Thread: Cantwell

Default Cantwell

I heard Cantwell got taken over and you gotta pay to ride there now. Im in Iraq so this is news to me. Does anyone have any info on this.

Where in Cantwell? I rode there this past spring and we didn't have to pay any fees. We parked at the Igloo and rode in the mountain behind there.

Quote Originally Posted by scottycase View Post
    I heard Cantwell got taken over and you gotta pay to ride there now. Im in Iraq so this is news to me. Does anyone have any info on this.
    I don't know if it has changed, but Cantwell was (in the 70's & 80's) privately owned, yes the entire town was privately owned, there was other private property outside of the town of Cantwell. I think the part most people see on the Highway is outside of the original town.

Quote Originally Posted by scottycase View Post
    Taken over to a degree. The feds just finished conveying all the lands that the natives said was their own. Now you must pay a usage fee if you want to cross their property.

True.

Basically, Broad Pass has been conveyed to Ahtna Inc. There is a public easement on both sides of the Parks to access public lands beyond Ahtna property, but they have not been marked.

Supposedly some snowmachine orgs are working with Ahtna and BLM to get this done in time for this season. As I recall Ahtna charged $10 for a day pass and $75 for the season last year. I don't know what the rates will be for 09/10

I usually unload on the pull off around mile marker 196 or 198. Is that area affected by this. We cross over the highway and head out from there. Either playing in the trees if its snowing hard, or going back far into the hills.

Thanks for posting that map

Default access

The native corps CAN'T charge you for parking on the state highway right-of-way, nor traveling on said ROW. The natives will say they can but State law does not allow them to charge a "trespass" or usage fee on State (public) land. The easy solution to get around this fee is to park on the designated state highway pullouts and ride the ditch to the open areas that aren't conveyed to the natives. You can then ride East or West, avoiding native land all together. Then, what I think I'll do is set up a "trespass toll booth" at the edge of the city limits and charge people that aren't part of my "group" a trespass fee to enter the city. Yeah, that's the answer!!