Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moose hunt of a lifetime

Default Moose hunt of a lifetime

You're going general season moose hunting in Alaska. You're only doing it once because it gets in the way of sheep season and you'd like 1) a big bull, and (secondary), 2) any legal animal.

Where would you go, and how would you hunt?

I wouldn't - I'd go sheep hunting again.

Default I Have Been hunting this area for years-Moose everywhere

Go up North just past the river, stay in the left lane, but before you get to the mountain, get in the right lane- this turns into a gravel road and parallels the smaller stream that leads to some swampy areas (dont stop here) the gravel road re-joins the pavement and continues for 76 miles to an area of a series of streams (I have never seen Moose in this area-nor have I seen any tracks or scat) at mile 77 the road bends left and you will see a no tresspassing sign-this is the trail you take for 18 miles to a great lookout knoll (dont stop here) after the terrain flattens out, continue up the small series of foothills to a very large-deep glacial river (cross here) and continue up the gentle slope to a shear cliff that extend up about 2,000 feet (winch up this face and you will see many meese) GPS LAT/LONG is N64.00 by W169.50

Hit the Yukon and head west, by boat.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default Selawik River

You could wait and get pulled for three day slough. The Koyukuk during the first three weeks in September is truly a magical place and the Koyukuk is such a beautiful river. You could hire Charlie Green and get a zodiak with 15hp jet prop and work the upper reaches of the slough and then work the Kateel river and call and I can tell you that you will suffer from an itchy finger as 50+ bulls come in large numbers. 70 inchers are shot up there every year and get their horns cut.
    However, If I were you and I wanted a for sure really big bull moose then I would set up a charter from Dave Rue at Ambler Air and get dropped off on the upper end of the Selawik river during the second through last week in September. I would float the whole Selawik river and hunt the banks. You would probably get caribou, you would get a big moose and then you probably would get a grizzly as well. You would float out to Selawik and have Frontier fly everything back into Fairbanks.

Dave could do the Noatak River as well but many do that float and I will never forget some of the huge moose that Scott, who is Dave's pilot and mechanic showed me in this area. I don't think anybody has ever hunted them because locals prefer caribou to moose for palate reasons.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

I'd go sheep huntin' instead too...although... good tactics on gettin' info.

Default An old wise hunter once said....

put me down where you haven't seen tracks...I'd rather be where they are coming to, rather then where they've been......
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

I would go to Maine

Were consittering catching a nice fat 2 year old Bull this early September, as the wife and a friend want to smoke a bunch up.
    Kobuk river for me.
    Kabuko has a good idea.
    I havent hunted Moose on the Selawik, but I hunted the 96 Spring Break up there and filled the boat with Beaver and Muskrats.
    Saw oodles of stranded/highground Moose during that flood.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Are you sure Dave Rue is still in biz?
    SUPPOSEDLY......................unit 23 moose are down..........or so says ADF&G. But Kaboku's idea isn't too bad.
    You might be able to get into the Selawik from Bettles, or just do the upper Kobuk. Bears, both kind, maybe bou, and moose.
    Unit 18 also has good moose numbers and a long season.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

yakatat...dillingham...kotz...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Steve View Post
    You're going general season moose hunting in Alaska. You're only doing it once because it gets in the way of sheep season and you'd like 1) a big bull, and (secondary), 2) any legal animal.

Where would you go, and how would you hunt?

Steve i really hate the be the barer of bad news.......

once in a life time moose hunt?

Moose are a figment of imagination.... created by the KIWANIS"S club to increase tourism in AK
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Cordova......
    I ♥ Big Sheep

TeeTotal different seasons. But I like to hunt sheep for a primer and get the legs loosened up a mite and then squeeze in a moose hunt as well, after the caribou are put away. Best off hunting the Koyukuk, Three Day Slough, Dolbie and Dime. Hit 'em all in about ten days, with a good boat. But I will warn ya, it is as addicting as coke, so it likely won't be a one time deal.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Yeah you need to rework your seasons! Predators Oct-April, Bou in April, Bear in May/June, Fish and sheep scouting June/July, Sheep early August, Moose late Aug/Sept then start it all over again. GOD I LOVE AK!

Default AKres...

Not gonna ask how you know how addictive coke is, but who needs it when you can hunt in Alaska!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by c04hoosier View Post
    Not gonna ask how you know how addictive coke is, but who needs it when you can hunt in Alaska!
    If one doesn't know this fact from all the talk and discussion about it, well.....perhaps one should get more active on the internet. But I agree, hunting in AK is all one really needs for a fix.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

I am very active on the internet. I'm on the forum all the time!!

Default Dual role...

I'm doing BOTH. Sheep 1st, followed up by a nice trophy moose hunt up north. My wife is ok with it thus far, that is till I start dropping some coin, then she'll speak up I'm sure!
    Respect what you do not own but are privleged to enjoy, Mother Earth thanks you...

Quote Originally Posted by Montana Native View Post
    I'm doing BOTH. Sheep 1st, followed up by a nice trophy moose hunt up north. My wife is ok with it thus far, that is till I start dropping some coin, then she'll speak up I'm sure!
    Yeah..my ole lady says "Hey, I am in full support of you goin out hunting, so if you need something get it done, because I want you to come home safe"

Code has been cracked, translates into:

"You better kill something in order to justify all that money, because I could have gotten some new jewelry"
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast