Thread: Required Registration

Default Required Registration

Do we need to have current registration if we use a motor on our rafts. I think I remember something about not needing it if it was under 16 feet?

Default YES

But if you read the DMV form online you can have a copy of the Reg form and use as a temp for 60 days , heck thats the whole summer. Loophole or dumb rule or both?

I understand if you put a motor on it, you have to have it registered. Also if the raft is 16' or longer you have to register. The temp registration is a nice loophole but check to make sure that's not contingent on completing and paying the fee in order for it to be effective.

Default required registration

If you put a motor on your raft Registration is required. I was busted in the middle of Skilak Lake 2 years ago while camping on a island. Registration is fairly cheap, like $35.00.

Here's the website link.
    http://www.state.ak.us/dmv/reg/boat.htm

Powered boats need a registration.
    A non powered does not regardless of length unless you're a sport fishing guide.

This rule changed in 2004.

In 2001 I had to register a 17' sea kayak- now I do not.

Yes it looks like I do need registration. $25. no big deal. Other things have changed also. Now you don't need the Class IV throwable device if you are under 16 foot either.
    http://www.dnr.state.ak.us/parks/boa...oatrequire.pdf

I bought my 16' drifter this year with motor. I had to register it, plus I need a Fire Ex, throw cusion, day signal mirror, night signal flares and i feel like im forgetting something else that I had to buy
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Here it is, and no thats not a loophole to use forever I just do it every year on FishCatAttachment 38443

I got a $60 whistle the first time I run my raft (14ft w/motor) on the middle river. I had life jackets but no sound producing device on board and no registration. The trooper let me slide by giving me a whistle but he still wrote me up for no registation.

That is what I was forgetting. Sound maker. I got one of those air horns and a whistle
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight