Thread: Recent Chulitna Trip Reports?

Default Recent Chulitna Trip Reports?

Any recent trip reports (this summer) from the Chulitna? I'm hoping to float this near the end of August from the East Fork to mp 132 or lower. Is the Princess Lodge takeout still available? I viewed the previous threads but looking for recent experiences.

Default Chulitna float

My family and I floated the Chulitna from the East fork to the parks hwy bridge down stream of Talkeetna the 4th of July week end. We had two rafts one 16' and one14'. We had a great float with beautiful weather. The East fork down to the middle fork had plenty of water but there were just enought rocks to keep you busy. The middle fork did not seem to add much water to the river but we started to see lots of kings swimming. The West fork dumps the bulk of the flow into the river and is the most silty river I have ever seen. You could actually hear the silt scrubb against the raft as we floated down. When you leave the canyons behind the river braids out so you want to choose the one with the most water so you dont end up dragging your raft to deeper water. Out on the braids we saw 9 brown bears mostly sows with cubs. The take out at the Princess lodge was open but we chose to float down below Talkeetna. The river braids again just above Talkeetna and there were alot of trees to avoid where the Chulitna dumps into the Susitna. The float down to the bridge is a easy float with not much excitement. Total float time down to the Princess Lodge was 15hrs. Total float time down to the bridge below talkeetna was about 23hrs.

Thanks for the reply. That's just what I needed. Now just to find the time to fit it into the schedule.