Thread: Grayling close to Anchorage?

Default Grayling close to Anchorage?

My wife and I are looking for a nearby place to take the kids grayling fishing. An overnight trip is fine, but close enough we spend more time at the place than driving.

Another problem is that I tore my calf muscle playing with the kids at cub scout camp and will not be up for long hikes any time soon.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

If you have access to a canoe, then Beech Lake in chugiak might be an option. I hear the fish are considerably smaller than in the lakes you have to hike to. I have never done well near the access point.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/State...ail/LakeID/286
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

canoe lake across from the fair grounds...has nice size grayling and only a 50 foot walk. it is better from a small boat but there are grayling from the acess to the lake. also has outhouse there.

Quote Originally Posted by akfun View Post
    canoe lake across from the fair grounds...has nice size grayling and only a 50 foot walk. it is better from a small boat but there are grayling from the acess to the lake. also has outhouse there.
    Just for clarification, Canoe lake (over near Kepler Bradley area) is about 3 miles shy of being across the street from the fairgrounds. It's more across the street from the gravel pits. There's a bank of mailboxes on the left side of the road if you're driving into palmer, then a right turn and then a left turn. There's fish signs showing the way.

beach lake used to be pretty good query the fish count database
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Seventeen Mile Lake near Sutton used to be a great Grayling fishery. Things have changed a lot up there in the last ten years or so, though, so I'm not sure if it still is. I think I read somewhere that F&G now stock it with bows or something, but it may be worth looking into.

Also Bonnie Lakes up the highway even further used to be good from a canoe for both grayling and trout.

Default canoe lake

Done well on canoe lake on my one man raft for grayling. Seems like I had more success on the end opposite the public launch.

"I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
    The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

Quote Originally Posted by akfun View Post
    I went out there a few days ago. The trail is really overgrown, but manageable. And the ending spot is pretty cramped, with lots of bugs. Definitely would recommend a raft.