Thread: Toxophilite

Default Toxophilite

OK thought this might be fun. Without googling it what do you think a Toxophilite is?
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

someone who is scared of or studies toxins?

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Nice guess, here's a hint on July 12 1369 king Edward III enacted a law that required all "strong" men of England to become Toxophilites.

This was 200 years after the Pope and Edward I made the use of the crossbow Illegal.....of course neither monarch stuck by there own law and both hired foreign mercenaries armed with the crossbow.
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Considering you posted under Bowhunting, I would gather it has something to do with bows. Or, you just might be trying to throw us off?
    The only thing worse than a Subaru is the as*hole who drives it.

Your on the right track! What inspired this is my new signature line generated multiple "whats a bowyer" PM's.....from folks who regularly post in this area!
    BHA Member

Another hint on September 19 1356 a force of 6000 Englishmen most of them Toxophilites lead by a 26 year old Edward III slaughtered a french force of 16,000 men under King Jean II. The English lost a knight, one Toxophlilte and a "few" foot soldiers.
    BHA Member

Might this be one with a love of Archery?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Very good TWB your so close I'll have to give it to ya...A Toxophilite is a archer.
    BHA Member

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    Very good TWB your so close I'll have to give it to ya...A Toxophilite is a archer.
    hmmm thats good i was trying to break it down into...

Toxo... phil... it lite

infering a drunk in a lite nudy bar....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

No, no, Vince Phil is already in jail, he has tons of folks working for a parole for him though, I'm sure you've seen the "Free Phil" signs around your neck of the woods.
    BHA Member

I was right this has been fun. Well totally out of glue so it will be hard to finish the bows I'm currently working on without a run to the store. See ya.
    BHA Member

PS It's pronounced more like Toxo flight.....drunken Pilot????
    BHA Member

tox -ophil-ite or better know as toxophilis.

And being you didnt, a bowyer would be one who builds bows.

Rick you need to get your hands on one of the old timers book...Last name is elmer, Robert Elmer. My stuff is packed away, some great reading I think you'll like in there!

He has a few out there if you can find them.

Heck for that matter any of the really old timers stuff is good stuff I think you'll like.

It's amazing to see just how LITTLE we've come in the world of archery including compounds.

Did you know the first solo cam bow is NOT a mathews!

The first release (or clutch as it was known back then) was actually patented back in late EIGHTEEN HUNDREDS!!!!

And many of the tools we use today as arrowsmiths, bowyers, bowhunters and archers have done nothing but change names and to some degree a little bettery machining!!!

Your absolutely right on 2 accounts Tradbow.

It's been a very long time since there was an true innovation in archery. Yes we have been messing around with different woods and materials but little has changed since the stone age. In fact I would argue we have moved backwards. In my research (Admittedly I am no scholar!) the design of the bow peaked about 9,500-10,000 years ago in the holmegaard form. These bows out perform any other Trad design I've ever seen and take the greatest amount of skill to make. Once completed they have no hand shock and draw like butter, note I did not say little hand shock I said none!(well at least under 50 pounds of draw) Recently a elm holmgaard reproduction had an averaged arrow speed of 198fps with a few shots clocked well above 200 fps! Lets see your widow do that and the bow totally lacked glass or epoxy! The existence of the Holmegaard is also my main basis for arguing the bow has been around for at least 20,000 years when the oldest direct evidence is half that age. Replaceable bladed broad heads have also been around for over 8,000 years and eye surgeons still use obsidian blades. Anyone who things folks of the stone age where "primitive" or somehow less intelligent than modern man should spend a few minutes with a flint napper!

Thing is we seem to have gotten lazy and forgotten the oldest designs. The medieval English long bow that gave Britain military superiority for over 200 years is frankly a terrible design. It is more the skill of the archers and the enormous draw weights that made the English longbow a weapon of legend. (the average draw weight of the 100+ longbows recovered from the wreck of the marry rose was 98lbs with some examples as high as 150lbs and none less than 95lbs.) Even the Health Mere Bow was a better design and it was just a board with a thick spot for a handle compared to the Holmegaard or Stellmoor bows. BTW Henry the VIII commanded over the last battle where archery was the deciding factor, nearly 100 years after the first firearms started to appear on the battle field.

The other point you've nailed is simple, I do love reading old, very old books. So far most of my reading pre 1900 has been on fly fishing, but I'm looking forward to reading the older works on archery with great enthusiasm. Is Robert Elmer the 16th century teacher that advocated all English schools should teach archery? There was a book I came across in my research to that effect, unfortunately I can't remember the authors name.

BTW there are examples of asian release's dating back around 5,000 years! Definately not a new idea
    BHA Member

I learned that word about 17 years ago from Fletchers at one of my first 1on1's with a bow. One of these days I will get back into it.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

no, this elmer is the newer early to mid 1900's.

I wish I had everything out..I have a ton of books, some old, some hard to finds.