Thread: New & Improved SPOT Messenger

Default New & Improved SPOT Messenger

Thought people may be interested in this. I have seen the previous model in action. This look to just be sweetening the deal. Can't send custom texts yet, but apparently send more custom messages.

There is a quick description from the website:

The new SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger™ is 30% smaller and lighter than the original SPOT Satellite personal tracker, offers additional custom messaging modes, and uses a state-of-the-art GPS chipset and satellite communications to provide enhanced reliability and performance. SPOT LLC is showcasing its line of products and services this week at the Outdoor Retailer Summer Market Conference in booth number 36191 at the Salt Palace Convention Center in Salt Lake City, Utah.
    A detailed article on the new SPOT Messenger:

http://hardcoreoutdoor.com/2009/07/2...eneration.aspx

You've got to be *@$*$* kidding me. I just bought a SPOT two days ago.

Oh well, it'll still work...but smaller, more reliable, and more messages sounds great. If only they had an upgrade swap program.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post

Oh well, it'll still work...but smaller, more reliable, and more messages sounds great. If only they had an upgrade swap program.
    Hey, watch that language this is a family friendly site.

Default +1

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post

I am in the same boat and activated mine. I can't believe that there isn't anything on their web site. I just called and raised cain about it and was told that they still don't have a release date for it except sometime this fall I was also told that they don't have any idea if there will be some kind of upgrade exchange program or not!! Maybe if enough people call and they might put something in the works for us.

Like it. Being an avid SPOT "G1" user, I'll probably upgrade to the new one at some point (after it proves itself). That's the thing about electronic gizmos. They are constantly changing them. Heck, I own 4 different handheld GPS receivers. The older ones still work, but the newer ones have features that are better, so you eventually buy a new one and the old one gets tossed into the "reserve" equipment bag. You can't get any money for the old stuff once it's obsolete and it still works so you don't want to throw it away... Quite a racket they have going, isn't it?
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I sent them an email shortly after they released the original spot listing my concerns with their system. Of the list i sent them that was "forwarded to their product development dept" they addressed all of the major points with this new unit covering the 911, an additional message button and the "sent message confirmation" being the biggies! i would still like to see a text interface but I think the functionality is now there to jump on the Spot bandwagon! Brian no worries I will let you check mine out when I get it <grin>

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I sent them an email shortly after they released the original spot listing my concerns with their system. Of the list i sent them that was "forwarded to their product development dept" they addressed all of the major points with this new unit covering the 911, an additional message button and the "sent message confirmation" being the biggies! i would still like to see a text interface but I think the functionality is now there to jump on the Spot bandwagon! Brian no worries I will let you check mine out when I get it <grin>

you know i did the same thing.....

they told me my spot messenger would be a guy on a bike with a spotting scope....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

OH NO! I found a MAJOR problem with this that will be VERY expensive... I only own 1 GPS!!! If I send the "come help me" message to my wife with the coordinates she will have NO WAY to track me down

I guess the only logical thing to do is purchase ANOTHER gps. That way I can leave my 60CSX home w/ her and take out a brand new Garmin Oregon 550T... Of all the rotten luck...

I like the way you think!
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!