Thread: Kenai Fishable for Kings?

Default Kenai Fishable for Kings?

Any reports from the river on weather it is fishable at all? I see that the flood watch is back in effect and it looks like rain in patches on the radar. The flow guage is up over 17,000 cfs at Soldotna. I know it is bad but still trying to figure out if it is worth trying to use large SNG's, lots of eggs, plus any other juice I can pour on there or not for the last weekend to try for a king for the year. It may be best to just go try for something else like Seward silvers or upper Kenai reds. Any reports would be appreciated.

Just talked to a buddy of mine who lives on the river. He pulled his boat out of the river as its too high but he did see a few nets flying including 3 different fish on in one hole.

Klickman

Fished 6am to 2 pm with a guide...three rods in the water...narry a nibble...saw exactly ONE fish caught during those eight hours doing the Eagle Rock drift....about 15-20 lbs and blushed as if it was embarassed to be the only stupid fish caught. Didn't hear any word from other parts of the river that it was any better, though from the previous post at least some were taken.

Water is a tad cleaner than yesterday, both in visibility and amount of debris, according to our guide.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Default Dragging very ineffective...

Quote Originally Posted by nickster View Post
    Fished 6am to 2 pm with a guide...three rods in the water...narry a nibble...saw exactly ONE fish caught during those eight hours doing the Eagle Rock drift....about 15-20 lbs and blushed as if it was embarassed to be the only stupid fish caught. Didn't hear any word from other parts of the river that it was any better, though from the previous post at least some were taken.

Water is a tad cleaner than yesterday, both in visibility and amount of debris, according to our guide.
    During times of limited visibility draggin is very ineffective.

8 hours yesterday, 4 rods in the water, one snagged branch...that was it. Saw 4 fish caught, all appeared under 30 pounds.

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Thumbs down Just off the kenai at 4:00 PM Friday

I fished off the bank @ RM 15 from 5:00 AM til 4:00 PM Friday.Saw 3 people hook up out of a lot of boats,both guided and private.Lots of trees coming down the river.Level was 6 " higher than Thursday's.Visibility @ 12 inches or less. Was using SNG's with eggs.One take-down no connection.A little drizzle,not too bad.Saw 2 half-day trip come in with a 43 lber and a 27 lber.
    All in all not the best conditions ,but some folks like to fish mud.It really wasn't that bad.Didn't see or hear of very many co-operative fish today.But it sure beats doing chores.Like someone else said on a different post,when in doubt ---go fish.Good luck-------your gonna need it.......

Quote Originally Posted by TYNMON View Post
    During times of limited visibility draggin is very ineffective.
    What do you prefer when the visibility is decreased? I would think a Quickfish to put out vibration and noise, or maybe eggs and a spin n glo for a clearer scent trail but I do not have as much experience as you do.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Report from up above is that the river is clearing.

Good water should hit the lower river sometime today.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Thumbs up I sure hope you are correct

Fisheye,
    Is your brother upriver to give you that report?I really hope he's right.Gotta go back to work Monday morning on the slope.Might be my last chance for a Kenai King this year.But there's always the salt....
    Will give it one more try Sunday.....hope the mojo is working Will post a result later .Good fishin to all........

Default Shalllower water...

Quote Originally Posted by moose-head View Post
    What do you prefer when the visibility is decreased? I would think a Quickfish to put out vibration and noise, or maybe eggs and a spin n glo for a clearer scent trail but I do not have as much experience as you do.

Kwikfish and eggs... Think very dark colors also.. Shallower you go the better.

Keeneye,

Has the killey stopped pushing dirt into the river?

I floated Skilak to Bing's yesterday and pulled out around 10:30. It's still way dirty below the Killey and she's still pushing a good bit of mud. Don't know what it was like before yesterday though...

Not good news for the end of king season:

http://pafg.arh.noaa.gov/zonefcst.php?zone=AKZ121

The Skilak Glacier dam is draining the lake on top of our very high water.

Lots of huge trees floating down today. The water is clearing but it is running very fast and there is a lot of junk. Be careful out there.

BTW, I mean some huge trees coming down, it is going to get ugly out there.

While fishing from shore for sockeye for 2 days and about 6-8 hours combined I saw quite a few boats fishing for kings. Out of these boats only saw one land anything, looked about 25 lbs or so and somewhat blushed. This was in downstream of swiftwater campground-

P.S- Above posters are NOT joking about bad conditions, water was extremely high, debris everywhere. It was also not uncommon to see a 25-50+ foot tree coming down the river in its entirety every now and then, I hope one of these beasts doesn't sweep an unaware fisherman or boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Collett View Post
    Fisheye,
    Is your brother upriver to give you that report?
    It "was" a good report... that is until it was trumped by the latest news of the Skilak Glacier ice dam giving way. The impending high muddy water throughout the entire river below Skilak just about seals the fate of the rest of the king season.

Stick a fork in it... it may as well be over.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Red face Just off te Kenai @ 1:30 Sunday

The wife and just got off the river .We saw at least 10 nice (size and color) kings pulled in today at/near the Pillars.All nice fish.A 10 years old boy caught one that looked to be as big as he was.Good for him.....
    Our boat wasn't quite as lucky.One take-down but no connectiin.So much for my King season this year.Except for salt-water next month.Sure hope those silvers keep coming into Seward.The reports I've looked at gives a guy a lot of encouragement. I will get fish !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Heading north for 2 weeks in the morning,maybe I can hook into some grayling on the Sag or Kuparek Rivers.I'm sure I'll be trying.Good luck to all you who still have the chance to hook that big one.There's always next year.(God, how I hate to have to say that)
    By the way there were a few trees coming down river today.Not as much as a few days ago,but enough to keep an eye out for.Be carefull out there and have fun.
    Last edited by Mark Collett; 07-26-2009 at 15:18. Reason: lousy spelling

We fished about 3 hours Sat. evening without touching a fish and did not see any fish hooked in that timeframe. Fished mostly at the CrossOver. Fished again Sunday from the CrossOver down and did not touch a fish again. First time in a few years that has happened on the last Sun. in July. Pretty muddy conditions, at least I'll blame it on that. Fished the Upper Kenai for reds on the way home and lots of fish up there to put some fish in the freezer. Time for silvers I guess.