Thread: Canning smoked salmon

Default Canning smoked salmon

I thought I had seen a thread about this before but I cant seem to find it. I'm in the process of smoking my first batch of reds and have several more to go. I would like to preserve the majority of it for at least a few months so I plan on canning some.

My question is, what are the cooking times when canning already smoked salmon? Ive heard instead of smoking 4-6 hours to go for 1-2 hours, then can them at normal times and temps. Does that sound about right?

Also anyone have any other methods of preserving smoked salmon? How long will it typically last frozen or refridgerated.

Thanks in advance for any ideas/comments.

I am going to be making the dive into canning salmon here in the next month or so. We have a good family friend that has been doing it for years and she told me that she will do one pan of chips and let it sit for another hour after those chips are done. So 1-2 hours sounds about right.

I smoke 1 pan of chips through my Big Chief and pull the fish out as soon as the smoke is no longer rolling out the smoker. Any longer than that and the canned fish ends up too dry for my taste. Or just put a couple drops of liquid smoke in each can and skip the smoking process all together.

For canning smoked fish......I prep/brine the same as I would for all my smoked fish, smoke for about an hour with little or no heat, then can normally adding a few slices of jalepeno from a jar. Canning intensifies the smoke flavor so I intentionally undersmoke. If you cook the fish during the smoke process the canned fish will be dry. My smoked fish is a little on the sweet side and the jalepeno really works well.

Concur with Mr Pid. Smoke less for a moister fish, the canning will finish the cooking and dry it further. In addition to jalapeno slices, a smashed clove of fresh garlic (just a clove, not the whole bulb LOL!) works well. Use this for salmon patties, yummy!

exhust to a temp of 175 degrees, seal lid and then pressure cook at 15 lbs for 110 minutes.. they will be perfect
    I give thanks to the vetrans, as they have aided in my priviledge to hunt and fish the great State of AK. and alow me to sleep safely at night.

I only smoke my sockeye 30-40 minutes before canning. I added jalapeno slices to the jars as well. Seems to turn out excellent.

Default Ditto...

I also add a tablespoon of tomato sauce to my jars!!
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

It was suggested to me to fill the jars with a ratio of roughly 1/4 smoked salmon and 3/4 raw. The smoke flavor will permeate the rest of the fish. I've haven't tried this but it seems it would save a few steps...
    English is an odd language. It can understood through tough thorough thought, though.

As far as the smoking part goes do you prepare it the same way? Brine for the same amount of time, dry until a pellicle forms, etc.?
    -