Thread: Salmon sausage & hotdogs

Default Salmon sausage & hotdogs

Just wondering if anyone has ever tried making salmon sausage, you know the type that is stuffed in a casing and smoked in a smoker. If you have before, how did they turn out and what was your recipe and how long did you smoke them for? Thanks

Also seen a show on tv recently where a diner was selling salmon hotdogs, wonder if there is a place in Anch that sells them, anyone know? Seems like it would be a popular summer food item that could be sold on street corners to tourists.

I have had salmon burgers before that were really tasty but have never made them. I have a Fish Alaska magazine at home that has a recipe in it if you want it I can try to find it for you. It used canned smoked salmon and sounded pretty good.

Salmon burgers sound real good, if you find the recipe feel free to post it on this thread. Thanks

My brother in law makes salmon patties all the time. He just takes canned or cooked salmon and flakes it up. then he mixes it with bread crumbs and an egg and thats it. Its kinda similar to making meatballs.

You can make the salmon patties from fresh 2 ways. one is to boil the filet in just enough water to cover the filet, till it flakes. The second is to use a meat grinder with a coarse plate on it and grind the fresh meat, minus skin. Either way mix with enough egg to hold it together and something dry for thickener. The something dry can change depending on what is available, the taste and texture you are looking for. Some things that have worked for me are:
    Flour
    Corn Meal
    Potato Buds
    Bread - not stale just torn into bits
    Bread crumbs
    Corn Flakes
    Cracker Crumbs

Then pan fry till golden brown on both sides. As a way to use zucchinii, you can replace the salmon with zucchini in part or all the way. Just grate the zucchini and press it inot a strainer till most of the moisture is gone. I have made salmon patties with pinks and reds and both were good!
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Nukalpiaq View Post
    Salmon burgers sound real good, if you find the recipe feel free to post it on this thread. Thanks
    Found the recipe in May 2009 issue of Fish Alaska magazine. Havent tried it yet but sounds good. Might have this for lunch today since I just smoked up a bunch of salmon yesterday. Here ya go.

1 can fresh canned salmon
    1 can smoked can salmon
    1 egg
    10 saltine crackers (I think I would prefer Club or Ritz)
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp onion powder
    1 tsp parsley flakes
    1 tsp rosemary
    salt & pepper to taste
    Your favorite cheese

Preparation:
    Pour a small amount of olive oil in a skillet and pre-heat for later use. Break up salmon with a fork in a mixing bowl, crush crackers and mix into salmon.

Beat egg separately and mix in the dry seasonings. Fold into the fish and cracker mixture. Form into patties. In pan where you pre-heated olive oil, gently place patties into hot oil. Sear on each side. Salmon is already precooked so do not overcook in skillet. Melt cheese on top of patties if desired. Garnish as you would your favorite burger.

Let me know how you liked it if you try this recipe. Enjoy!

Just had a salmon burger for a late lunch using the recipe I posted a little while ago and I gotta tell ya, it was Delicious with a capital D!!! I will definately be making these again though I might use my patty press next time just to get a more even patty. All I had for crackers was Chicken in a Biscuit's and they worked really well for a little extra flavor and they didn't overpower the fish flavor at all. Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by selliott97 View Post
    Found the recipe in May 2009 issue of Fish Alaska magazine. Havent tried it yet but sounds good. Might have this for lunch today since I just smoked up a bunch of salmon yesterday. Here ya go.

1 can fresh canned salmon
    1 can smoked can salmon
    1 egg
    10 saltine crackers (I think I would prefer Club or Ritz)
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp onion powder
    1 tsp parsley flakes
    1 tsp rosemary
    salt & pepper to taste
    Your favorite cheese

Preparation:
    Pour a small amount of olive oil in a skillet and pre-heat for later use. Break up salmon with a fork in a mixing bowl, crush crackers and mix into salmon.

Beat egg separately and mix in the dry seasonings. Fold into the fish and cracker mixture. Form into patties. In pan where you pre-heated olive oil, gently place patties into hot oil. Sear on each side. Salmon is already precooked so do not overcook in skillet. Melt cheese on top of patties if desired. Garnish as you would your favorite burger.

Let me know how you liked it if you try this recipe. Enjoy!
    well did a run with 2 pints king.. and they all loved them..

though 2 pints took...

one (regular size row ) crackers

4 eggs, and a few seasoning changes to taste
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here