Thread: Predator Caliber?

Default Predator Caliber?

I'm going to start doing some predator hunting and am looking for some recommendations on which caliber to choose. I have narrowed it down to either the .204 Ruger, .22-250 or possibly the new .223 WSSM. My hunting will be pretty casual, not a hardcore effort but do want to get out and enjoy winter. I'd like some input from you all to get your opinions. If I run across a wolf would the .204 be borderline on a wolf or would it be enough gun?

I do not intend to spend a bunch of money but am looking at either a Remington SPS in either the .204 or .22-250 or possibly the new Weatherby Vanguard Varmint Special in the .22-250. The new WSSM appears to be produced in Rugers and Winchesters and also Brownings which are a possibility as well.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

It all depends on the ranges and whether or not you intend to do something with the hides. All of those calibers have the potential to mess hides up pretty well if you don't use the right ammo and place your shots carefully. No problem with any of them for clonking a wolf, I would imagine.

Default excellent predator site

www.Predatormasters.com

You can search the forums there too. Almost any questions regarding predators have been discussed thouroghly. I am shooting a T/C Encore in .223 fitted with a Burris signature 6-24x scope myself. Sweet shooting rig and I have no doubt it would do a wolf in.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default varmint round

I would say the 204 is the better fur friendly round but im not sure about the wolf thing. Ive heard of a few lost yotes with that caliberBut that could be shot placement. As for the remington sps i would check it out first. I was surprised that remington put their name on it. The action is really sloppy and my 7 year old can do better blueing. CZ's are worth looking at. Good luck Hillbilly

22.250 Range and power to do what you want plus available ammunition and reloading supplies. And an accurate round.

Default What other recommendations?

OK guys, a couple of you are leaning away from the .204 Ruger, .22-250 and not much said about the new .223 WSSM. It appears that the .223 is a crowd favorite as well. I haven't dug into the ballistics end of this research yet but are you guys leaning away from my potential choices because of velocity/hide destruction compared to the .223 or for other reasons??? I know there are always plain old "favorites" but I want to make a sound decision before I slap down some coin on the table.

Thanks.
    Brian

Default my choice...

Growing up in Oklahoma I did an abundant amount of coyote calling. With the wide open plains and small hills, long shot were common but we generally focused on getting the dogs to come in as close as possible. Often times we were shooting dogs at 5-50 yards as well as 300 yards. I never had a problem with my .22-250 Rem in a Browning A-bolt Hunter. I typically shot a 55 grain Nosler ballistic tip and rarely had any major pelt damage. In fact, it was more common for the bullet to never exit the animal no matter what the range! Another bullet that I used was the Speer 55 gr. soft point. It exited more often and caused a little more pelt damage but I hardly ever skinned any dogs anyway. I prefer the ballistics of the .22-250 as flatter, faster, and powerful enough to take a wolf and even deer (taken 3 or 4 deer with mine). But then again, you should choose your round in accordance with the application. Happy Shopping,

Default H&r 223

I got a stainless bull-barrell H & R. It is cheap, mine had an amazingly nice trigger, and is accurate. And the ammo isn't much more expensive than 22 rimfire.

I'd sat go with an Encore pistol in .22-250 or .223 (Get it with a 16" barrel & you can always stick a carbine stock on if you want. Just start with a frame that was originally sold as a handgun & you can convert it to rifle legaly. Can't legaly go the other way.). It would be my choice 1st because I love single shot handguns, but also due to portability. Great on a snow machine, 4 wheeler, strapped to a back pack, or carried on a sling or in hand. You give up a touch in ballistics, but not much (especially if you handload) & the accuracy can be every bit as good as a rifle.
    I also hear great things about the H&R in the accuracy dept. & that they are a great value.
    Personaly I'll probably be playing with my 10" Contender in .22 Hornet with a 2-6 variable on it this winter. OK on wolves at calling ranges & coyotes out to 200 yds.
    If I were looking for a paycheck at it that would definetly change things ;-)
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

I have a 22-250, but for fur friendlyness I'm looking for a .17 Rem.

Smile Blastin Varmints

I've lived in Texas and been a varmint hunter for 36 yrs. I've used a lot of wildcats and most of the standard factory NUMBERS. I started with a 222 Rem. amazing accuracy and out to 250 yds. lethal on all varmints to the size of coyotes. I then decided if the 222 was such a good round the 220 Swift should be better. It extended my range by 150 or so yards but was a little hard on barrels. I traded it off for a 220 Weatherby Rocket, BAD MISTAKE,the Weatherby lacked the accuracy for a long range gun on small varmints like praire dogs. I traded it for a .221 Fireball, it was an effeceint round and very accurate, it got stolen. I bought a .17 Rem., waste of bucks, it was accurate for the first 5 or 6 rounds then the tiny little lands fouled and bullets didn't hit the same spot. It also didn't work very well past 200 yards if the wind was even perceptable. It went the way of the DoDo bird and was replaced with a .22 PPC REM XP-100 rifle extremely accurate very effecient, explodes praire dogs at 500 plus yards and makes quarter inch groups a common thing(still got it). My next trial was a 223 Rem. Heavy Varmint, it shot 4 inch groups right out of the box at 100 yds. Took it to my smith, got it back in 4 days shooting 3/8" groups( had a bad crown).Traded it to a friend for 223 REM PSS, hard to beat outof the box (minus weight). I could go on and on BUT. All of the above rifles were Remington 700 or 721 with varmint style barrels, shooting Seirra 52gr Matchking BTHP. I now have 9 varmint rifles 22 PPC to 220 Swift and the big boys 6-284 and 270 Win.. When in doubt I still grab my old trusty 220 Swift. I've taken animals to the size of Texas whitetail. In order to minimize pelt damage you might need to reduce bullet weight and increase sectional density. Never fired a 223 wsm.

Default 25.06

You might think of this as overkill, but I use a Sako Hunter in 25.06 for everything from rabbits to coyotes. Mule deer, and even spike only elk hunts. I never have shot at a wolf before.

It is topped off with a bausch and Lomb 6x24 Varmit scope, and is excellent for sitting on a hill and seeing EVERYTHING in the valley below. (I can even see the moons of Jupiter and Saturn with it!!!)

With a 120 grain FMJ or Partition type bullet, there is only a pencil size hole going in, and same going out, no expansion. plus its a bit more comforting to carry in Alaska with bigger predators out there.

I know, I know, its not the best for bear, so lets not get into a discussion about using the wrong gun for bears, but it is more comforting having a bigger rifle.

I would like to get a 223 rifle some day, screw the fancy new calibers and hard to come by shells or expensive brass. There are so many calibers to choose from, and right now the bigger ones are more interesting to me.
    Formerly known as one who clings to guns and religion