Thread: Alaska Wilderness Outfitters

Default Alaska Wilderness Outfitters

Thanking about booking one of their cabins next year. Just wanting to get some information from anybody that has used one of their outpost cabins. We are looking at the Prince William Sound cabin. What were the dislikes and the likes of the week you stayed?
    How was the fishing? The food they provide? If you do not want to post send me a pm.
    thanks
    DC

So nobody has used this outfitter???

I am headed to their cabin in Wrangell National Park in a couple of weeks. Hopefully it goes well.

We booked the trip back at the Sportsman show here in Denver in February. They were one of the very few that we could find that would let us go on our own without a 4 star lodge and a guide every day.

Keeping our fingers crossed that it is going to be everything we expect it to be.

I had family use them and had the time of their lives and have raved about them for years and years now. They scheduled late and went when the pinks were running, caught fish until their arms fell off. Caught halibut, I think biggest in the 70-80lb range if I remember correctly. They also caught a ton of other fish in the ocean.

Check back with me in mid-late september, I'll be on a trip with them in late August.

joe_jack, have a good trip!

Default AWO

I have been to their floating cabins for several years. Had a great trip for pinks and chum early july a few years back.

Mostly for silvers in august. Will be there 4th week this year. Every year different, but no dissapointments. Seems later is best, because the return changes.

The food is good, you wont go hungery. If you have fish a couple of times there will be leftovers.

I haven't been at the cabin in sheeps bay. If this is where you go let me hear the results.

Azdreaming

Great, I can hardly wait, I'm feeling better now.

The one we are going to is inland about 60 minutes by air from Cordova. They fly you in, drop you off and then come pick you up again in 6 days. The guy at the sportman show said there were Grayling in the river right by the cabin.

We will see.

joe_jack,

There are a lot of grayling in the lake and the river that runs by the cabin. You won't be disapointed. You might run into a few Lake Trout as well! Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeypeet View Post
    joe_jack,

There are a lot of grayling in the lake and the river that runs by the cabin. You won't be disapointed. You might run into a few Lake Trout as well! Have fun.

If your gonna eat grayling cook them RIGHT AWAY. They go mushy real quick but if eaten within an hour they are one fine eating fish. Wrap them in foil, season to taste, on the fire for a few minutes and you have a white meat bonanza
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Great! Now I'm really ready .... 9 days and counting before we leave!!

Thanks for the response guys. Planning a trip for 2010. I feel like mid to late August would be a good chance to bag some silvers at one of the outpost cabins.
    Good luck on the trips.
    Post up your adventures when you get back to the real world.
    Dc