Thread: Kenai boat dipnetting wednesday was a zoo

Default Kenai boat dipnetting wednesday was a zoo

Wife and I decided to take a day off in mid-week (avoid the crowds) to go down and dipnet from the boat for the first time. Interesting experience, dont know if I'll do it again, for one thing I'm NEVER taking my wife boat dipnetting again....

Launched at a -5ft low tide, it was the lowest tide of the year according to one of the people on the dock. I hit the sandbar in 1.3 feet of water and slightly boogered up my prop, which is actually okay since I'm underpropped and was planning on changing it out anyway. Fishfinder died last weekend and the water was like grey paint so I couldnt tell where the bottom was.

Nice dock, the sheer number of boats mid-week surprised me, at any one time I had 4 to 5 boats within 50 feet of me. It was like playing bumpercar dodgem with boats - kinda of nervewracking in a current. Dont know if thats usual or not.

It took me about an hour to figure out what/where/how to dipnet from a boat, neither of us had ever dipnetted at all.
    Once we got that straightened out we had 3 hours of dipnetting time, of that we only actually had the net in the water for about 1.5 hours, if that.

Wife couldnt keep the net in the water for more than 10 mins before her arms would give out; too much torque from the water flowing by - even with the net tied to the boat, I figured out that tieing the net at the midpoint of both sides removed the torque, at 3 PM about an hour before we had to leave (because she didnt bring her pills) she was able to drive the boat okay (current slacked off) and I could keep the net in the water, we caught two fish lost a third from a hole in the rented net (MWR) and then on the fourth the pole bent when I went to lever the net up.

If there is a next time I'm making my own net. One with a much stronger pole.

Dont know if this is in the correct forum, I apologize if it's not.

Smile Use Rope on Nets

When dipping from the boat, tie a rope from the bow cleat to the neck of your net. When you dip it in the water, the rope will carry the load. Hope this helps.

Doug
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

It's also much easier if you drag two nets. One off either side. Dragging one net in my Zodiac wipes me out quick, but when I get somebody on the other side I can easily hold the net with one hand.

Buy a net from Mikes Welding in Sterling. Get the 50" hoop for boat dipping, and the 8' handle, and small size mesh so fish won't gill themselves. From the beach they use the 60" hoop, long handle and mesh size that will gill them because they have a tougher time holding on to the fish they get.

Dip from the shore. You'll save gas not having to tow your boat all the way down, and back. You'll save time, aren't waiting in line to launch and retrieve, and you'll still get plenty of fish. Your wife can help clean fish on a sandy beach vs. getting sick on a boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Dip from the shore. You'll save gas not having to tow your boat all the way down, and back. You'll save time, aren't waiting in line to launch and retrieve, and you'll still get plenty of fish. Your wife can help clean fish on a sandy beach vs. getting sick on a boat.
    You know, I used to think that boat dipping was the way to go. I've boat dipped twice, and shore dipped three times now. I think I'll stick to the shore for the most part from now on. The only major advantages to the boat are that you don't have to drag your gear across the beach and that you have a better chance of catching a king. I've never caught a king from the beach, but I sure have caught a lot of fish. It might be marginally faster to fill a permit from a boat, but I sure didn't have a hard time filling my limit in just a few hours from the beach this year. I also like the beach environment, particularly for kids. It was awesome being able to let my boy play in the sand while we worked on pulling in the fish. To each their own, though - there certainly is something fun about joining the line of boats as well.

Default 2nd the back to beach

I started on the beach, discovered that the boat was cleaner and a bit easier. Now that the boat fishing has reached its current level of popularity, I've gone back to the beach.

If the fish are there, the beach can be just as productive. I don't feel like I'm going to get run into or worse. Just for the record if you thought Wed. was bad definitely avoid the weekend. There were over 5x as many boats in the fishery on Saturday compared to Tuesday - not sure what the count was on Wed.

don't lever the fish outa the water, pull straight up on the net, save the pole from bending and make it easier to retrieve fish.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Saturday was the first time to dip the kenai, I wonder how many boats were on there 500, I know as the day went it got a bit less crazy first thing in the morning was something else
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

saturday was a sight to be seen for sure....pretty nutty down low but fun in its own way....I think I had the worst handling boat on the water...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    saturday was a sight to be seen for sure....pretty nutty down low but fun in its own way....I think I had the worst handling boat on the water...
    What were you drivin?

We had a friend come down who attempted to net with a 10ft zodiac, 1 net..he did circles in the water even with a bucket hanging on the other side LOL.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    What were you drivin?
    I had my fathers old '91 Jetcraft with very stiff cables....350 chevy and an AT pump......it got the job done but I definitely had both hands working to keep 'er under control...lol...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Thumbs up

We also were there on Wed & Thurs - you are right, there were a zillion boats on Wednesday. We didn't do to bad - 41 Reds + 1 King.

Some results:

Friday, slow, pulle din 27 reds.
    Saturday we were all not feeling tooo well , so I filetted and vacuum packed 27 fish.
    Sunday was fabulous. 72 reds in 1.5 hours.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by killer instinct View Post
    We also were there on Wed & Thurs - you are right, there were a zillion boats on Wednesday. We didn't do to bad - 41 Reds + 1 King.

Some results:

You might tell your dog that's not the proper way to clean fish, although it probably helped to de-slime them before being filleted.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.