Thread: Camera selection help

Default Camera selection help

I'll be the first to admit that I don't know much about cameras so bear with me.

To give you a better idea of where I am coming from.... the camera is for my mom. She has some pretty good non-digital cameras but wants to "upgrade" to a digital. I'm also not too worried about price but would like to keep it under $1000.

We are going on a trip up to Ketchikan for Labor Day weekend to go fishing (so I need a good camera that can take high quality outside pics with the option to get real close through the lens--high MP's and solid amount of zoom). She wants to get it before the trip so she can practice with it and all of that stuff. Completely understandable. She wants a camera that has great picture quality and can "zoom in real far". (she is good with cameras and the lingo but I think she dumbs it down for us so we don't stand their and nod and smile every now and then.) I was looking at the EOS Rebel T1i (Canon) and the D5000 (Nikon). The D90 is getting a little steep, price wise, for my taste and the D60 has a couple less MP than the 5000. I don't even know if those are my best options for those 2 specifics she mentioned but she specifically mentioned both Nikon and Canon so that's why I was focusing my search to that area. Also...if you recommend a camera to me, maybe throw me a bone with an additional lens rec too?

I assume the "zooming in real far" part comes with the lenses. OTOH, I have also seen fantastic reviews of the T1i (looking at this one instead of the Xsi due to less complaints about the T1i and if I'm going to spend that much cash on a camera I want them to be happy with it ...aka not have to worry about it being noisy, quality, and dim LCD). The only main issue I've seen from those is a short battery life. Either way, buy an extra battery and you don't have that problem.
    I believe she was planning on blowing the pics up and framing them (so I guess that's where the quality/detail comes in).

Anybody have any experience with those 2 cameras above or would you recommend another camera that is on the same level as those?

Default Advice

Give the wife $1500 and tell her to buy which ever one she likes. Stay out of her way. Go fishing for the day. And never say, "I told you so."

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by AKbarehunter View Post
    Give the wife $1500 and tell her to buy which ever one she likes. Stay out of her way. Go fishing for the day. And never say, "I told you so."
    Other than give it to "mom" instead of "wife", this is absolutelty the right thing to do!

If you really aren't too worried about price, kick it up a couple hundred bucks too, because the distinction between "under $1000" and "under $1200" is significant. Another significant jump is to $1500, and if Mom knows something about cameras, she may just want to toss in a few nickels and go for it!

There are real differences between all of these cameras, and that is also even more so true of the potential lenses you might be interested in purchasing. Getting the wrong combination is just a $1000 mistake. If Mom picks the one that suits her, that $1000 might be the nicest enabler you could possibly hand her!

Living @ the Top of the World in Barrow Alaska

For a mere $500 dollars you can purchase a PANASONIC camera that will surely amaze you !!

The zoom lens has all the zoom you could possibly want and more!!

From 35mm wide angle to an amazing 420 mm zoom all in one compact lens!

Nobody on this planet creates a better lens than LEICA. That is undisputed for over 75 years.

My professional advice (of over 40 years) in this business.. .. .. purchase the LUMIX by Panasonic.. WHY ?

Because now you have 500 - 1000 left over.. for paper and ink !!

I print huge photographs much larger than the normal 13 x 19 images most people use. 17 x 25" and even much larger than that. (44" wide by any length)

I guarantee you beyond any doubt, you will never regret purchasing this fine outstanding camera.

use the money you saved, for lots of ink and paper, after all, that is the purpose.. to create & print images !!

I have had mine now for almost 4 years.

For what it is worth - THAT IMAGE is NOT a photograph !! I drew that camera in a program called 3D studio Max !! Just by using simple shapes and textures I can create something that looks truely photo-realistic!!

GOOD LUCK ! "Make the wise choice" !! & save some valuable money for much more important items ( ink & paper) that's where and how you make money in this business.. !! OUTSTANDING PRINTS !!

Which Lumix model did you post?

which model did I post. ???

