Thread: Shrimp Trivia

Default Shrimp Trivia

Having loaded up early this year my last trip's shrimp efforts were mainly an experiment to prove or disprove several things Ive been wondering about for some time.
    One of these questions was depth related as we usually hang in the 550 to 600 range. By droping 2 pots off the string we were able to gain another 150 ft of range safely. At this depth a certian peculuiarty was noticed that I'd like some input on. In the shallower water (550) shrimp are generally the same flesh color and become oranger after theve been on the surface a bit. At the greater depth in two locations that were part of my survey, the shrimp were decidedly oranger when they got to the surface! At another location this was not noticed and those bugs were the typical flesh color that is prevelant in the regions we frequent.
    This is really a small matter and other than satisfying my curosity has no real bearing on anything, they all taste the same.
    What else did I learn? Deeper water didn't yield any more shrimp however the ratio of bigger shrimp went way up. This is not a plus in my mind as their flesh is decidely softer than the 7 inch guys.
    And the rest of the results will have to remain a mystery for a while
    Mike

Hey Mike, since you're all "loaded up", I'd like to offer my services with regards to waste disposal for your research. After collecting your size and color data, drop the research subjects off at my house. I'll make sure that they're recycled through the most sophisticated of gastrointestinal processes. It's all natural and won't cost you anything! Oh, and bring butter and garlic if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Hey Mike, since you're all "loaded up", I'd like to offer my services with regards to waste disposal for your research. After collecting your size and color data, drop the research subjects off at my house. I'll make sure that they're recycled through the most sophisticated of gastrointestinal processes. It's all natural and won't cost you anything! Oh, and bring butter and garlic if you can.
    And if you don't want to haul them all the way to Anchor Town feel free to drop them off at the Cooper Creek CG between September 10th and October 3rd. I have the same disposal equipment as Brian and it's ISO 10628, 10993-3 and 14698-1, certified!!!

Maybe the color change is cause they are embarsed that you caught them that deep or maybe your hauling them up too fast and the LIGHT is making them change color faster ??? Your probaly fishing on a big patch of orange sea coral fans and the shrimp are matching the color around them ???
    Buy some more buoyline and you won't have to cut up your gear then you can set down to a 1000' or so and see what lurks that deep.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default I love the advice you get here!

Steve, your probably right on the first count as anyone who knows me knows what a fisherman I"M NOT! The fact that I can even catch these shrimp at all is testament to what I've learned from you and to the fact that I must of paid attention. Boy, where were you when I was in high school?

On the gear nothing gets chopped, I just dont braid the entire string when I go deeper BUT by next year we'll be running a bit different set up. I'll discuss this all with you later as Ive got a slightly different pot configuration I'd like to get built between now and then.

Also between now and then I'd like to find a home for the four you built me last year, 4 premium, custom weighted pots, bridles, 1100ft of line (float / sink) and bait jars = $250. This is a nice straight set up that any shrimp would be proud to take a ride in!

P.S, for you admin types, I'm familiar with the commision fees and have no problem with that, the post is listed here simply for exposure sake!

Mike

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default Shrimp triva?????????????

AHHHHWW!!!!! MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought this would be a thread on Famous Short people.....

"If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    AHHHHWW!!!!! MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought this would be a thread on Famous Short people.....

Like Danny DiVito or Herve Villechaize!!!