Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The agony of it all !

Default The agony of it all !

I cannot stand it any longer !

I have to say this has to be, by far, the most aggravating year to date, for reading posts by permit winners asking for information.

I have never seen so many uniformed, unprepared and uneducated queries regarding the permit areas and access to those areas.

PLEASE people do your research BEFORE you APPLY and be prepared to make that hunt whether you win it or not!

Be PREPARED for the sake of others who put in the time and are prepared to make that permit a legitimate effort at success.

Applying and winning these treasures only to be squandered by ignorance benefits no one.

Rant off

I do agree. Thats the beauty of it all though, put in for a permit, win, then automatically cut a percentage of possible hunters int he field that wont make it.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

338wm, +1 for you.
    The only thing worse than a Subaru is the as*hole who drives it.

I get irritated when I hear "Oh I drew a muskox AND a moose tag"

I'd be happy for one flipping tag. Haven't drawn anything legitimate in 5 years. My old man did get a goat tag this year though.

Oh well.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    I do agree. Thats the beauty of it all though, put in for a permit, win, then automatically cut a percentage of possible hunters int he field that wont make it.
    Yep, there's some truth to that. I've already read a number of folks inquire about a permit that I have and another that my wife has who will likely end up not going because of the logistical realities of those hunts. Less competition is never a bad thing.

Still, I understand the frustrations expressed by the original post. It is certainly ideal if folks can do their basic research first in order to at least make sure the hunt is doable. Personally, I don't apply for the Unit 20 moose hunts because I don't know the area and access points, Unit 8 goats because I am not willing to spend the money for a fly-out right now, or any musk-ox hunts because I know I just don't have the time during the school year. I play the odds by putting in for higher percentage tags, but only if I know I can at least get afield in a reasonable manner.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Yep, there's some truth to that. I've already read a number of folks inquire about a permit that I have and another that my wife has who will likely end up not going because of the logistical realities of those hunts. Less competition is never a bad thing.

Still, I understand the frustrations expressed by the original post. It is certainly ideal if folks can do their basic research first in order to at least make sure the hunt is doable. Personally, I don't apply for the Unit 20 moose hunts because I don't know the area and access points, Unit 8 goats because I am not willing to spend the money for a fly-out right now, or any musk-ox hunts because I know I just don't have the time during the school year. I play the odds by putting in for higher percentage tags, but only if I know I can at least get afield in a reasonable manner.

LOL brian... how come i can guess what hunts?

Unit 20 is huge and SO many folks look at the Highway on three sides of it and get all drooly and stuff.... never mind the fact that it is ONE of the hardest to access units for the road hunter. and the FEW access points are So very crowded you need some real stamina to hunt there... i hunted 23 of a 25 day season for moose there last year before getting mine.. my buddy was 1/2 hour before dark the last day... we live there we can spend the time there.. and come home as needed... I know the area and the unit... there are only 2 moose hunts i will apply for... the rest are well beyond my reach even...

But i wish i had your wifes tag that IS one of my favorites!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Yep game is everywhere almost.Sheep or goats on a ridge one day may well be miles away another. If one was to sit in the middle of downtown Anchorage long enough I'm sure they would see a bear or moose and the closer you get to the edge of town the better your chances.Bou have travled the same areas for a hundred years. It seams hunting and observing your game to learn how it acts and takeing it are things of the past.Now days its if I can get with-in five hundred yards and see it I'll bust it right now.I have no problem with how folks get to where they are hunting,plane,boat ect just on what they now call a sucessfull hunt.

I think they know way more than they disclose.......I get a lot of PM's about hunts in this area. Because I am old and mostly done hunting, other than what is foolish enough to walk onto the farm, and the dozer can pack to the barn, I try to help other hunters. But it is interesting, that after my first response, they send a second and third PM, and slowly leak their knowledge of the area. Most are looking for that edge, that one little piece of information, they might be missing. And let's face it it is fun to talk about the coming adventure, it is a way to double the joy.

I have a tag to fill around FBX. If anyone does any fly-over's between now and the opener, I would appreciate some coordinates of the moose. I don.t need a wall hanger, I just want meat. Please don't make me hike over 1 mile from the road, boat or trail.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default This is for out of towner's only!!!!

any one that live in the Fairbanks area already knows this site well...

but with the NEW cow tags in the Fairbanks Management area....

there is ONE place near town that the cows all congregate and it is not that much of a walk....

a short drive out chena hotsprings road... and you will see.......

remeber though 99% of the land is private owned and you may need permission...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    any one that live in the Fairbanks area already knows this site well...

but with the NEW cow tags in the Fairbanks Management area....

there is ONE place near town that the cows all congregate and it is not that much of a walk....

