Thread: Whittier Weather

Default Whittier Weather

So, with all this crappy weather sticking around, It looks like Whittier might be somewhat doable tomorrow morning and most of the day. What do you guys think? I'm not thinking of going all the way out to Knight, but maybe Main Bay or in closer. Think it's doable in a 20' Hewescraft? This is my last weekend in town for a few months and want one last chance at some fishing/shrimping in the new boat.....

Rob

No need to go that far. Drop the pots closer in and troll for silvers either over by Lake Bay or in front of Culross Passage. Then you're only a short run from Passage Canal if the seas come up again.

Default fierce weather

It does sound like tomorrow might be the best window of the weekend, but it still doesn't sound that good. Remember that forecasts can be off by hours. I would take the above advice and stay closer in a twenty footer. There are some silvers around. I plan on hiding behind an island and trolling for the next few days. This is the longest stretch of wind I can remember this early. Hopefully another month of warm and flat is coming.

Good Luck. Trying to get into a window that small is not smart, They are calling for Small craft and Gale warnings Saturday night. I have a 22' and I wouldn't bother, but if you want some pucker time I say go for it.
    Dave

Default Chicken

Well, I chickened out this morning and stayed home to do some chores. So, did anyone brave the weather forecast?

Rob
    Chasin Tail'

I think that was a wise decision. I wasn't about to go out in my 24-footer.

Default Small Craft Warnings

It's always a good idea to error on the side of caution. Back in the 70s I went out with a friend and it got real nasty - I asked him if he ever checked the weather - his reply was, yeh they called for small craft warnings - but you know there never right. Well they were right that time and we almost sunk the boat - also the dump ___ never checked his bilge pump for operation.
    How stupid is it to be wasting tons of salmon and halibut as bycatch in the Bering Sea and then have the coastal villages hollaring they have no food? It's got to stop!

Quote Originally Posted by robbentler View Post
    Well, I chickened out this morning and stayed home to do some chores. So, did anyone brave the weather forecast?

Rob
    Chasin Tail'

Wise choice. With choices like that, there will many more good days of fishing ahead for you for many years.

Default NOAA forecast for Passage Canal

For what it's worth:

PKZ129-270200-
    PASSAGE CANAL400 AM AKDT SUN JUL 26 2009.TODAY...E WIND 20 KT WITH GUSTS TO 30 KT THIS MORNING. WINDS
    DIMINISHING TO 10 KT THIS AFTERNOON. SEAS 3 FT. RAIN.
    .TONIGHT...VARIABLE WIND 10 KT. SEAS 2 FT.
    .MON...E WIND 15 KT. SEAS 2 FT. RAIN.
    .MON NIGHT...E WIND 10 KT. SEAS 2 FT.
    .TUE...VARIABLE WIND 10 KT. SEAS 2 FT.
    .WED...VARIABLE WIND 10 KT. SEAS 2 FT.
    .THU...VARIABLE WIND 10 KT. SEAS 2 FT.

Default Current data from buoy station 46081

I think this is the right buoy for Whittier:

Conditions at 46081 as of
    (4:50 am AKDT) 1250 GMT on 07/26/2009:

Wind Direction (WDIR):NNE ( 20 deg true )
    Wind Speed (WSPD):17.5 ktsWind Gust (GST):21.4 kts
    Wave Height (WVHT):1.6 ft
    Dominant Wave Period (DPD):3 sec
    Average Period (APD):2.6 sec
    Atmospheric Pressure (PRES):30.09 in
    Pressure Tendency (PTDY):-0.06 in ( Falling )
    Air Temperature (ATMP):50.0 F
    Wind Chill (CHILL):43.5 F

Default 105 degrees

I am a little out of the loop right now as it is going to hit 105 in central Californis today!!!

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Buoy 46081

I never trust the wave height for this buoy it always seems to be very low compared to the actual conditions. Now the wind speed and direction can be very useful.

Lightbulb Weather in Whittier

Just a friendly reminder the buoy reports average the wave height so they report 1/3 the wave height, it explains it clearly if you read the report completely. Please do not leave out of Whittier if the wind is blowing or is expected to blow more knots than your vessel is feet long. When the wind is blowing in the weather reports from the East you are headed into the storm it is always bad. If it is blowing from the West it is usually a local wind and will usually get better farther out. Just remember when it is blowing from the West to only use 1/3 of your fuel going out because it will take 2/3 of your fuel for a safe return to Whittier in a West wind. The harbor is a good place to call and see what the weather is actually doing before you come. Don't we all wish we could get paid for being wrong so many times, like the weather forcasters. Happy boating stay safe no shrimp or fish is worth risking our lives for.

Much better to be at home wishing you were fishin, then out at sea wishing you were back on land.

I still remember a buddy telling me about the time he took his C-dory 22 from Seward to Montague to go deer hunting. He didn't go into details of what the return voyage was like, but he did say when he got back to port, he lied down on the dock and kissed the ground, then proceded to the bar and stayed there until closing time.

From what I've found fishing out of Whittier, unless I can get to Knight Island it pretty much isn't worth going. And if the water is too nasty to get out to Knight, there really aren't any protected areas worth fishing on the way over.

Also once you get a couple of feet of chop, it's almost impossible to fish in a smaller boat.