Thread: OMC Outdrive conversion

Default OMC Outdrive conversion

I think that I know the answer to this one - but am looking for any input.

I inherrited a very old 22 foot fiberglass boat - in the early 1970's era. The boat is in excellent condition, interior is almost as new and has been remodeled with downriggers, expensive trolling motor, stereo, CB, etc. The boat has a chevy 350 motor that is high horsepower with roller rockers etc (I helped put the motor together and it is pushing somewhere in the 350-400 hp range).

The big/huge issue with this boat is that it has an OMC outdrive on it. He had a custom built drive shaft made for it because he kept snapping the stock one...still though - this is not something that I would even consider trusting on the salt.

Is there any feasible way to have the OMC changed to an alpha drive - I believe that the whole back of the boat would have to be re-built. What would the cost of a rear-end re-build cost?

Should I just pull the motor and scrap the ole gal or give her a final shot at a few fishing trips??

Personally I would look to a Volvo 280, even used it`s stronger than Mercruiser stuff. All parts should be available on Marine Parts Express for the conversion. If you like the boat enough it`s doable.

Another option is to sell the motor, but a used big 2-stroke and make an extended transom for it and enjoy all the new deck space and fish well that you`ve created.

Default issue would be cost

has anyone ever done this or paid someone to do it for them??? I have thrown down some fiberglass on vehicles before - but this would need to actually float and stay floating when I get done.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I think that I know the answer to this one - but am looking for any input.

I inherrited a very old 22 foot fiberglass boat - in the early 1970's era. The boat is in excellent condition, interior is almost as new and has been remodeled with downriggers, expensive trolling motor, stereo, CB, etc. The boat has a chevy 350 motor that is high horsepower with roller rockers etc (I helped put the motor together and it is pushing somewhere in the 350-400 hp range).

The big/huge issue with this boat is that it has an OMC outdrive on it. He had a custom built drive shaft made for it because he kept snapping the stock one...still though - this is not something that I would even consider trusting on the salt.

Is there any feasible way to have the OMC changed to an alpha drive - I believe that the whole back of the boat would have to be re-built. What would the cost of a rear-end re-build cost?

Should I just pull the motor and scrap the ole gal or give her a final shot at a few fishing trips??
    If you are looking at Merc then look at the Bravo drive. A Bravo I or better a Bravo III will be more then enough for your engine.

The 280 would also be a good choice.

See Odie at Odie's Marine he can give you some good insight. I think one of the above conversions may actually be a little larger then your current drive or may use the same hole, I can't remember, he will have the info for you.

There is also a guy out on the Birchwood Loop that works out of his house that I believe does the kind of work you are looking for. I know his name is Tom. I will see about stopping by and getting more info for you.