Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sandhill crane hunting

Default Sandhill crane hunting

Does anyone have an info they would be willing to share regarding hunting sandhills? My dad will be up the beginning of September and would like to go after a sandhill. Info on how to do a DIY hunt or if anyone knows of and can recommend any guides for this would be appreciated.

Default cranes

well dont know where your looking to hunt them that will help pm me if yourin the fairbanks area.

Default C&S Charters

They are a DIY Outfitter and later in September is when the sandhills are coming through here in Delta.

wykee5, Sent ya a PM

Default C&S Charters

I don't think they opened last year because of the crop? I don't recall. Anyway I did go with C&S a couple years ago. I didn't have any luck as nothing was moving that day, but I had a good time.

Anybody know how it looks for C&S to be open this year?

Thanks.

i know of a spot in fairbanks if you want info pm me and as for c&S charters we went there for an all day hunt and all we shot was 1 crane and seen one lonely lost goose and that was mid sept!
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

900, I sent you a PM.

Post C&S Charter Info

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    Anybody know how it looks for C&S to be open this year?

Thanks.
    BD,
    I p/u a C&S flyer today at Sentry in NP. I've never hunted with them myself but was giving it some thought. I've heard mixed reports that seem to correlate to the timing of the flights. Per the flyer, for reservations call 907-488-2589. It's $75 per person/per day per the flyer and campsites are available.

Default Timing, C&S

If the birds are moving, I think you have an excellent chance at getting some shooting in with C&S. They have nice blinds, and they are well spaced out.

You do have to make reservations. The weekends are more booked than other days of the week.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default hunting the fight path...?

so what does it take to call a crane down...

i have 10,000 a day fly over from 100-500 foot above but none stop in our ponds

also have snows and lessors...

i am thinking this year i may give it a go and try a spread on them... should be new with the dogs... in years past we have just floated the rivers and creeks when we wanted fowl....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default crane calling

The best time for crane hunting is from sunrise to about 2-3 hours after. At the other end of the day, 2-3 hours before sunset to sunset. During those periods, they generally fly quietly and low.

When they are flying high altitude throughout the day, it is my experience all you can do is to watch them. I haven't seen a call for them, so I don't know about calling them.

If you are on the flight path, which it sounds like, that is good. You need to find an open area where they land in the morning and evenings. Set up close to areas with good cover. They have EXCELLENT eye sight, and they divert their path if they see ANYTHING that does not appear natural.

Default about crane

If you hit a crane, but it is only wounded, they will glide for a long way. If you put a dog on them, it will stop the crane from running away. Crane are viscious birds, they hiss very hard at the dog. Fortunately, my dog was smart enough to put the brakes on when the bird started hissing at her.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

yeah hen the weather is nice the are all really high up... but loking like today... rain and gray... above tree line i cna knock the snows out of the sky with a sholve if i try hard enough...( figurativly speaking) we are in a natural bottle neck between two ridges and they all go by just never stop or slow down.. i think this year i may give it a shot... or a few boxes of them...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default careful with the dogs

Like BD said, make sure they are dead before you send the dog for them. I have known a couple people who had their dogs injured from them. The cranes know how to use the long legs as leverage & the sharp bill can inflict a fair amount of damage.
    I would rather shoot them again & not send the dog than have a vet bill for a dumb crane.

Vince, put some white pillow cases out in a big area on some sticks and see what happens. Cranes will light with other birds.

They will need a runway tho. They're not like Mallards.

Default is 1800 feet enough?

you mean like this

there are 4 pongds in this picture.. the lagest being up front..

meet on face book here

Perfect, might want to plant a little barely on that one hill side

carry lite makes a crane call, I think you can get them from cabelas
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I just got to searching, Haydel makes one too.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    I just got to searching, Haydel makes one too.
    Haydel's makes a crane call....but I don't like it. It's too quiet to bring in Cranes. The best way I've found is to use a speck call and flutter your throat/tongue. Faulk's has a little speck wood call...about 2" long that's not great for specks, but it's awesome for a crane call.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast