haul Road Hunt

Default Haul Road Hunt

I am planning on walking in past the five mile mark so I can rifle hunt. Set up camp and hunt from there. I have been reading a lot about people using boats to get up the river. So my question is are there people who will drop you off and pick you up. Or drop me off and I can float down. And how much will this cost. I donít need to go real far just to get where I can rifle hunt. Also is floating back down in a good raft something that can be done or is this unrealistic. Thank you for the help.

Default Search?

I don't know the answers to your questions, but have you tried the search function? Use advanced search, then narrow it down to hunting forum(s), then type in something like "Haul Road Boat" and search in Titles only.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Zeb

I have heard this guy does that.
    http://airboatfishing.com/alaska_hunting.htm

Default haul road hunt

First, although I have not hiked the 5 miles in, it is generally understood given the many posts about it that it isnt something that is very easy. Its been done and theres no reason it cant be done again, but do some research and know exactly what you ought to prepare for.

Second, utilizing the river system to get outside the corridor is a great plan. You are either going to have to hire someone to fly you in and drop you so you can float or hire an airboat captain to drop you and then you could float back. I certainly wouldnt do this by yourself. Finding a hunting party that is going up and has an extra spot in their boat might be an option, although its a long shot. Make a post offering to pay for a spot in the boat. You may be able to get someone whos already going to defray their cost in these tough economic times by allowing you to pay for gas or something. It would definetly be worth a few hundred bucks to get outside the corridor by boat as opposed to trying to walk.

The walk.......5 miles across a field of bowling balls covered with a 4 inch thick sheet of soaking wet sponge!

The sag, well it can go from a nice leisurely float to class 4 overnight depending on how much it rains in the mountains. Do your home work first and get a partner. (yes Rick did recommend a hunting partner and personally wouldn't do that float without one.)
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

I allready have a partner and have walked on that stuff before so i know it is not a easy walk. That is why i ask about being droped off by a boat. Neather me or my partner have a lot of rafting experence so just wanted to know how bad that river can get. Thanks for the info and if any one else knows someone who drops people off with there boat please let me know. Thanks again.

I spoke with a guy at Barney's recently who does search and rescue. He said he was up at the Sag recently. Two rafters (I believe they were hunters) were going down it on seperate rafts. One some how fell off out of his buddy's sight and drown. Be careful!!!!

Brett

i was up there last year there was a guy running an airboat operation outta there. we took our own boat out but still ended up puttin between 20-25 miles on the boots between glassing and hauling out meat. There were no caribou near the river but got some a few miles off the river. Its rough walking but worth it.

Last time I checked the airboat ride I wanted to do was $750 per person. Too steep for me to take my two kids and I...plus the drive up there.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Last time I checked the airboat ride I wanted to do was $750 per person. Too steep for me to take my two kids and I...plus the drive up there.
    no kidding a 100 gallons of fuel (R/T) is still tight this year... but not as bad a last year yet...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default i have hiked the 5 miles solo

I hiked in the 5 miles solo with a whole camp and hunted out past the corridor. it was awsome, mind u i was in shape ran at least 4 miles a day, and i still was a bit sore. seen alot of bou but nothing worth the 50 mile pack with meat antlers and camp.
    now if i would of carried my bow, i seen more big bulls in the 2 -3 mile range then out past the 5 mile.
    wonder if caribou can read the regs
    but just to get off the road is an awsome eperience and if u take your time isnt that bad of a walk.

good luck