Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Help with choosing lures

  1. #1
    New member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4

    Default Help with choosing lures

    So i just came to Alaska and i seem to be having some difficulty in getting any salmon to bite. I use a spinning lure. Tomorrow morning i plan to go to the Kenai, and i was wondering what the best bait would be for the high tide and low tide there.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Member Roland on the River's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,690

    Default Kenai

    Just for your info= the Kenai looks like the Matanuska right now. High and discolored.

  3. #3
    New member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4

    Default

    :S Guess i'll fish at bird creek for now, and go to Kenai later. Any tips on lures for bird creek for low and especially high tide? Yeah, i'm pretty crap at fishing.

  4. #4
    Member TYNMON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Corvallis, Oregon, United States
    Posts
    918

    Default Don't for get some of these!!







    Kodiak Custom Tackle is an essintiol part of any Alaska Tackle box!

  5. #5

    Wink

    For the Humpies at Bird Creek, pick up a few Blue Fox Vibrax, different colors. Number three.

    For the Kenai, you will likely be flossing the Reds, so all you need is a box of good hooks and a piece of yarn, any color, just put a piece on the hook, big enough to snag the hook in the fishes teeth, long enough for you to set the hook.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  6. #6

    Default

    fishing at bird creek is extremely easy, all you need are 3 things: hook, yarn( color doesn't really matter long as its bright from what i can tell), and weight (splitshots, banana sinkers, anything to bring your lure to the fish).

    tie the hook onto the line, weave a strand of yarn into the hook, and then set splitshots like 16 inches up from the hook.

    i fish bird creek exactly like the kenai but the fish actually bite the hook instead of you trying to floss the fishes mouth. the most important part is having enough weight to tap the bottom of the river as your line goes across the current.

    best places to fish at the bird creek are behind large rocks or in deep blue strips where the major current goes through, all the fish seem to congregate there during low tide.

    good luck fishing

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sarasota, Florida
    Posts
    802

    Default Kodaik Custom...

    His lures are just as outrageous as he is!
    Tony Davis does a superior job in manufacturing his quality spinners.
    He's the best...

    Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"


  8. #8
    Member garnede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    soon to be back in Alaska
    Posts
    1,214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chayo234 View Post
    fishing at bird creek is extremely easy, all you need are 3 things: hook, yarn( color doesn't really matter long as its bright from what i can tell), and weight (splitshots, banana sinkers, anything to bring your lure to the fish).

    tie the hook onto the line, weave a strand of yarn into the hook, and then set splitshots like 16 inches up from the hook.

    i fish bird creek exactly like the kenai but the fish actually bite the hook instead of you trying to floss the fishes mouth. the most important part is having enough weight to tap the bottom of the river as your line goes across the current.

    best places to fish at the bird creek are behind large rocks or in deep blue strips where the major current goes through, all the fish seem to congregate there during low tide.

    good luck fishing
    Any time on the Kenai this works, and it works well at low tide at bird. At prety much any store you can find Coho flies. These are made for flyfishing only areas. Set up like above, but replace the hook and yarn with the coho fly. You do not need a fly pole to fish in fly fishing only waters. This is a cheep and effective setup. Also something else that might help is going to either Hope or to the Russian where the water is clear, so you can see what your hook is doing and what the fish are doing. If you never feel your weight tap the bottom add more, if you keep getting snagged, use less, otherwise Fish on!
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

    http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •