Thread: How Long to Salt

Default How Long to Salt

I know this issue has been discussed at length, but haven't seen this specific question addressed. Although there are many variables, on average how long can one go before salting a sheep or other cape? If it's dry and in the 50's or 60's, does the cape need salted within 24 hours, or what kind of time frame?
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Default yes

If your going on a extended hunt in Aug for sheep, I would suggest that you learn how to properly care for the cape.. Turning the ears, spliting the lips, splitting the nose. etc.. and the blood out from a white sheep.. 2-4 lbs is all you need to adequetly salt one.. 4 lbs is worth its weight in gold if it means saving or losing a sheep hide..

there are always too many variables....but i would say no more than three days......keep it from getting air directly on the skin....i would take the salt though.....if it is dry and in the 50s or 60s....then you can clean the blood out and snap it until dry then turn the ears lips and nose and do a pretty good job fleshing then salt it down good then let it get air....the salt will pull fluids out of the skin and if you have time to let it get pretty dry...your cape will be nice and light and easy to throw on top of your pack
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

I took a nice grizz last year and kept the hide for 2 weeks on the river. Flesh it out good, salt it, and spread it out over the raft to air dry during the day, it came out nice. Made a horrible mistake this year with one of my black bears. Shot it drove home skinned it "did not flesh it" salted it and threw it in the freezer. Thought I would turn it in to my taxidermist when I got around to it and let him do the work... Bad call. Salted un-fleshed hide does not freeze. Little did I know my hide was slipping in my freezer cause of the salt and my laziness. Hard lesson to learn. Bottom line is if you salt it make sure it is fleshed good first then turn it in as soon as you get home, or don't salt it if you are going to freeze it. I have taken som nice grizz early in extended hunts and the key is fleshing well, salting, then let them dry as the water "pulls" out of the hide and they will do just fine.

Robbie.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytguy View Post
    If your going on a extended hunt in Aug for sheep, I would suggest that you learn how to properly care for the cape.. Turning the ears, spliting the lips, splitting the nose. etc.. and the blood out from a white sheep.. 2-4 lbs is all you need to adequetly salt one.. 4 lbs is worth its weight in gold if it means saving or losing a sheep hide..
    Thanks for the suggestion. I am familiar with all of those things, just curious how long before the hair starts slipping. Going to have a gallon ziploc bag bull of salt for each sheep, and the remainder of a 25# bag at the airstrip in case we get a griz or bou.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."