Thread: Bird Creek Report 7/17; 7/21

Default Bird Creek Report 7/17; 7/21

I fished the afternoon high tide on July 17 and the super high tide the evening of July 21. There are a lot of pinks continuing to flush through the creek. On July 17, I caught 2 keepers on the incoming tide and one keeper on the out-going tide. Fished with number 4 orange vibrax. Saw one young boy across the creek catch a nice ~8 pounder; not sure of it was a chum or silver. Fished from 2pm to 5 pm. Had several tourists take some photos of me carrying my catch up to the parking lot; I hope they don't think pinks are the only salmon in AK.

On July 21; the tide was super high. Unless you were on the rocks below bridges; the water was nearly unfishable. I saw several folks slip in the mud as they tried to wade out towards the channel. I made several long casts but decided to save my arm and wait for the tide to fall. Some room did open up on the rocks near the outlet and I did manage two keeper pinks on the out-going tide; which I released. Saw one larger salmon hooked up but the fisherman was horsing it way to much and lost it at the bank. He had like 4 feet of line out, rod was bent way over, and the fish was flopping all over; must have had braid on because he pulled the hook; not sure if it was a silver but it was bigger. It was caught on a green and silver pixee. Fished from 8pm to 10:30 pm.

I did notice a few folks jerking their line through the water on their retrieves; I guess in hopes of snagging a fish. Not sure why people need to resort to snagging just to catch a fish;

I think I will wait several days for a more manageable high tide and try again. There are numeous pinks in catchable numbers. Next time I'll try a larger vibrax to target larger fish. Also the banks on bird creek are very slippery; it gives the the phrase river dance a whole new meaning.

Default Thank you

Thanks for the report. All these positive fish reports have me pretty phsyched for our trip next week. Can't wait !!

I was there last night from 7pm until around 10pm. The tide was huge all the banks were flooded. Only people catching were on the rocks under the bridge.
    What I found interesting is all the people I saw jerking out there to snag fish, then muscle them in just to release them??? Cant keep a snagged fish so why not just fish normal lol.

Anyway, Is this creek better to fish at High or Low tide??

The advantage of the high tide; is you get a slug of fresh fish entering the creek. I have been to Bird Creek during high tides and was able to fish the channel effectively without being on the rocks.
    However; when you get super high tides; like the past few days; it is hard to fish the channel (unless you are on the rocks); and the fish are a little more dispersed. So it may not be an advantage to fish the high tide then; but may be several hours before the peak of high tide. On days when you have super high tides; you will get a super low tide; as well. Hard to fish the big swing days.
    In general, I still like to fish the incoming or outgoing high tide; more fish are entering the creek. There are so many pinks in there now; I would think you could catch a fish about anytime tho.

Default Tide

We went down last night on the incoming and got our limit quick. And not under the bridge(I dont like it there at all) There is a great hole to fish if you know where it is. Saw a huge king swim by and we got a large chum also. And the key is lure selection....seen alot of people throwing so many different lures and not catching. The guys from work and My son and I stopped ang picked up some lures...had to show them which ones work on BIRD! I never use anything else.
    One shot one kill

Was there last night and caught and released around a dozen pinks on my usual orange yarn.

The land owner came out and yelled at everyone in the river upstream of the signs, saying he was calling the troopers and then proceeded to fish for salmon himself upstream of the signs. (Illegal according to the regulations)

I thought it was funny.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

fished this morning with roe. had a few good take downs and missed some. Dont know if the were silvers but maybe. its still a bit early one guy caught a nice buck on roe. other than that there are soooo many pinks in there its pretty crazy. you cant throw your spinner or pixie without snaggin a pink in the back