Thread: Re-sizing help...HELP!

Default Re-sizing help...HELP!

Would like to share outdoor images but I am a computer dunce x 10. I use Vista operating system and Picassa to edit images. I can't figure out how to resize images so they will upload. Same on craigslist. I can email images no problem. Anyone know of a tutorial for either of the above. I signed up for photobucket but can't figure out how to upload to that...Pathetic, I know! Any help will be much appreciated.

I don't use Photobucket or Picassa so I can't help much on that. But if you enjoy photography, consider Adobe Photoshop Elements 7.0 and a book by Scott Kelby, "Photoshop Elements 7.0 for Digital Photographers". This book will teach you all you need to know (and more). Perfect software for improving images, storing all images, and of course, resizing. This software is simple to use and quite powerful. It is very easy to understand Scott's book and it has pics of the actual computer screen as it is telling you what to do. Very simple to use software with Scott's book. I mostly just increase vibrancy, saturation perhaps, sharpen, and batch resize. Often I will crop and recompose a bit as well. PSE is capable of doing much more, but that is basically what I do. Since I shoot in RAW, I sometimes change the WB as well. Resizing in PSE is idiot proof. Good for guys like me. With PSE, you just batch resize in one simple step with the click of a button or two, save that in a seperate folder, and that is the folder you upload to your choice of online photo sharing websites like Photobucket, Smug Mug, Flickr, etc... I use Flickr personally and love it. The PSE 7 and book are about $100 (or less) and can be bought together on Amazon. With PSE, this batch resized folder I name as "resize...." is what I download to Flickr. The original folder (full size edited RAW images) and the Flickr folder (resize....) are both kept in our computer, only the "resize" are downloaded to Flickr. They download fast to Flickr this way yet you keep the original master originals in your computer for archiving, printing, etc... So for every shoot, I will have a RAW original unedited folder in "My Pictures" on my PC. Title would be "Kenai May '08". This is the original images and unedited in PSE. The second folder, a subfolder in "My Pictures" is "Kenai May '08 edited". These are saved as high quality jpegs. That is the enhanced images that I would print and such. Very high quality, edited end result if you will. The third folder in "My Pictures", a second subfolder under the master is "Kenai May '08 resized". This is only used for downloading to Flickr and internet usage. These are of course saved jpegs, but middle quality compared to high quality like the second folder. This all sounds more complicated than it is. I am not a post processing guy at all. The stuff I am telling you here is the most simplistic version of post processing. I should also say that there are surely more effecient work flows, I am just able to tell you how I do it. But it should be noted that there is likely a better way. I just got into all this last year myself. If you get the PSE 7.0 and Scott's book, you will see how simple this is. Happy to help if I can, just shoot me a PM if applicable. Below is a Flickr slideshow and I like sharing images with friends/family this way. See the link below as an example...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2114408...95387576/show/

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I use Image Converter One. I downloaded it for free at downloads.com. There are newer, and I'm sure better, programs available, also for free. Image Converter works great for me.

http://download.cnet.com/windows/ for lots of options..... or

http://www.ashongsoft.com/ for Image Converter One

Thanks for the responses. I'll research both of them. I'm no Ansel Adams but it would be nice to be able to post a few of my better ones.

Default Another Option

Do a google search for "shrink pictures"

Living @ the Top of the World in Barrow Alaska

There are literally thousands of programs that can re-size a photograph

ACDSee is an award winning outstanding image viewing, correcting, and storage etc. for images. It has more features than I can possibly name.

For the most part, I only use photoshop for PRINTING my images.

DOWNLOAD a free trial of ACDSee

ACDSee 2009 is the fastest viewing software around!

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    Would like to share outdoor images but I am a computer dunce x 10. I use Vista operating system and Picassa to edit images. I can't figure out how to resize images so they will upload. Same on craigslist. I can email images no problem. Anyone know of a tutorial for either of the above. I signed up for photobucket but can't figure out how to upload to that...Pathetic, I know! Any help will be much appreciated.
    http://tutorials.photobucket.com/tutorial_188.html

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I'll research both of them. I'm no Ansel Adams but it would be nice to be able to post a few of my better ones.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=21097