Thread: Delta Junction or surrounding area day goose hunts

Default Delta Junction or surrounding area day goose hunts

New to the board, did a lot of surfing and searching to try to answer my own questions to no avail.

I plan on doing some moose hunting this year up until the first week of September either on the Tannana or the Salcha river.

I have never duck or goose hunted in Alaska, but have done extensive hunting for waterfowl 15-20 years ago in AR, AL, TX, and LA. I have inherited Ithaca Mag 10 just begging to be taken out of the safe. I have the boat as well (but it doesn't fit in the safe).

I think I would feel the most comfortable getting my feet wet again by trying hunting via a day duck/goose outfitter within 150 miles of the Salcha area. Can anyone provide recommendations and contact info?

I think I need to go to Fish and Game as well, I can't seem to find the bag and possession limits online either merely a summary reg. Hell I am not even sure of the hunting dates although the "hours are listed" I can assume the months above to correspond with Sep etc.. (don't like to assume in Alaska) I imagine there is a more detailed waterfowl pamphlet at F&G.

If there are not any outfitters, can any one provided any suggestion for an area for one to focus on? Like I said I have the boat, and I have plenty of decoys, just have limited time actually can only waterfowl hunt from 8 Sept to 19 Sept and the sad thing is I don't even know if it's waterfowl season in my area.

1. Outfitter?
    2. More Detailed Regs? (season, limits B/P, etc.)?
    3. Area (Minto, Salcha, Tannana)?

Thanks and I apologize if these questions have been answered before, I did make an attempt to locate this information prior to posting a new thread.

TCCC

I don't think they have released this years regs yet. Depending where you are the season opens on Sept 1st, and the daily bag limit depends on where you are. I believe Delta is in the north units so your limit would be 10 per day. Only 1 canvasback per day, and the season opens september 1st. The waterfowl regs on the website also lists the shooting time tables. I have never hunted up there so I couldn't tell you the better places to go. But there is a guy up there that rents out blinds for 75 dollars a day. At least that was what it was in the past. I hear he has awesome goose hunting opportunities if you time it right. There are a few past threads about it here in these forums. Here is the link for the waterfowl regs:

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index...=duckhunt.main

Good luck, I hope your season goes well.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Thanks Duckslayer, I had been to the link you provided weeks ago like I said it's a summary of the regs. But you cleared it up for me I believe in regards to the regs themselves haven't been released and I guess I'll either have to check online periodically or with F&G.

I've done a bit of research since I posted and it's starting to look like Minto Flats is where one would go, again I would much rather prefer a local place like what you mentioned 75 dollars a day in a blind I could drive to or boat to would be ideal. Drawback with Minto Flats always seems to get my tire slashed or windshield broke and truck rifled through...

How long have you been in Alaska?

7 years.. relevance?

Just haven't had the urge to duck or goose hunt so I haven't kept up with it. I can put you in the valley of the bulls, and put you on a bear stand from hell, and take 10-15 martin in the first pick.. but when it comes to ducks and such I'll admit it, I'm currently clueless.

If you are looking for a goose hunt in the delta area you need to get a hold of C&S charters. They have multiple pit blinds on a local farm. Not sure about the contact. They have been guiding for atleast 10yrs. The other guide that rents out the blinds is new to the game and only has one field he hunts so if your not the first hunter your pretty much out of luck.

No relevance really, just curious how many times you had problems at Minto was all.

Thumbs up Inbox

i sent you a PM

AKAir- thanks i will try to locate C&S .

Cutter- Hopefully you haven't incurred the same issues I have by leaving your vehicle and trailer parked at minto, I just leave it unlocked now..

Caribouhunter- responded to your PM thanks for all the info you provided, clears up a lot for me. Thanks for your service and watch your six.