Thread: Legal Moose Definition

Default Legal Moose Definition

I have studied the video from the AK F&G about what is a legal moose.
    I have a few questions for those who know.
    Assuming at this point we are looking a width only, not brow tines (I know some of you are going to say......), I see the person in the video measured the width perpendicular from the skull. In most cases it is pretty easy to see where the greatest width is.
    But in the case where one side, say the left, has an extending point on the upper Palm and the opposite side has not much, and then say the right, has an extended point on the lower portion of the Palm (left lower side has nothing much), for purposes of legality, are they (F&G) comparing upper top measurement to lower bottom measurement of perpendiculars, or are measuring the greatest distance, Left upper to Lower Right perpendicular like what BnC measures?
    Also, BnC states you cannot count abnormal points into the width equation. If you have an abnormal point extending beyound the furthest Palm point, does F&G count it in the total width?
    Thanks for you insight, if you know the answer and not guessing.......

Default Do your Best!

If in doubt do not shoot, If you make a mistake take it home and eat it! DO NOT TURN YOURSELF IN! Learn from your mistake and try again next time. Each ADF&G OFFICE IS A ******* CIRCUS. You are at the mercy of the resident idiot!. Bottem line if you have to look twice to decide, pass!
    Louie

The way that the fish cops will measure a rack around here is this. They set the rack on the floor upright as if it were on the head of an animal. They then will slide one side against a wall. Then slide a box up against the other side. Measure the distance between the box and the wall.

So yes, you can measure from the tip of the widest stray tine off of each side of the antler, but you don't measure any diagnal distance. Make sense?

Default Legal Moose

Yes. What happens if you have an abnormal point extending further than the normal point on the Palm? Do they take it or not?

Default legal moose

I think they have to be 16 or older...... but to stay on the safe side, make sure they are at least 18

Call the troopers for a "real" answer". I do know that its perpendicular, as you pointed out. Whether you can take the "abnormal" points from each side is a very good question. If you can make 50 inches perpendicular using that point then there is no question. Although I have not seen the procedure ultra described, it makes sense.
    You can take louie's advise but I guarentee you it'll be a lot worse if they catch you with an illegal moose then if you turn yourself in.

Yes, the stray tine is counted when measuring as to whether it is legal or not. If you have a 12" tine that goes straight sideways off the palm rather than up and forward, your rack just got a foot wider! May not count for B & C but it does with the law. Once again, becareful judging that, You can't go wrong counting brow tines.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    You can take louie's advise but I guarentee you it'll be a lot worse if they catch you with an illegal moose then if you turn yourself in.
    Agreed. Turn yourself in if you make a mistake. You'll lose your moose and maybe get a minor fine. If you attempt to hide it and are caught, you'll lose your moose, get a fine, and potentially lose everything involved in the hunt up to and including your firearm, ATV, highway vehicle, etc. Honest mistakes are a learning experience, but deceptive behavior gives all hunters a black eye.

Default Legal Moose

My intent is not to get around the law. I just want to know how they are going to measure, if there was a question at hand. It seems to me reading the proc that there needs to be more clarification on these issues.

There's a good picture of how you should measure a 50" bull on page 34 of the hunting regs. You cannot go in an angle on either side, it must be perpendicular to the center line of the skull.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

the 50 inch rule is 50 inches at the widest point... o dont see B&C being involved in that at all... you want to score one? that is different....

so here is one not many know

left paddle....

broken off on other side stub or missing...

what does he measure?

>/50 he goes into the infinity rule.. ( yes there is one) you need somthing to measure the other side against. at least according to the F&G last year when we let one walk
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I always wondered what they (troopers) would say if someone shot a one horned bull, now we know.

Sounds like Vince has provided an easy answer.................if it measures less than 50, break off one side!!!!!!!!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Trade off

Too bad there can't be some kind of compromise that would allow a hunter to take a bull less than 50" home if a mistake was made.
    I would guess many non res moose hunters come up and only get one crack at a wonderful trip like that due to finances or health or whatever. To take a dandy 45 incher would still be an amazing trophy to most hunters.
    I have read that the fines are not drastic for a mistakenly shot undersize moose and I doubt the hunter gets the rack? What do you guys think if they offered this as a option.
    Hunter shoots smaller bull - say min of 40 " - he has the option of paying the fine and forfitting the animal or paying a larger sum - say $1000 - keeping the animal and cannot hunt moose ever again in Alaska?
    F & G would get more monies, hunter still has a trophy to cherish, would stop repeat offenders?
    Lets face it, there must be at least a few shot every year that are too small and the hunter's leave it and go on hoping to never be found - perhaps this would offset that tragedy?
    Would it work?

Default Doubt

The best advice is to listen to alaskalouie - "If in doubt, do NOT shoot".

Second advice is what you ask not to be included - count brow tines.

Third advice - hunt in units with no minimum size.

That should take care of any situation except a broken side - which Vince covered very nicely.

If you notice in my avitar picture - I didn't even have to think about that one.
    Last edited by Phil; 07-24-2009 at 07:07. Reason: added thought

The best think F&G can do is stop screwing with the measurement part and make it all by brow tines....Period.

Default Turn Your self in?

I've seen it done, 48" moose, 2 BT's. They reemed the guy! Honest mistake-YUP! Not to Bozo and the clowns, If you get pulled over turn it in. If not, eat it and try not to make the mistake again, I do not like to operate like this but the turn it in option is BS! Leaving it? is out, if it were sub leagal I'm eating it! I know I have let legal moose walk for I do not want the so called law in my camp.

I have seen F&G lay the horns against a wall and mark the outside points draw a line vertically and measure between. Crazy outside points were legal, i saw a 40" with a 2 foot dagger off the side, 60" take him home.

Last rant: If a person makes a mistake, give them one, F&G keep the critter of course.
    I would bet they would not repeat.

In the case of the 48" person, never to support ADF&G again.... Nor I, for they were trying to be decent and got treated poorly.

Good luck all!
    Louie