DMC FZ-50 it says the model number on the 'drawing' I posted !!

Quote Originally Posted by Majik Imaje View Post
    which model did I post. ???

DMC FZ-50 it says the model number on the 'drawing' I posted !!
    Got it.

Thanks!

Photography has been my passion now for nearly 4 decades!

Oct. of 69 is when I first got hit bad by the 'bug'. I just had to learn this.

The 'darkroom' part is what grabbed me and would't let go. This was a different world in which the creation process was extremely technical

But, Photography is about creating images of stuff you can actually SEE!

3D Studio Max.. .. allows you to create PHOTO-REALISTIC drawings or (renderings) of ANYTHING you can IMAGINE !!

EXPLORE the truely amazing wonderful world Max has to offer !!

I will now return you to the subject of this thread !!

Default thanks

thank you all for the advice that is listed on this thread. I'm going to take what has been posted here and present it to her and let her choose. It takes the element of surprise out of it (and part of the fun) but I want her to be able to pick out the camera that she wants. I don't want to make that $1000 mistake like Floyd mentioned below.

Keep throwing out suggestions and I'll keep presenting

Majik,

Do you honestly believe the Lumix digital zoom is equal to a professional grade optical zoom? You say Leica is the best and I won't argue, but with the camera you're touting the Leica is a fixed length lens and the zoom is digital. Isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    the Leica is a fixed length lens and the zoom is digital. Isn't it?
    No, the lens is a zoom, and is pretty good for a "superzoom".

But the lens is nothing close to the Nikon 18-200mm superzoom from Nikon (reputedly the best of the brand name superzooms), and even that lens is not regarded as up to professional quality.

Otherwise, the FZ-50 is pretty good for an older P&S, but in many many ways is not the equal to an entry level DSLR, never mind comparing it to a pro model. For example, the images are excessively noisy (with visible noise even at ISO 100) and ISO settings above 400 are not useful. The maximum frame rate for continuous shooting is 2 fps, the number of images that can be shot in burst mode is small, and the dynamic range (like all P&S cameras with small sensors) is limited.

Any entry level DSLR from Canon or Nikon will do two things: take better pictures and cost more.

For a P&S targeted at the mid-level snapshooter, the FZ-50 is a very good value. It leaves a great deal to be desired for an advanced amateur, and isn't even in the running for professional photography.

Thanks for the response. By looking at your picture I assumed it was a DSLR. I'd like to see that lens in person. I didn't get how they could get that kind of zoom from that small a package unless it's digital. But then I googled it and see that the lens isn't as small as I first thought.
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_...onic_fz50.html

I'll leave your personal dispute for you two to settle.

I'll agree that good pictures can come from point-and-shoot cameras. I've taken some great shots using my Sony pocket camera with it's Zeiss lens. But that camera can't hold a candle to my Nikon DSLR. Not even close. Because it fits into my shirt pocket it's easier to take. There's a place for both.

The original poster, wants to purchase a camera within his budget!

My advice is save money and use it for paper and ink - THIS IS A WISE CHOICE.

what good is it to have a professional high end DSLR when the operator doesn't even know how to use it ??????????? I have provided undisputable proof.

A photo is worth a thousand words OR -

A PHOTO IS MUCH BETTER than some explanations that are not even TRUE!!
    Last edited by Brian M; 07-27-2009 at 19:55. Reason: negative personal comments

I've had great luck with the Olympus Evolt series of DSLRs. I just gave my wife an E-520 that I used on my trip to Alaska last year. I think the price with two kit lenses was in the $600-$700 range. I've since moved up to an Olympus E-3. As far as lenses are concerned Olympus is a bit different than other manufacturers because the image stabilization is in the camera body, not the lenses. I have a Sigma 50-500mm lens that I've shot handheld on a cruise ship on the Inside Passage. Most of the resulting photos were questionable but at least they were in focus. Sorry to add to your list of choices...