a short drive out chena hotsprings road... and you will see.......

remeber though 99% of the land is private owned and you may need permission...
    Whoa..Whoa weee whoaaaaa...hold the phone...Thats sensitive information, Sir. LOL You just ruined someone hunt. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Exclamation PLEASE people do your research BEFORE you APPLY @##

HOW ABOUT THE FACT that maybe "u have hunted a area for years"...along comes this permit thing and now your in back of the line with everyone else waiting on your turn!!!
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Default 338 wm

I would go back to the areas that are open that you hunted when you were young off of the Nabesna highway. I have heard that the caribou are starting to come back and that area generally doesn't have the crowds that others areas have due to Parkies.

There are tons of options for those without drawing permits. I know the biggest thing to think about is resource development finding a microhabitat with big critters and then working it without telling people about it. You have to figure out your technology and your access system but there is always something to hunt in Alaska if it is just black bears.

I have thought about hunting grizzlies off of the Taylor highway even if it would be tough. Just because everybody would smile because you are providing a community service.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Talking "there's no crying in baseball"

-the regulations specifically require you to be completely familiar with any permit area you apply for.
    -also it's illegal to place your bets by sending more money to adf$g for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choices for your spouses and each of your kids.
    -clearly posey sniffers are successfully prevented from applying to box hunters out of bambi kills.
    -game biologists plan for 100% success for all draws won.
    -finally, all personal calendars will not change. no losing or changing jobs, nor death/sickness in families can happen if you apply for permits. money is a comfortable constant

all sarcastic, but that's what this sounds like to me. i suggest going to "general harvest" hunts. maybe snowshoe hare season, as there is no draw, harvest ticket requirement, quota, or sealing process...yet.

if i sound like i'm not on your side of the fence, i'm no big permit winner. i just drew my 1st tag in more than a decade of permit applications. it's across the river from where i live. everyone was allowed to apply for it.
    congrats to all the winners and keep using this forum for it's intent of asking questions and getting support.

Thumbs down

Seems to me, that the smart guy would spend his time researching the General Hunt options for the most part and plan his hunts accordingly. Then and only then, if he is one of the lucky few to get a permit, then explore the possiblilities and options. A guy could spend his entire lifetime researching the Delta Bison Hunt and never get drawn. What a waste of time that would have been. Researching a hunt area on the off chance you will get a permit, is foolish.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    A guy could spend his entire lifetime researching the Delta Bison Hunt and never get drawn. What a waste of time that would have been. Researching a hunt area on the off chance you will get a permit, is foolish.
    I don't think folks are expecting thorough research to be done prior to applying for a hunt, but basic research as far as feasibility of access, time, and cost necessities.

Doing research before applying is kinda like telling people to think before they speak or act...we all see how well that works.

Some of you are missing the boat on my post here, I am not going to single anyone out nor am I going to single out any of the posts I was referring to originally.

I am not complaining because I did not win a permit this year.I have general season areas to hunt and I enjoy it.

Applying for a permit without understanding the logistics involved to make it happen, is irresponsible.

If one cannot put forth the effort to at least determine whether or not they have a legit chance to access the hunt area and give it a go, one should not apply for the permit. There are too many others out there with ability and determination losing to a charade.

That is as simple as I can state it .

Default B.S.

I think most of the post is B.S. How many people know the DCU or Tok area prior to applying for it, i know I did not, but had a good unsuccessful hunt. Fish and game takes into consideration how many people dont hunt into the amount of permits they issue. If they only issued permits to people that only actually hunted there would be alot less permits. Half of the fun is getting in shape, planning and researching the hunt, getting the letters in the mail and sharing the information. I have made a few good friends from the site, mainly because they were willing to share or trade information(DCU, Kodiak). If the area's only accessible by aircraft where only allowed to be hunted by people prepared for the hunt, no one without their own aircraft would be able to apply for the hunt. This is the first time in the last dozen years I have not applied for any hunts. Only because I'm going to get in my plane and go for an adventure and hunt. And the more people who don't hunt this year leaves more animals for me next year. We live in the USA and have the freedom to waste $5 anyway we like. Sounds like whining to me or your feel you better than the rest of the people. Again, fish and game takes these into consideration. irresponsible would be wounding a sheep because the took a 900 yard shot, not a cause they did not go, after they found out how hard it was going to be, or should unprepared people go and die or call the Air National Guard to pick them up and waste our resources.

I kinda thought folks came to these boards to learn such things as hunting requires....areas, methods,tools, experiances and the like....Sharing storys and photos, so others can gain knowlage or at least a good laugh.

Maby I'm wrong....... I've been wrong before.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast