Thread: Brooks float transporter?

Default Brooks float transporter?

I wanna say I remember reading about a Guide/Tranporter that you can rent a raft from, and he will drop you off/pick up? I'm trying to get started on a 10 day float hunt in the Brooks range next year for sheep. Thanks..Kev

Default yukon Air Service

Get with Kirk Sweetsir at Yukon Air.

Default Some options...

Not sure what part of the Brooks you are going into, but below are the few pilots I know of that have good reputations. Most will rent rafts or can tell you who to rent from.

Kotzebue

Eric Sieh
    Hageland Aviation

Hageland Aviation Services, Kotzebue
    P.O. Box 697
    Kotzebue, AK 99752
    Mon - Sat: 8 am - 6 pm
    Sun: 12 noon - 6 pm
    Phone (907) 442-2936
    1-888-442-2939 statewide toll free
    Fax (907) 442-2048
    hasotz@hageland.com

Bettles

Brooks Range Aviation
    http://www.brooksrange.com/

Bettles Air (Bettles Lodge)
    http://www.bettlesair.com/

Coldfoot

Coyote Air

http://www.flycoyote.com/

Ft Yukon

Kirk Sweetsir
    Yukon Air

http://www.yukonair.com/

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Thumbs up That's one...

handy list there, Dan. Thanks.

Your welcome Dwight. These folks I have either used or heard good things about from several people. Good references are valuable when picking a pilot as you well know. I am sure there are others, but these are the only ones I am familiar with.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Eric Sieh is no longer working for Hageland. Another, less experienced guy is doing the off airport flying.
    The owner of Bettlers Lodge, Dan Klaes, passed away in the last year. I think the air service is still up and running
    I believe that unit 23 sheep is most all "no aircraft access".
    Kirk Sweetsir is a good pilot, but he bases in Ft. Yuk. That's a long way from the brooks.
    Hit up Coyote.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Sucks to hear about Eric. He was my go to guy up in Kotz. If Jared is half the pilot of Eric, he will be fine as a replacement.

As for Bettles Lodge, they are still going full swing from what I can tell. I was talking with them recently about a float trip on the Alatna.

Kirk Sweetsir is based in Ft Yukon, but he picks up many folks in Arctic Village. Most people getting up into that part of the Brooks fly with Wright Air in Fairbanks up to Arctic Village. That is a scheduled air taxi and about $250 pp round trip. Kirk picks you up in Arctic Village and takes you where ever. Your return would likely be the same in reverse. I am planning a trip to the Kongakut in ANWR and Kirk is the guy I will be using. Some of his previous customers gave him the highest compliments.

Coyote Air seem like good folks, but they only have a Beaver and that is pricey if you don't need the payload. Also, getting to Coldfoot is not easy in the first place. But they do seem to be very well thought of and my dealings with them are in support of that. Nice folks and they seem very knowledgable.

Default Kotz

You can use Jim Kincaid with Northwestern aviation in Kotz... terrific pilot, very experienced in the area. he fly's 206's and 180's either wheel or float... you can rent the gear in kotz from either him or walt with backcountry rentals....

Default Bettles Air has rental rafts...

described below:

"We have a few different types of rafts for rent. A 12 ½ foot Northwest River Supply 6 man Raft, 12 foot Avon 6 man rafts, 14 foot Avon 8 man raft, 15 ½ foot incept inflatable canoe 2 man , and also a 16 foot soar inflatable canoe. They are all paddle rafts, no rowing frames. $350 a week for rafts, $270 a week for inflatable canoe. We supply the paddles, life jackets, patch kits, and pump."

Good luck.

From some other websites to add to what 6XLeech and AKGreg put up top....

Fort Yukon-Yukon Air

"Boating Equipment
    We can provide the following rafts with lightweight rowing frames and oars or as paddle boats. All boats are provided with a pump, patch kit, rowing frame with a seat/storage box (as required), bow and stern lines, appropriate cargo nets and a limited selection of cargo straps and line. We do not ask for a damage deposit on our boats but will charge our costs to repair any but minor punctures. Such costs can be significant if shipping the boat to the dealer in Anchorage is required. If a boat is damaged beyond practical repair, we will charge our replacement cost.
    14' NRS Self-bailing rafts
    Oar-rigged weight is 180 lbs and paddle raft weight (with 6 paddles) is 150 lbs. $65/day."

Bettles-Brooks Range Aviation

"Rafts and Canoes available
    On-site grocery store for last minute items
    Alaska State Licensed Big Game Transporter
    Customize any adventure trip"

Coldfoot-Coyote Air

"We offer rafting equipment rentals and the use of bear barrels"

Kotzebue- Walt Maslen

http://www.northwestalaska.com/services2.html

You guys are the heat!! You have givin me a great start! Thanks.. Kev

I would ask all your prospective flight services if they are licensed Transporters. Licensed Transporters will understand the landownership of the areas they are placing you; they are required to know by law. Regardless of which flight service you are using always ask who the land owner(s) are in your drop area; State, Federal (BLM, National Preserve, US Fish and Wildlife Service, US Forest Service), or private. Beware if they can’t quickly tell you – the good ones will know.